Dabo Swinney continues preaching ‘never say never’ when it comes to replacing Saban

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Even next year is a long time to college football coaches. Dabo was smart to never say never. You just never know when an AD makes you an offer that's too good to turn down. ON THE OTHER HAND... Whoever follows Coach Saban will find themselves in the position that Coach Perkins was in when he followed Coach Bryant. He was second guessed on every thing he did or said. That's not really fair.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I'm sure they'll ask Coach Saban for a recommendation for a replacement when he retires. If Saban and Dabo are friends, and if Dabo is still winning it's probably a good bet that Saban will recommend him.
My pop always told me that if Coach Bryant were given his first choice for a replacement, we would have ended up with Pat Dye. Think about that.

Let's just wait and make sure that we don't have the big boosters shell out the cash for Raytheon to put Coach Saban's head on a cyborg. No blue font.:biggrin2:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You never know what's in a man's heart, but I'd be surprised if Dabo came back after Saban retires.

He's a God in Clemson, has lifetime job security, enough money that his unborn grandchildren are already set for life, and nowhere near the pressure and headaches that come with the Alabama job.

At Clemson, he is alone as their Wade/Thomas/Bryant/Saban. At Alabama, his top side is being the fifth one in the string....sixth, if you count Stallings in the group. Why do that?

If he did come, the decision would be an emotional one, not logical.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You never know what's in a man's heart, but I'd be surprised if Dabo came back after Saban retires.

He's a God in Clemson, has lifetime job security, enough money that his unborn grandchildren are already set for life, and nowhere near the pressure and headaches that come with the Alabama job.

Why leave that?

I would say that it depends on how the intervening years play out at Clemson. If he continues to recruit well, wins another championship and keeps them at the top of the sport, he will likely stay at Clemson for the reasons that you have laid out. However, if he finds it too difficult to recruit and win consistently at Clemson, he would probably be more inclined to go someplace where that is possible - someplace like Alabama.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I would say that it depends on how the intervening years play out at Clemson. If he continues to recruit well, wins another championship and keeps them at the top of the sport, he will likely stay at Clemson for the reasons that you have laid out. However, if he finds it too difficult to recruit and win consistently at Clemson, he would probably be more inclined to go someplace where that is possible - someplace like Alabama.
I think it's unlikely things dry up. He's still a young man and an excellent recruiter. Clemson has built incredible facilities. I see no reason it won't be Clemson and Florida State duking it out in the ACC as national powers for the foreseeable future.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

At Clemson, he is alone as their Wade/Thomas/Bryant/Saban. At Alabama, his top side is being the fifth one in the string....sixth, if you count Stallings in the group. Why do that?

Just my 2 cents if I may butt in -

I'm a big fan of Dabo Swinney as a Human Being. I think he's a great person, and any school would be lucky to have him as their coach because of who he is. I watched him play at UA when I was a grad student, watched him coach here as a GA (if memory serves) and as an assistant, without knowing his life story. Reading about his amazing path to even GET to UA, and since then - frankly, its inspriational.

That said, I've been a harsh critic of his maturity and his lack of control over his emotions. He's getting better at it, but frankly, Spurrier used to REGULARLY make a FOOL of Dabo by baiting him into Ridiculous outbursts. Not really the sort of thing I want in an Alabama HC.

But that said - want him or not - I've been saying for a while that its unlikely we ever have Dabo Swinney as our HC.

Why?

Because he's either going to keep winning at a high level at Clempson or he's not.

So what if he keeps winning at a similar level? Wins the ACC with some frequency, appears in the P_ayoffs more than once or twice. At this point, some 4-8 years from now, Clempson will be firmly established as a National power, and as noted, Dabo will be Clem's "Bryant" - he'll have statues on their campus, and be treated like a living God. AND, Clem would have all the Money in the world to meet and Beat ANY Possible offer Alabama could make. As you note, it would have to be a purely emotional decision - because he would have to Refuse a HIGHER offer from Clempson, AND take the risk of being the next "Ray Perkins" or "Frank Solich" - following a legend is a Tough Gig. Honestly, for every "Roy Williams" out there that Does take the risk, there are probably several who politely decline.

OR - his fortunes may fade and Clempson might sink back a bit. Maybe not to a 7-5 program, but maybe not winning the ACC all that often (and lets not forget - despite the hype, the ACC Is still a fairly Soft conference). So imagine its 6 years down the road. Clempson hasn't been back in the P_ayoffs, or hasn't been back in a few years. How much Hype is there for a guy who won One NC, 7 years prior?

