Butch Jones death watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
As I said earlier, I definitely think Butch is out. The timing of it is the only question left. I’m beginning to think that Tennessee may go after James Franklin. I see Chip Kelly going to UCLA or somewhere else our west, and Bob Stoops is not coming out of retirement. Not sure he would leave Penn State though, but I bet he would at least think about it for $7 million/yr. personally I hope he stays put. I think Franklin is legit and could potentially build a dynasty in Knoxville—we definitely don’t need or want that.
Would Dabo leave Bama if he had them at number 3? That's what you're saying when you think Franklin is leaving Penn State. That's his Bama. His Mama. He was born in Pennsylvania. Would you leave your home State University that you've almost restored to prominence to start over at a dumpster fire, for just money?

My bet is Jeremy Pruitt. Weakens Bama and he's a great recruiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Would Dabo leave Bama if he had them at number 3? That's what you're saying when you think Franklin is leaving Penn State. That's his Bama. His Mama. He was born in Pennsylvania. Would you leave your home State University that you've almost restored to prominence to start over at a dumpster fire, for just money?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I would be shocked if they went after a college coordinator. IMO, Pruitt's a great DC, better than Smart, but that doesn't necessarily translate to HC, though I guess he would at least be good. But UT can't afford to take another chance. They're nuts if they do. Even HCing newcomers like Campbell, Brohm and Wilcox would be more likely than Pruitt.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't see them giving a guy his first head job given the state of their program.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
'Sip, this is the crux, IMO, of why auburn wound up with a guy like Malzahn and LSU wound up with a guy like Orgeron. These programs; along with UT, Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc- they aren't getting a name like Chip Kelly or Bob Stoops (pipe dreams even under ideal circumstances) while Saban is at Bama.

They really have 2 choices:

1. Roll the dice and hire an up-and-comer or a coordinator and hope you end up with the next Dabo and not the next Ron Zook.

2. Hire a rehab project- someone who is a proven commodity but has an immense amount of baggage (Petrino, Kiffin, etc) and hope they don't burn the program to the ground.

Realistically, they'd all be better off to just stay the course...lest they continue down the road of trading a Miles for an Orgeron, a Dooley for a Jones, or a...do I dare say it, a Muschamp for a Mcelwain. What do you realistically expect to gain?
I don't know whether I'm an up-and-comer or a rehab project (probably more the latter), but I am available if the Vols call.
Just sayin'...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't see them giving a guy his first head job given the state of their program.

They might be more inclined to after seeing what Kirby is doing with UGA. I realize UGA was in a little better shape when Kirby took over than UT is now but someone like Pruitt might be there best option..

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
As I said earlier, I definitely think Butch is out. The timing of it is the only question left. I’m beginning to think that Tennessee may go after James Franklin. I see Chip Kelly going to UCLA or somewhere else our west, and Bob Stoops is not coming out of retirement. Not sure he would leave Penn State though, but I bet he would at least think about it for $7 million/yr. personally I hope he stays put. I think Franklin is legit and could potentially build a dynasty in Knoxville—we definitely don’t need or want that.
They may go after James Franklin but why in the world would he leave a storied program like Penn State when he has them top 3 in the nation? You don't leave Penn State for Tennessee. You leave Penn State for Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, OSU, USC maybe...But sure as hell not for Tennessee.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Jeremy isn't ready for that job.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What's hilarious is that many tennessee fans are convinced (again) that they are going to hire Jon Gruden. They want, more than anything, to break the bank to hire a man who has never coached college football, never recruited, and hasn't coached a football team in nine years.

They want him over Les Miles: a guy with a NC (who played for another and likely would have won 2-3 more if Saban weren't in the SEC) and two SEC titles (again likely more if not for Saban), who has been out of coaching less than a year, and who is known to be an excellent recruiter. When someone mentions his name, they act like the poster is insane.

I hope like crazy they get their wish, hahahahahaha

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Don’t see that happening. I think they will want someone with HC experience on their resume.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
What's hilarious is that many tennessee fans are convinced (again) that they are going to hire Jon Gruden. They want, more than anything, to break the bank to hire a man who has never coached college football, never recruited, and hasn't coached a football team in nine years.

