What does standing for the anthem and flag mean?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is how you ruin nice things. I'm with the others and just wish the anthem weren't associated with sporting events. At this point it is overplayed and to me that takes away from the significance.
I've long wondered why we have the national anthem before sporting events - seems very nationalistic. Same thing with military fly-overs (though I do love aircraft). It's like making kids pledge allegiance to the flag every morning at school.

Weird.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I've long wondered why we have the national anthem before sporting events - seems very nationalistic. Same thing with military fly-overs (though I do love aircraft). It's like making kids pledge allegiance to the flag every morning at school.

Weird.
To me the Olympics are fine. That's a national pride thing and representing your country thing. All the other stuff is just too much.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Weird.
Fly-overs are at least fun/cool. I mean, who doesn't like a good fly-over. The National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance have always felt very Orwellian to me.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
On the "Jon Piper" thing: Most of you are more political/religious than Literary. The poster was referring to the "Pied Piper of Hamlin", who played a pipe that compelled the children of the village to follow him to their destruction. His implication was that others were simply following Jon's lead without thinking things through. His mistake, and the same is true for most of us, is that when someone disagrees with you they just haven't considered the subject deeply enough.

Our President is not stupid, in spite of seeming that way often. He has not misunderstood the reason behind the protests. He chooses to misinterpret it for his own benefit. So he uses it to amplify his ulterior motive of making black men an object of scorn.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
On the "Jon Piper" thing: Most of you are more political/religious than Literary. The poster was referring to the "Pied Piper of Hamlin", who played a pipe that compelled the children of the village to follow him to their destruction. His implication was that others were simply following Jon's lead without thinking things through. His mistake, and the same is true for most of us, is that when someone disagrees with you they just haven't considered the subject deeply enough.

Our President is not stupid, in spite of seeming that way often. He has not misunderstood the reason behind the protests. He chooses to misinterpret it for his own benefit. So he uses it to amplify his ulterior motive of making black men an object of scorn.
It's good to see one of your excellent posts. I hope you have been well.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Well enough, CV, and thanks for the kind words. Life is full of ups and downs, but I now have resources I never had before because of my church. The Good Lord blesses me far more than I deserve, I think.

I still get enthusiastic about Alabama football, and I stay up with the political news. I just don't post as much as I used to.

It does surprise and upset me that people I know and respect still support this president, who I do not respect. I sometimes try to believe there is method to his madness: but it is difficult.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well enough, CV, and thanks for the kind words. Life is full of ups and downs, but I now have resources I never had before because of my church. The Good Lord blesses me far more than I deserve, I think.

I still get enthusiastic about Alabama football, and I stay up with the political news. I just don't post as much as I used to.

It does surprise and upset me that people I know and respect still support this president, who I do not respect. I sometimes try to believe there is method to his madness: but it is difficult.
I fear that it's more that there's "madness to his method"...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As a former service member, I think it is a reminder of the people who served before me, with me, and after me. At the same time, I do not put a great deal of importance in standing in salute of the flag for civilians. It feels too try hard and forced maybe even an indoctrination to compel specific domestic and world views. I do not feel like these grand public displays of patriotism for civilians amount to anything more than loyalty tests and indoctrination of unquestioning support of our imperial military machine.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
To be technical it could be a spelling error instead. :D

If you drop one o in the second word, then "your" becomes correct.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As a former service member, I think it is a reminder of the people who served before me, with me, and after me. At the same time, I do not put a great deal of importance in standing in salute of the flag for civilians. It feels too try hard and forced maybe even an indoctrination to compel specific domestic and world views. I do not feel like these grand public displays of patriotism for civilians amount to anything more than loyalty tests and indoctrination of unquestioning support of our imperial military machine.
Trump's using the flag goes back a long way. Google it...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For the people who still don't understand why players feel so compelled to protest racial inequality in police interactions, you should watch this video.

and now there is this

How The Heck Did A Black Man Beaten In C’Ville End Up Facing Assault Charge?

An odd statute tucked into the Virginia state code has led to a rather mind-boggling situation in which a neo-Confederate leader appears to have gotten a young black man who was brutally beaten in a Charlottesville, Virginia parking garage at August’s “Unite the Right” rally arrested this week on an assault charge.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
If your a college football player at this college, it mean getting cut from the team.
Kudos to the head coach and team for punting him off.

This was a division III team. But I think it sends a nice message.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/10/11/division-iii-player-cut-anthem-kneeling
Since you left out the context: the player wasn't dismissed because he knelt for the anthem. The player was dismissed because the team had agreed to collectively kneel prior to the anthem and stand during it, and Durante decided break the team's decision and kneel for the anthem as well.

Using this same logic, you must also think that Villanueva should have been fired for doing the same.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.