Can't happen? No way Dabo Won't stay on top? Well - No one thought Jean Cheatnik would be unemployed 2 years after $Cum KNEWton. No one thought Barry Switzer would be unemployed after his amazing run at OU. No one thought Bobby Petrino would be fired at Arkansas. I could go on and on, but you get the point - Very FEW Coaches leave on their own terms.

Just my 2 cents.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
No one thought Barry Switzer would be unemployed after his amazing run at OU.
But, no one thought Jerruh Jones would really be stupid enough to hire him, either. After that, he was radioactive.

But, as to your main point:

Yes, he would be silly, to leave, if he stays on top. And risk it all, by trying to not to be Ray Perkins.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Does anyone know enough about Dabo to know if he has NFL aspirations? I feel like that could play a major part in this if he does.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The thing with Dabo is none of us know his inner thoughts on the matter. Clearly though, if he wanted to shoot down the Alabama talk he would. He hasn't. It would be one thing to say he grew up in Alabama. That doesn't necessarily mean you love Alabama football. He walked on to Alabama though. If you want to talk about the guys with the biggest hearts, the ones that want to be there the most, that's those guys. Then he worked for Alabama, not during the best times but it wasn't like he ran away first chance he got. I do not think there's any doubt when one takes it all in that he has a love for Alabama. This reminds me of Bobby Bowden in that from what I heard he would have come to Alabama if they didn't play games and demand he interview. You can only push that affection so far.

I think if it was in the immediate future, Dabo would say yes and Alabama probably would to. The thing is we're trying to peer further down the road. That gets tricky. It has been covered, but if Dabo keeps succeeding at Clemson his bond there might go stronger. On the other hand if he struggles Alabama's interest will go down. It's one of those situations where as of right now he'd be a top candidate, but in the future? Who knows...

Last edited:

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I will worry about who will replace Coach Saban when it becomes time to replace Coach Saban. Who will be available and attractive at that time will likely not look anything like who is attractive and available currently. I am confident we will make the best decision possible with the information we have available.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I will worry about who will replace Coach Saban when it becomes time to replace Coach Saban. Who will be available and attractive at that time will likely not look anything like who is attractive and available currently. I am confident we will make the best decision possible with the information we have available.
Agreed all around.

You just never know when a vacancy will crop up, or why.

So I'd speculate that Greg Byrne has a list of a half-dozen or so candidates for each and every sport, just in case. And I'm guessing he reviews it at least quarterly, re-jiggering the order, and adding or deleting names as the latest information warrants.

Hiring a new coach in any sport is always a risky proposition. But I'm confident that Byrne will make the best decision possible. He already did so in baseball, with only a short time in the chair.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The thing with Dabo is none of us know his inner thoughts on the matter. Clearly though, if he wanted to shoot down the Alabama talk he would. He hasn't. It would be one thing to say he grew up in Alabama. That doesn't necessarily mean you love Alabama football. He walked on to Alabama though. If you want to talk about the guys with the biggest hearts, the ones that want to be there the most, that's those guys. Then he worked for Alabama, not during the best times but it wasn't like he ran away first chance he got. I do not think there's any doubt when one takes it all in that he has a love for Alabama. This reminds me of Bobby Bowden in that from what I heard he would have come to Alabama if they didn't play games and demand he interview. You can only push that affection so far.

I think if it was in the immediate future, Dabo would say yes and Alabama probably would to. The thing is we're trying to peer further down the road. That gets tricky. It has been covered, but if Dabo keeps succeeding at Clemson his bond there might go stronger. On the other hand if he struggles Alabama's interest will go down. It's one of those situations where as of right now he'd be a top candidate, but in the future? Who knows...
Which is why I think Dabo strategically answered the way he did.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Up until the last 3yrs I myself scuffed at the idea of wanting Dabo to become our HC in all honesty, but, it's pretty obvious he's one of the absolute best in the game today..What I love best about Dabo is how hard his players plays for the man & how they would slap run through a brick wall for him..Dabo is a true players type HC that would slap run through a brick wall for his players..

I know quite a few Bama Fans that absolutely hates his coaching style, but, it's obvious his coaching style works great cause Dabo ain't nothing but a winner & that's exactly the kinda trait all us Bama Fans wants from our HC..JMHO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.