What does standing for the anthem and flag mean?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am told by the politically correct folks that sitting or kneeling for the anthem instead of standing does not mean disrespect for the flag or country.

O.K. So now, you politically correct folk, tell me what standing for the anthem means. I'd like to know why I have done that all my life.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: What does standing for the antehem and flag mean?

It's doing extra, showing that you recognize the importance and significance of what the Anthem, and flag represent. Those ideals and people who fought for them in whatever arena (I would even consider the civil rights battles) are there in that flag. I can't go to the graves of every soldier who has died, or every leader who has pushed and changed this country for the better, but I can stand up and take my hat off and give thanks for the country they helped create.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

O.K. So now, you politically correct folk, tell me what standing for the anthem means. I'd like to know why I have done that all my life.
It means that everyone else stood up and you didn't want to be the only one still sitting down?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

I'll be frank.

I have nothing but respect for my family and friends who have served, as well as the millions of others I've never met and will never meet. This is not in question.

That being said, pledging allegiance to the flag every morning for twelve years in school really numbed its meaning for me. Standing with hand-on-heart became a rote, thoughtless requirement every morning, and ceased being a moment of solemn contemplation. Hearing the anthem sung before every public sporting event throughout my life has done the same thing to those words. Nothing against Carrie Underwood or Lady Gaga, but IMO having pop stars lead the anthem undercuts any sense that's it should represent a moment of respectful remembrance. Things tend to lose their sanctity and meaning with repetition.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Nothing against Carrie Underwood or Lady Gaga, but IMO having pop stars lead the anthem undercuts any sense that's it should represent a moment of respectful remembrance.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I'll be frank.

I have nothing but respect for my family and friends who have served, as well as the millions of others I've never met and will never meet. This is not in question.

That being said, pledging allegiance to the flag every morning for twelve years in school really numbed its meaning for me. Standing with hand-on-heart became a rote, thoughtless requirement every morning, and ceased being a moment of solemn contemplation. Hearing the anthem sung before every public sporting event throughout my life has done the same thing to those words. Nothing against Carrie Underwood or Lady Gaga, but IMO having pop stars lead the anthem undercuts any sense that's it should represent a moment of respectful remembrance. Things tend to lose their sanctity and meaning with repetition.
agreed.

the nonsense that went on in the early aughts about freedom fries, flag pins, etc. pretty much stopped me from caring what self-appointed patriots thought about "respecting" the symbols of our great nation.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

Things tend to lose their sanctity and meaning with repetition.
Not for me. I might be different, strange, or whatever.....but I get a bit choked up toward the end of the National Anthem every time I hear it in person.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I'll be frank.

While that's a valid way to feel about the anthem do you think that the symbology of the flag or the anthem are ACTUALLY diminished because of repetition, or is it more a problem of the flesh that we deal with.

That is to say, just because it is repeated does not diminish the ideals (or sacrifices) that it represents. So even if it does become rote, is it something we should still consciously put emphasis towards?

(For the record, I think the pledge is creepy and borderline religious and I'm not sure how I'll feel about my kid saying it.)

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

While that's a valid way to feel about the anthem do you think that the symbology of the flag or the anthem are ACTUALLY diminished because of repetition, or is it more a problem of the flesh that we deal with.

That is to say, just because it is repeated does not diminish the ideals (or sacrifices) that it represents. So even if it does become rote, is it something we should still consciously put emphasis towards?

(For the record, I think the pledge is creepy and borderline religious and I'm not sure how I'll feel about my kid saying it.)
My respect for the meaning of flag and country are entirely independent of a pledge and a song.

