What does standing for the anthem and flag mean?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Well, hey, some people really do like it and take it seriously. I really think it's subjective. I don't need it to get me in a lather about our country but not everyone who enjoys the anthem is taking part in pseudo-patriotic pandering. Whatever money the DoD put behind it or whatever motive the NFL has for playing it many many people use it as a genuine moment of reflection.
sure they do, doesn't change the fact that they are being fooled by the DoD and NFL's marketing budgets to see NFL football as an inherently patriotic event.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
sure they do, doesn't change the fact that they are being fooled by the DoD and NFL's marketing budgets to see NFL football as an inherently patriotic event.
Come on. Nothing is more American/patriotic than watching a bunch of millionaire primadonnas play football while drinking a $12 beer that helps fund the stadium owned by a billionaire primadonna.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: What does standing for the antehem and flag mean?

That whole Mike Pence thing was hilarious. Such a sham and I thought it was hilarious he used a photo from 2014 or whatever to show he was "ready for the game."
Explain this

I have no issue with players kneeling for a cause they believe in. Personally I would like politics and sports be separated when the game is on, but its whatever. But my biggest issue with this whole movement is how committed and genuine is Colin in this. He has made some headlines that makes many believe this is more of a PR movement because he was benched.
Not to make this into a Fidel debate (I doubt anyone disagrees he was oppressive) but SOME of what Fidel originally stood for and did wasn't bad. People like to make Fidel out to be this terrible evil dictator, and in many ways he was, but its important to understand the history of Cuba in general to understand Fidel and some of the positive impact he had on Cuba. Again, not a Fidel fan or anything but hey we had some founding fathers that did/said some things we would consider pretty awful and anti american today (Hamilton and Jefferson are 2 examples)

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

That whole Mike Pence thing was hilarious. Such a sham and I thought it was hilarious he used a photo from 2014 or whatever to show he was "ready for the game."
Not to make this into a Fidel debate (I doubt anyone disagrees he was oppressive) but SOME of what Fidel originally stood for and did wasn't bad. People like to make Fidel out to be this terrible evil dictator, and in many ways he was, but its important to understand the history of Cuba in general to understand Fidel and some of the positive impact he had on Cuba. Again, not a Fidel fan or anything but hey we had some founding fathers that did/said some things we would consider pretty awful and anti american today (Hamilton and Jefferson are 2 examples)
This whole thing is such a sham. If people hadn't got their panties in a wad over this in the first place nobody would still be talking about it now. It has taken on a life of its own.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

This whole thing is such a sham. If people hadn't got their panties in a wad over this in the first place nobody would still be talking about it now. It has taken on a life of its own.
well, the panties in a wad party won the presidency and have control of congress.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm guessing it's a word play.

John Piper (with the h) is a well-known Reformed pastor in Minnesota with a worldwide ministry.

Jon the Tidefans poster is well-known among us as something of a fiscal conservative/social liberal.

I'm guessing he's saying someone is singing the same tune as Jon and using a well-known name to make the point.

Maybe.....
Thanks Selma, I had no idea who he was talking about.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is not that I support the NFL players kneeling in protest that is their decision; it is that I am opposed to anything trump supports. Saw on ABC New that his and Pence's sham yesterday cost the U.S.Tax payer in excess of $242,000. Thanks.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The stand when he kneeled with his team last week or this weeks principled stand?
Maybe he is taking about Jones' decision to start a domestic abuser at RB? That would be right up the Trump supporters' alley.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I despise Gay Marriage and Abortion. Should I stop honoring the flag and the anthem in protest? After all, the flag and the anthem represent the freedom that gave the judges and elected officials the legal power to legislate those things I despise. Should I boycott, deny and disrespect the symbols of the freedom I love?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I despise Gay Marriage and Abortion. Should I stop honoring the flag and the anthem in protest? After all, the flag and the anthem represent the freedom that gave the judges and elected officials the legal power to legislate those things I despise. Should I boycott, deny and disrespect the symbols of the freedom I love?
do whatever you like, doesn't affect me

see how easy this can be?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am told by the politically correct folks that sitting or kneeling for the anthem instead of standing does not mean disrespect for the flag or country.

O.K. So now, you politically correct folk, tell me what standing for the anthem means. I'd like to know why I have done that all my life.
I haven't read the intervening 8 pages, but it's worth noting that 8 million Jehovah's Witnesses will not salute the flag; at least 200K Amish won't stand and most Quakers won't recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Their beliefs are sincere but not novel...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I haven't read the intervening 8 pages, but it's worth noting that 8 million Jehovah's Witnesses will not salute the flag; at least 200K Amish won't stand and most Quakers won't recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Their beliefs are sincere but not novel...
and must be protected as religious freedoms according to our idiot AG, I've been waiting for this to bubble up.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
For the people who still don't understand why players feel so compelled to protest racial inequality in police interactions, you should watch this video.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.