Butch Jones death watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I believe with this stretch coming up if he doesn't win one of them, he won't last the season. He may not be the only coach to go during the season. Give him 5 more years.
Unless / until the fans start staying home and boycotting Neyland, Botch is safe. UT doesn't have the cash to make the change right now. People don't seem realize the magnitude of firing a highly paid coach / staff and replacing them - unless it's for cause, the buyouts make it nearly impossible. These aren't NFL teams, these are school athletic departments, a vast majority of which already operate in the red.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Unless / until the fans start staying home and boycotting Neyland, Botch is safe. UT doesn't have the cash to make the change right now. People don't seem realize the magnitude of firing a highly paid coach / staff and replacing them - unless it's for cause, the buyouts make it nearly impossible. These aren't NFL teams, these are school athletic departments, a vast majority of which already operate in the red.
I talked about that in the other thread.. It's unlikely they will fire Jones.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I need to contact some of these coaches agents, They seem to be able to land some sweet contracts for guys who cannot coach. I think many here could do as well and for much less money hehe

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Butch Jones comes to Memphis looking for love, is shut out again

Butch Jones walked into the Marriott ballroom and took his seat at the head table and it felt vaguely sad.

“Any other time, when the Tennessee coach would be here, there would be hundreds of people,” said Jim Reedy, a Tennessee fan. “And when he walked into the room, everyone would stand to applaud.”

There were not hundreds of people.

Nobody stood to applaud.

The plates of chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans may as well have been a last meal.

“I needed a little love so I thought I’d come to West Tennessee,” said Jones.

He was shut out, again.

But give the guy credit for showing up, anyway, for his annual visit to the Memphis Touchdown Club. When you get shut out by Georgia 41-0, even the name — Touchdown Club — is a potential punch line.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yikes. I almost feel sorry for him.
I honestly do - he seems like a good guy, but he's in WAY over his head.

The part that bothers me is how fans treat these coaches - I guess it goes hand in hand with the anonymity of the internet, but people say the worst things about coaches they want fired. hey would NEVER say this stuff to the mans face, but they get online and rip him apart...

Yah, I'll have fun at their expense (as in calling him 'Botch'), and I wouldn't want him within 100 miles of Alabama's coaching staff, but she of these fans need some perspective in their lives.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The part that bothers me is how fans treat these coaches - I guess it goes hand in hand with the anonymity of the internet, but people say the worst things about coaches they want fired. hey would NEVER say this stuff to the mans face, but they get online and rip him apart...

Yah, I'll have fun at their expense (as in calling him 'Botch'), and I wouldn't want him within 100 miles of Alabama's coaching staff, but she of these fans need some perspective in their lives.
Some guys are just better suited for a lower level job. Might be their personality, the stress of the job, or something else, but some guys are better off staying at a lower level job and dominating there.

Butch seems to be that kind of guy.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
And sometimes guys just don't culturally fit. To be honest, neither Kiffin nor Jones seemed to by Tennessee Vols type coaches.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Completely agree. If a guy isn't an elite coach, I got it. No reason to treat someone like dirt though. Only reason I said "almost" is because he is making a couple million a year to basically exist in the seat.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...If a guy isn't an elite coach, I got it. No reason to treat someone like dirt though. Only reason I said "almost" is because he is making a couple million a year to basically exist in the seat.
To paraphrase that dude who sung "Walking in Memphis" - or in Botch's case, "Dead Man Walking (and Talking) in Memphis:"

They've got fried chicken on the table
They've got angry UcheaT blather in the air
And none of 'em not even ol' Smokie's glad to see you
When, at surviving, you ain't got much of a prayer
And Botch, you got no prayer in Memphis, much less Toxville...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Five years and Botch has a young team, over-matched and losing. I say it is not his fault. Give him five more years.
The whole "young" team line is stupid. On our next to last offensive touchdown play last week, we were playing EIGHT true freshmen. EIGHT. two other true freshmen contributed during that drive and throughout the game. Of those ten, many had been playing pretty early in the game, well before it was a blowout.

On Defense, we played at least 6 true freshmen, and I thought Mathis also played but it's not updated on the participation chart.

Our depth chart is FULL of underclassmen. Our staff coaches ours young guys up. No reason they can't do the same ...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The whole "young" team line is stupid. On our next to last offensive touchdown play last week, we were playing EIGHT true freshmen. EIGHT. two other true freshmen contributed during that drive and throughout the game. Of those ten, many had been playing pretty early in the game, well before it was a blowout.

On Defense, we played at least 6 true freshmen, and I thought Mathis also played but it's not updated on the participation chart.

Our depth chart is FULL of underclassmen. Our staff coaches ours young guys up. No reason they can't do the same ...
You realize that Alabama has more talent in its freshman class than most teams have across their entire roster, right?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Yes. I was being sarcastic, but I do hope they keep him for a long, long time.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You realize that Alabama has more talent in its freshman class than most teams have across their entire roster, right?
yep, sure do. that's the point. it's not about how young or not young the team is, it's about how talented it is, which is both raw talent incoming and how well it's developed once it's there. Our staff does a great job of that; Tenersee's staff, not so much.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Derrick Dooley's biggest win was against Butch Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.