I agree that the pledge has become a religious ceremony for the children of this country, and I stopped reciting it once I recognized that. Respect for the ideals represented by the flag come from knowing its history, not being forced to stand and face it every morning or lip syncing a pop superstar dancing beneath a $1 million laser show at a football game. I also think it's an appropriate form of peaceful dissent to kneel when public attention is turned toward the flag, if done in order to draw attention to the fact that reality is not meeting the ideals promised by that symbol. Rather than people getting angry at the act of kneeling, thereby making the issue all about themselves rather than their brethren, we as a society would be better served to not deflect from the real issue. Instead, we should ask ourselves why the ideals embodied by the flag aren't being met and how we can fix that. IMO.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I agree repetition can degrade the feeling one should feel when hearing the anthem. However, I still get a lump in my throat and teary eyed when hearing the anthem in certain settings, such as the Olympics or sporting events I attend in person. The reason for this is thinking about the great sacrifice many have made for this nation, and how fortunate I am to call it home. But as for the issue at hand, as I continually try to make an earnest attempt at educating myself, I can see how someone who is a minority might not have the same feeling or even if they do, might feel urged to protest. Or, might feel moved by this particular protest. And yes even if I myself feel that protesting in this way is probably more hurtful than helpful, I still wish we would all stop and listen to one another. Truly listen, and make a genuine effort to fix things.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

To answer the question I think that is something that only the individual can decide. I have always seen the Flag and Anthem as symbolism for our country as a whole not for one specific aspect of it. I am not one for symbolism though so very early in my life I stopped caring much about the pledge of allegiance and the anthem soon after that. I have a ton of respect for those that have and are serving our country in the military. I have many family members and friends who are active or vets but I have never connected the military to the anthem and flag before. That some people do is news to me in all honesty.

Anyway, I have always seen the flag, anthem, etc as symbols for our country that different people get different things out of based on their view and understanding of our country. So, I don't think I can answer why you have stood for it all these years because I've always seen that as a personal thing.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I know the word anthem was misspelled by accident in the title. I understand it means no disrespect towards it. Hopefully, nobody will direct this type stuff at you...

Any doubt the players hate the USA? They chose to respect the English anthem but misspell the US anthem.
See how silly that would be?

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Like it or not, the Pledge of Allegiance began and always has been about indoctrination and conformity. If not, why do those who ardently support it believe we should all do it? In unison?

I think if most people knew of the origins they would have different reactions than they presently do. Of course, many would not care.

My allegiance is not to a flag. It is to ideals and principles.

For that reason I have few problems with a respectful protest while the nation's anthem is played.

What does standing mean? Does it signify respect for the flag?

Sure. It can mean that to some.

Deeper down at the root though it means "getting with the program". Indoctrination and conformity.

Doesn't mean someone can't have strong feelings about it. Or that they don't believe every words they say.

But you can do that in private in your closet right after you pray there. (Matthew 6:6)

But it's done in public for very specific reasons and the meaning may vary from person to person.

One may be a true blue believer.

Another may wish to be respectful.

Yet another may wish to avoid scorn.

Yet, the underlying purpose remains.

Ditto for standing, hand over heart, for the National Anthem.

And I can get something in my eye every now and again when I hear it.

But the people and ideals of this country are more important to me than the flag, pledge, or anthem.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Saban responds to a question about disrespecting and not standing...

"I don't think that what these people are doing is in any way, shape or form meant to disrespect a veteran or somebody like yourself who has so worked hard, fought so hard, sacrificed so much to have a quality of life that we want to have," Saban said.

"One of the things that you also fought for and made sacrifices for was that we all could have the freedom to have choice in terms of what we believe, what we did, what we said," Saban said. "So, this is not something that ... look, I respect people's individual rights."

"I have my opinion in terms of what I would do and how I would do it and I'm not one to ever disrespect the symbols that represent the values of our country," Saban said. "But I also respect individual differences that other people have and I think they have the right to express those. Whether it's our players or somebody else, whether I agree or disagree, I think they have a right to do that."
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...e_pop?li_source=base&li_medium=default-widget

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

He is such a politician I find it funny. I'm sure a bunch of people will still be mad at his response but this is the closest to not offending anyone you can get. Saban seems incredibly good at this.
The caller that provoked the answer wanted Saban to throw Mark Ingram under the bus. As I expected, Saban was not willing to do that. He clearly understands the kneeling is not about hating the country, as has been suggested on this board.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

The caller that provoked the answer wanted Saban to throw Mark Ingram under the bus. As I expected, Saban was not willing to do that. He clearly understands the kneeling is not about hating the country, as has been suggested on this board.
Saban does something that many on this board have apparently either never considered or never tried

He thinks for himself

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

He is such a politician I find it funny. I'm sure a bunch of people will still be mad at his response but this is the closest to not offending anyone you can get. Saban seems incredibly good at this.
In other words...that was a very politically correct answer. :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.