JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Ole Miss preview: Time for Alabama to figure this Rebel team out
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 27th, 2017 03:25 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Sept. 27, 2017 Despite a victory over Ole Miss last year in Oxford, Nick Saban still uses the qualifier “two of the last three games” when discussing the Rebels and their ability to wreak havoc in games against Alabama. That the Rebels beat Alabama two years in a row still […]

Read More Here

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Basically from what I'm reading, Ole Miss more or less needs a repeat of 2015. If they can't run the ball and Alabama can thus keeping Shea Patterson off the field, then Alabama wins by at least two TD's. I just hope Alabama's defense doesn't make Shea Patterson look like Aaron Rogers.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It will take 3 turnovers by Alabama for them to only score 31 in this game, but I appreciate the work.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Sounds exactly like something I would have written. Lots of folks on here are prematurely writing off Ole Miss. I will be sweating bullets, assuming I can stay up that late. Thanks as always, Jess.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Good analysis. I think the score will be similar. They will give us their best game of the year. I am not worried about our offense but am a bit worried about Shea Patterson. They key is for us to start off well on defense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sounds exactly like something I would have written. Lots of folks on here are prematurely writing off Ole Miss. I will be sweating bullets, assuming I can stay up that late. Thanks as always, Jess.
Yeah, but you sweat bullets when Alabama plays Chattanooga. :wink:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
honestly, I would be disappointed if Alabama only scored 31 against this OM defense esp. at HOME.
South Alabama put up 27 and UT Martin put up 23 , both games were at Oxford.
we will wear them down late 3rd quarter with our punishing running game then I expect Tua to hit some late bombs when the game is in hand.

42-17 Bama

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Vandy was good against the run and we ran roughshod over them. Ole Miss, OTOH, is putrid against the run.

Hurts may not throw a pass and still finish with over 150 yards by himself.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Vandy was good against the run and we ran roughshod over them. Ole Miss, OTOH, is putrid against the run.

Hurts may not throw a pass and still finish with over 150 yards by himself.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
Prematurely or not, I am writing off Ole Miss. I truly believe the Alabama of last week will show up again and take the Bears to the woodshed.
48-7 the good guys.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Let's hope this game is over by half time and if I want to go to bed I can. However, no matter the score I will watch it to the very end. Never want to miss a Bama victory. RTR

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I respect everyone's reasonable opinions around here and I really do love reading Jess's articles. But a few of these statements really caught me off guard.

"Hurts has an edge in experience and is a better pure runner, but Patterson is leagues better as a pure passer. And Patterson also has a higher upside, particularly for big plays in the passing game.

So....everyone has just really given up on Jalen's development huh? Am I one of the few that has actually seen the noticeably vast improvement in several areas.....especially the deep ball. Plus the last two weeks have shown the mid-range plays coming together as well. But I guess the stat sheet is everything.

"If A.J. Brown were healthy for Ole Miss, we could stop the discussion now and just call it an Ole Miss walkover."

Jeez......I didn't realize our WR group was so inferior? Yeah we've had a few untimely drops and haven't passed as much yet but still....

"Being completely serious, it’s questionable whether Ridley would start for Ole Miss this year"

Are you being serious? Our BEST WR who is likely to finish the year in career yards #2 behind only Amari Cooper and above Julio Jones, DJ Hall, and Ozzie Newsome.....and who is going to be an NFL pick this coming year.... might not even start at OM???

I just really don't know how to properly address or respond to any of this?

I'd ideally like to win this week and most games by being balanced..... but at this point I'd love to see Jalen TORCH them for 400+ yards and 5 passing TD's with 2-3 WR's having 100+ yards and then see what everyone has to say?.....

Probably that 'Ole Miss's pass D just wasn't any good.....I still need to see more'.

Last edited:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Ole Miss may put up 23 off the strength of their passing game, but I expect Bama to score more than 31. When you say that Ridley might not start for Ole Miss but would make the top rotation, what does that mean? I assume that the top rotation is the receivers that start the game, but isn't that starting? What is the difference between starting and being in the top rotation? Thanks for the analysis.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
I think Bama will Cruise in this game wining big, Ole Miss doesn't have the D to stay with Bama they will try to make Alabama pass, I don't think they can shut down the running game, that will be their game plan. We win by 21

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Saban is the master of motivation. With not much but crickets from Ole Miss, Saban said in a presser today that the “ultimate disrespect” is when a team “quietly thinks they have your number.”

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Bama favored by 28. Are you saying it is a lock if you take Ole Miss and the points? Cause it sounds like a lock by the preview. And to tell the truth the Ole Miss QB worries me because Bama tends to try to contain not attack one such as that, and he has some really good receivers if they have time to run the routes. However, something tells me Ole Miss folds up in this one.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Rather than respond to anyone in particular, I'll just ask one general question:

If you're expecting this game to "go to script" -- meaning, Alabama beats Ole Miss badly and the game's not close -- were any of the last three games played according to script?

I don't know anyone who called any of Alabama's last three Ole Miss games correctly. What we're going to find out this time around is just how much of that was due to Hugh Freeze's ability to find weaknesses in UA's game, as that trump card is no longer in the deck.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.