They want him over Les Miles: a guy with a NC (who played for another and likely would have won 2-3 more if Saban weren't in the SEC) and two SEC titles (again likely more if not for Saban), who has been out of coaching less than a year, and who is known to be an excellent recruiter. When someone mentions his name, they act like the poster is insane.

Agree on all points here- and the Gruden shtick is just hilarious. Miles would be an excellent choice for them based on the points in your post, plus the fact that he knows the SEC quite well and knows where the fertile recruiting grounds are. They are fools if they don't at least gauge his interest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Franklin is a dbag, check out his final year at Vanderbilt and why he left so quickly. If you are willing to take a chance on someone with baggage IMO, Petrino is their guy. Having 3 players in prison for gang rape and meeting with the victim in an effort to silence her is more egregious than having an affair with a 20 something, wrecking your bike and explaining to your wife.

If I was looking at an up and coming young coach, Jeff Brohm at Purdue would be at the top of my list or the HC at Boise State. If they go the route of coordinators, then Pruitt, Aranda and Venables should get a look. One other name I have heard is Greg Schiano, DC at tOSU and former Bucs and Rutgers HC. Whatever happens it is going to cost them some coin.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I don't know whether I'm an up-and-comer or a rehab project (probably more the latter), but I am available if the Vols call.
Just sayin'...
Same here, and I'm already in Knoxville. Very convenient. Just toss a measly 5 million my way and we're on. I'll rebuild the program stone by stone and say things like, "We woulda won if that other team hadn't been on the field. That's how close we came."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think Gruden would be stupid to leave the gig he has right now.
Yep, I read that he's ESPN's highest paid on air personality. I think he gets around $7M/year do to MNF games and the Gruden QB camp. Why would he go from working part time making $7M/year to being a college head coach which requires you to work a ridiculous amount of hours year round? He'd be taking a pay cut and having to work at least twice as much. Just doesn't make sense..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Franklin is a dbag, check out his final year at Vanderbilt and why he left so quickly. If you are willing to take a chance on someone with baggage IMO, Petrino is their guy. Having 3 players in prison for gang rape and meeting with the victim in an effort to silence her is more egregious than having an affair with a 20 something, wrecking your bike and explaining to your wife.
An AD at a school dealing with Title IX issues (like tennessee) would have to be very careful about hiring a coach like Petrino - a coach who lied to his AD about his involvement.

As an AD, Petrino's character issues alone would keep me away, but his team's performance is also enough for me to say 'no thanks'. All offense (and generally ineffective offense against good defenses) and no defense. Petrino is a B12 coach.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If I was looking at an up and coming young coach, Jeff Brohm at Purdue would be at the top of my list or the HC at Boise State. If they go the route of coordinators, then Pruitt, Aranda and Venables should get a look. One other name I have heard is Greg Schiano, DC at tOSU and former Bucs and Rutgers HC. Whatever happens it is going to cost them some coin.
I don't see any reason why Franklin would consider leaving Penn St for UT. I'm sure Penn St would match whatever offer UT produced. Maybe because the SEC East is an easier division right now but UGA looks to be back and UF could have a resurgence at any moment with the amount of talent in UF..

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Gruden has it made. He's not going any where. Lots of money, no stress and free beer.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Agree on all points here- and the Gruden shtick is just hilarious. Miles would be an excellent choice for them based on the points in your post, plus the fact that he knows the SEC quite well and knows where the fertile recruiting grounds are. They are fools if they don't at least gauge his interest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I bet Miles goes to Ole Miss to be a complete thorn in the side of LSU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think Tennessee is going to do the "dip into the G5" thing, like they did with Dooley and Jones. They save money and give them selves at least three years to "get their players/system in." They may strike gold, who knows. Why break the bank when you lose to Alabama every year and probably Florida and Georgia. At best 10-2 every year, so why not save some money.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
An AD at a school dealing with Title IX issues (like tennessee) would have to be very careful about hiring a coach like Petrino - a coach who lied to his AD about his involvement.

As an AD, Petrino's character issues alone would keep me away, but his team's performance is also enough for me to say 'no thanks'. All offense (and generally ineffective offense against good defenses) and no defense. Petrino is a B12 coach.
Auburn has their "Welcome Coach Bobby Petrino" carpet ready to roll out too. ;) It's still in Pat Dye's garage from the last debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.