Alabama by the Numbers - Week 4

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
"Stats are like swimsuits, they conceal as much as they reveal."
- Rick Majerus, ESPN commentator and long-time University of Utah basketball coach.
-----------------
Yes, it’s:
Alabama By The Numbers. Week 4

This is a Stats review that I've been doing now for 13 years on another board. What I do, is follow selected Statistical categories reported by the NCAA. For each stat category I try to give our upcoming opponents, as well as the SEC and NCAA leaders.

My source is the official NCAA stat pages as posted on the web (link below). If anyone finds any typo's - my apologies.

And also, As I say each year, Week 4 is WAY TOO EARLY to draw too many conclusions, and way too early to have any predictive value. Still, it IS a factual snapshot of where we are at this moment in time.

I start with a table comparing Alabama's SEC and National rankings with those of our next opponent, then I give a breakdown for each stat category I follow, showing the National and SEC Leaders, along with our upcoming opponents. In the summary table I show you how our average rankings compare to last year, as well as to our last Two NC teams - 2012 and 2015.

I used to post the spreadsheets to the other board, but their new software won't accept spreadsheet data, so now I just post a link.

CLICK HERE FOR LINK

NCAA Source:
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/

Thoughs, comments, or opinions welcome!!!

MODS - Please note - If this is not appropriate, or needs to be posted somewhere else - just tell me. I have no intent to break board rules, just trying to share the information!

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Interesting...Thanks!!! Lots of time and effort here. One thing that jumps out at me. OM averages 10 Penalties per game. Our opponents can't get a hold called on them if they're on the field with handcuffs...curious to see off one of the most penalized teams in all of CFB gets any calls against them. I honestly think this will be a fairly decent assessment of whether I wear a tin foil hat, or we are genuinely cursed in this particular area. -----------------

****Yes, it’s:
Alabama By The Numbers. Week 4

This is a Stats review that I've been doing now for 13 years on another board. What I do, is follow selected Statistical categories reported by the NCAA. For each stat category I try to give our upcoming opponents, as well as the SEC and NCAA leaders.

My source is the official NCAA stat pages as posted on the web (link below). If anyone finds any typo's - my apologies.

And also, As I say each year, Week 4 is WAY TOO EARLY to draw too many conclusions, and way too early to have any predictive value. Still, it IS a factual snapshot of where we are at this moment in time.

I start with a table comparing Alabama's SEC and National rankings with those of our next opponent, then I give a breakdown for each stat category I follow, showing the National and SEC Leaders, along with our upcoming opponents. In the summary table I show you how our average rankings compare to last year, as well as to our last Two NC teams - 2012 and 2015.

I used to post the spreadsheets to the other board, but their new software won't accept spreadsheet data, so now I just post a link.

CLICK HERE FOR LINK

NCAA Source:
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/

Thoughs, comments, or opinions welcome!!!

MODS - Please note - If this is not appropriate, or needs to be posted somewhere else - just tell me. I have no intent to break board rules, just trying to share the information![/QUOTE]

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
What's stands out about Ole Miss:
No rushing attack
No rushing D
low time of possession
lots of turnovers
lots of penalties
Long bus ride home

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Thanks for taking the time. As you point out, the longer the season goes, the more useful this will become. Looks suspiciously to me like Mississippi has moved to the Big 12-ish Defense Optional league. The patterns looks like one where they just throw it, stop the clock a lot, turn it over a fair amount of the time, and end with their defense on the field for far too much of the game. And a defense that perhaps wasn't that talented to start with.

Sounds to me like a Saturday night for our pass rushers to pin their ears back plus a healthy dose of RTDB + MHAQ + DTIO = winning, going away,

Thanks again.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There may be some who (rightfully) don't want to click on a link to a spreadsheet (google docs). Would you mind posting the info right here for all to view? I'm happy to help with that a little later on if needed. Haven't had a chance yet to look it over, but if you keep this up you'll be a very welcome addition around here.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't care so much about all the stats - they're interesting, but they can be deceiving - but the ones I do care about are scoring offense and scoring defense (Alabama is #1 in both). I don't care how they get the points or how they stop the other team from scoring, lead those two categories and you'll be nearly impossible to beat...

RTR

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
One thing I didn't see in there (perhaps I missed it) is opponent penalties per game. Everyone remember last season when Alabama ranked dead last (128 out of 128) in opponent penalties called. This season through 4 games Alabama ranks 125 out of 130. Some things NEVER change!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I mentioned the same thing earlier. They average 10 penalties per game. Let's see how that turns out...
One thing I didn't see in there (perhaps I missed it) is opponent penalties per game. Everyone remember last season when Alabama ranked dead last (128 out of 128) in opponent penalties called. This season through 4 games Alabama ranks 125 out of 130. Some things NEVER change!

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Its actually one of my Favorite stats (at least lately) but its not kept by the NZAA, and so far I have not incorporated it into my spreadsheet.

But here's the link: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalties-per-game

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
There may be some who (rightfully) don't want to click on a link to a spreadsheet (google docs). Would you mind posting the info right here for all to view? I'm happy to help with that a little later on if needed. Haven't had a chance yet to look it over, but if you keep this up you'll be a very welcome addition around here.
I would appreciate any help. Maybe we can chat off-line next week?

I had always posted the data directly to the board, but the new software they adopted at the other site after the CBS buyout is VERY Inferior and doesn't support spreadsheet data in cells - so it ends up just as jumbled strings of numbers.

I'm not up on what the risks might be, but certainly willing to see if there's a way to do it that doesn't cause any concerns!!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I had always posted the data directly to the board, but the new software they adopted at the other site after the CBS buyout is VERY Inferior and doesn't support spreadsheet data in cells - so it ends up just as jumbled strings of numbers.

I'm not up on what the risks might be, but certainly willing to see if there's a way to do it that doesn't cause any concerns!!
If you'll export it as a .pdf and post it here everyone will be happy. I can even host the .pdf on one my servers if needed.

tidegrandpa

All-American

I personally don't care how you do or did this but it worked and I'm thankful for the work, just finding these stats isn't as easy as it used to be. Thanks a bunch.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.