Dabo Swinney continues preaching ‘never say never’ when it comes to replacing Saban

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You don’t ever say never,” the Clemson head coach said in November of 2015, a little over a year before the Tigers beat the Tide for the 2016 national championship, when asked about such a possibility. “You don’t ever know what the circumstances would be at any given time.” Fast-forward to the here and now, and Swinney is singing from the same hymnal when it comes to talk of replacing Saban. “I’ve always said you never say never because you never know what the dynamics will be,” the coach said Wednesday on the Kirk Herbstreit/Ian Fitzsimmons podcast.

In August of this year, the 47-year-old Swinney — he’ll be 48 in November — reached an agreement on a new seven-year, $54 million contract that leaves him signed through the 2024 season. Swinney would owe the university a $6 million buyout if he leaves anytime between now and Dec. 31, 2018. That number would then drop to $4 million if he leaves before Dec. 31, 2019, then drops by $1 million each year through the same date in 2022. It would then be $1 million for the final two seasons on the deal. In May of this year, the 65-year-old Saban — he’ll be 66 in October — agreed to a contract extension that leaves him signed through the 2024 season. Saban will turn 73 years old during that 2024 season. A little factoid that might interest some: Swinney would be 56 at the start of the 2025 season, the same age as Saban when he took over the Tide in 2007.

They [Clemson] may run me out of here, they’ve [schools] fired Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno and you name it, so I don’t think about it,” Swinney said. “I just love what I do, whether or not I retire here or not, I have a long way to go. You can retire a lot worse places than Clemson, SC; this place is special. I love it. Who knows what God’s got in store for me down the road. I just kinda take it one day at a time, one year at a time. Hopefully, we can be about the right things and the right way. Who knows what God has planned for me 10-15 years down the road will be.”

Herbstreit pressed him on the issue if he would one day coach at Alabama after Nick Saban hangs it up.

“We just beat them [Alabama] for the National Championship I think,” Swinney joked. “First of all…anybody that would suggest that or say that I am humbled by that and certainly appreciate anybody that would even think that way that they would want me be a candidate for a job like Alabama or whatever. But that’s just kinda the fandom. You know people just naturally make connections and think things like that and they never really consider all factors. I’ve always said you never say never because you never know what the dynamics will be. Ten years from now, Alabama may call me and want me to come to Alabama and Clemson people may hate me at that point. I may have a terrible president or AD. There are dynamics that change. I have always focused on being great at where I’m at and blooming where I’m planted. All I know is there is nothing we can’t do here at Clemson. I don’t have to go somewhere else to win at the highest level.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ever-say-never-when-it-comes-to-alabama-talk/

I think we'd be lucky to have him succeed Saban. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
(Grabs Popcorn)

No seriously, I can't stand his style but I like that he wins and his players seem to love him and he doesn't grind on boosters or administrators so that seems to be a plus. Some around here seem to know some stuff from his days on the Dubose staff that make him unappealing or unsavory, and thus, unqualified to ever come back to this campus, but I don't know about any of those things.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I just don’t care anymore. The media seems to be pushing this down our throats and I just would rather not think about it anymore. Saban may well retire to the lake before 2024. That is a long way away and as Dabo points out things change. There may be an up and comer that is a better choice by that time or Dabo could start losing by then and be on a downfall. Who knows and who cares?

Seriously what the hell is with the offseason topics lately?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If I were Dabo, I'd let someone else take the job when CNS initially retires.
Agreed. Although if I was a non Championship winning coach I would want the job. Almost guaranteed to be in contention first couple of years because you would inherit Saban's recruits.

I think Dabo is just covering himself here. He can't say he will never leave Clemson because he doesn't even have complete control over that. Most coaches don't stay in one spot forever even after winning titles. Just look at Saban and Meyer. Plus I'm sure we are getting close to the moment when Dabo becomes one of the "hot" NFL coaching names.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Dabo is very wise to respond in the manner he is doing. You never want to paint yourself in a corner or pigeon hole yourself in the future with words you speak in the present. Because as he says, the same people who love you today are running you out of town the next. It's that fine of a line.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
Did Dabo say he wanted to come to 'Bama? When I read his speech, I think I see him saying that, without saying that.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think we'd be lucky to have him succeed Saban. Thoughts?
Coach taught me not to engage in hypotheticals so I won't. Actually, I shutter to think of our coach retiring and try to keep it in the now. I will repeat...no one will replicate Saban or the Process. We will get a care taker type like Myles who will slowly run it in the ground and finally a homer who will run it off the tracks. We are talking about a generational type personality in the coach we have and there simply ain't no one out there like him and that includes Dabo.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It may happen sooner than we think. I heard Coach Saban's going to Texas.

I do think Coach Saban is going to be a tough act to follow and most would suffer from the comparison.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Dabo is not crazy. He's in a strong enough position to milk some money and security from just repeating "never say never"

I'm not gonna worry about Saban any more than I am Tua. I still thought Major Applewhite is next in line behind Saban.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Dabo is not crazy. He's in a strong enough position to milk some money and security from just repeating "never say never"

I'm not gonna worry about Saban any more than I am Tua. I still thought Major Applewhite is next in line behind Saban.
FIFY

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I think he has proven himself at the top at a place where it is less likely one could have that success than say Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma etc. If it continues to prove out that he done it the right way instead of the Danny Ford way (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) I believe the possibilities are strong and I think he would win at Bama. I have no issue with the possibility at this point in time.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
It may happen sooner than we think. I heard Coach Saban's going to Texas.

I do think Coach Saban is going to be a tough act to follow and most would suffer from the comparison.
I would expect CNS will someday go to ESPN to replace Corso (the coach's seat). They would be crazy not to offer him the house and he would be awesome at the job.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Seriously what the hell is with the offseason topics lately?
I think that is a result of 59-0 and a complete domination. While we can have conversations like this, we just need the team to stay focused and put it on Ole Miss this week. No doubt that, CNS has them focused. 2 out 3 (and the way we got down last year before coming back) will help with that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.