News Article: GOP tax reform benefits top 1% and businesses

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I didn't say all taxation was bad, my point is that unless / until we reduce the wasteful spending, I'll be 100% against any increase in taxation and will favor any reduction.

People fretting over other people's money instead of demanding a change in the wasteful nature of the federal government is as bad as the waste itself, imo.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I didn't say all taxation was bad, my point is that unless / until we reduce the wasteful spending, I'll be 100% against any increase in taxation and will favor any reduction.
Fair enough. But realize that's a very idealistic stance that ensures you'll essentially never support increased taxation. To draw a simplistic analogy, I liken inefficiencies in tax handling to heat byproducts in chemical reactions: some energy (i.e. money) is almost always lost in the transfer. Of course, in chemistry and in government, I always favor increasing efficiency whenever possible, and you'll always have to decide on a case-by-case basis if the inherent inefficiency of a reaction is worth the end result. But if you simply refuse to attempt anything less than a 100% efficient transfer, you'll never create anything new or better than your starting products.

Again, not trying to convert you or anyone else. That's just how I view things.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Fair enough. But realize that's a very idealistic stance that ensures you'll essentially never support increased taxation. To draw a simplistic analogy, I liken inefficiencies in tax handling to heat byproducts in chemical reactions: some energy (i.e. money) is almost always lost in the transfer. Of course, in chemistry and in government, I always favor increasing efficiency whenever possible, and you'll always have to decide on a case-by-case basis if the inherent inefficiency of a reaction is worth the end result. But if you simply refuse to attempt anything less than a 100% efficient transfer, you'll never create anything new or better than your starting products.

Again, not trying to convert you or anyone else. That's just how I view things.
And if you accept increasing waste, you'll never stop searching for ways to take other people's money.

Case in point, how much more do you send the IRS via optional taxes? I think it's safe assume the answer is zero.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The idea that the federal government is only slightly inefficient is laughable. And much of these "have-to-haves" should be done at the state level. In previous threads I've listed waste in the high hundreds of billions of dollars. I put together these lists quickly without even getting into to waste at the DoD. No doubt the government squanders more than a trillion dollars each and every year. But, the problem is not enough taxation? When the Left won't even admit that government is inherently wasteful they can't be taken seriously.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Oh please. You and I both know they don't pay a higher percentage. They get to work all the loopholes.
That is quite a broad brush. Many businesses don't have access to the "loopholes" that you reference. The idea of the 1% and the "middle class" exists in businesses too. This tax plan is trying to help those "middle class" businesses.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
And if you accept increasing waste, you'll never stop searching for ways to take other people's money.

Case in point, how much more do you send the IRS via optional taxes? I think it's safe assume the answer is zero.
As I said earlier, I was never expecting you to agree.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Depends on how you define "rich," I suppose. Personally, I'd rather have well-maintained roads, ensure adequate access to health care for others, and live among an educated citizenry; if the cost of improving society (as well as, by extension, my own living conditions) is a slightly higher tax rate on my income, I'm fine with that tradeoff. But maybe I only feel that way because I don't come from money. Not long ago, I was keeping detailed spreadsheets just to ensure I made it to the next paycheck, and an unexpected expense of a few hundred would have been a crisis. I'm still very sensitive to that, which probably explains my animosity towards regressive taxation. Also, the empathy score.
I don't come from money (my parents were born in the back woods of Lamar County, Alabama, and grew up picking cotton, etc.), and I don't feel the same way as you do about "that tradeoff". My parents didn't feel that way and neither did my grandparents. All very self-sufficient people doing the best with what they had and not worried about what others have and don't have.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I don't come from money (my parents were born in the back woods of Lamar County, Alabama, and grew up picking cotton, etc.), and I don't feel the same way as you do about "that tradeoff". My parents didn't feel that way and neither did my grandparents. All very self-sufficient people doing the best with what they had and not worried about what others have and don't have.
Yeah, it's funny so see the attempted diversion of "The rich were born into money; they don't deserve it." Three things: One, if someone is born into wealth, good for him. I'm not jealous of his good fortune. That money was made by that guy's family. It doesn't belong to anyone else. Is it better for the government to steal it and waste it? Hell no.

Two, a big reason my wife and I work as hard and invest as wisely as we do is to guarantee the prosperity of our daughter, her cousins, her future children, etc. Somehow, that concept is offensive to the Left.

Three, I know many wealthy people. None were born into money. Most are immigrants who made their fortunes via years of hard work.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Yeah, it's funny so see the attempted diversion of "The rich were born into money; they don't deserve it." Three things: One, if someone is born into wealth, good for him. I'm not jealous of his good fortune. That money was made by that guy's family. It doesn't belong to anyone else. Is it better for the government to steal it and waste it? Hell no.

Two, a big reason my wife and I work as hard and invest as wisely as we do is to guarantee the prosperity of our daughter, her cousins, her future children, etc. Somehow, that concept is offensive to the Left.

Three, I know many wealthy people. None were born into money. Most are immigrants who made their fortunes via years of hard work.
So this whole thing is about giving immigrants a tax break?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I wasn't implying that everyone from a similar background felt the same.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As I said earlier, I was never expecting you to agree.
Fair enough, though I'm curious as to how much more you send the IRS via optional taxes, since you are arguing that funding the government helps your fellow citizens. Or is it only good to help them when other people do the excess funding?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Fair enough, though I'm curious as to how much more you send the IRS via optional taxes, since you are arguing that funding the government helps your fellow citizens. Or is it only good to help them when other people do the excess funding?
I don't think it follows that believing taxes serve some communal good means I must pay more than asked in order to validate that opinion.

Look, I think we've both expressed our views clearly and amicably. It's probably best to leave it at that.

Last edited:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Maybe What the government does not tax you that you feel like you owe to society you can give in direct charity. Several on this board were advocating it a few weeks ago. It eliminates government waste and you control the outcome more. My only problem with it as I said a few years ago: do we honestly think the people with the means to do this ate charitable enough to pick up the government's slack if the government stopped redistributing rich people's money and left it up to the citizenry to fix it's own problems? I do not. I think the millionaires would hold onto their money more than donate it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.