This Saturday showed a few things about a few teams

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think LSU is stuck for at least two more years. I was on campus for the game last year, and it was in terrible shape. O has a $12 million buyout this year, $8 million next.

They flat-out can't afford that, especially so soon after giving Les a multi-million dollar goodbye kiss.

They have a mess, and no way to clean it up.
They could have signed Orgeron without such a huge buyout. I have no idea why they did that, and hope that it haunts them because of the way that they treated Miles.

The entire state is broke, they couldn't afford the Miles' contract buyout, but they went ahead and gave a failed HC in Orgeron a monster contract because he kept LSU competitive against Alabama (in a loss) last year as an interim.

1) SEC is separated between Alabama, UGA, and AU. It's everyone else below them. Very top heavy IMO. I'm not sure if any of the non-top tier SEC teams this year would beat same ranked within conference teams from other conferences. An AU friend said it best to me today, "This year's collective offenses in the SEC has to be worst in recent memory. UA and UGA have strong offenses, but as a whole, they're dragged down by everyone else in the conference." I agree.

2) Alabama, UGA, and AU all have similar concerns that no one really knows how good they are; I love Alabama, but are the teams they've beaten thus far this year a legit measuring stick? I don't know. It's out of their control how the teams play outside of playing Alabama, and if they win out, they'll be in the playoff. They definitely have the coaching acumen to shore any weaknesses. I'd say the same for UGA and AU; due to their competition, we don't really know a lot about them. MSU looked like a serious challenger when they beat LSU, and now they've been blown out by UGA and AU. LSU lost to Troy, so that takes the shine off of MSU's win.

3) It's only a matter of time for UT to fire Jones. The players gave up against UGA. Like Funnymaine Johnson, Florida Skate can only skate by so many times before they get burned. UGA has been down the last two years which helped them make it to Atlanta; I don't think they'll make it three times in a row this year.

4) In terms of national leaders, there's a clear dividing line b/w a group with Alabama, Clemson, PSU, OU, and everyone else. After that group, I'd put in Stanford, USC, Washington, TCU, Ohio State, and Miami as potential teams that replace one of the above should they falter.
I get what you are saying, but let's not forget that when facing FSU a team that probably would have won the ACC Bama beat them. I know what they look like now, but that's because of what happened during the Bama game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Botch might be fired this season, but my understanding is that unless things fall completely apart he'll have another year. Too much money involved. Same with Orgeron - his buyout after this season is an incredible $12m (in addition to what they're paying Les, who isn't coaching, so there's no salary offset), so O will almost certainly be back in 2018 even if they don't win another game in 2017. That said Alleva (LSU AD) is probably going to lose his job over the Orgeron hire (and the astonishingly stupid contract he gave O).

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
We are definitely the best team in the SEC, followed by UGA and Auburn. The game between the Dawgs and Auburn will be a good indicator of how good both of those teams really are. I do think we are capable of beating both but it would be a close game. Wish we had Auburn at home this year. Weird things happen in the Iron Bowl. If we can avoid injuries from now until then, that would help a lot.

Our game this weekend v Texas AM looks like it will be in great weather. I'd like to attend a game there sometime. I heard the stadium is nice and the fans are welcoming. They seem to look better each week with their run game. I know Saban will have a good plan for their emerging dual threat QB. I'd rather him be pro-style like their starter was but at least Mond is young and our Defense can probably rattle him early. Also, didn't they have some decent rushing yards against us last year? Hope the loud crowd won't bother our team too much. I think this is the first true road game this year (FL state was neutral site and Vanderbilt was mainly Bama fans). I think we will win by 14-17, but hopefully it will be more than that.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Playing the game at Jordan-Hare is a serious advantage for Auburn. It just always has been. The only time we've really clobbered them there, they were a bad team (2011). In 2001, they were a decent team, and we did dominate that game, but mostly in the second half. Which is no less impressive. That's the only time they had a decent team and we dominated them, and that was after a fairly even first half.

But this year's Alabama team looks different. I'll admit that Vanderbilt and Ole Miss are both destined for losing seasons, especially Ole Miss. However, as I stated in another thread, this Alabama team is playing mad at the world. If we can maintain that (and stay healthy from this point forward!), then I think things will break from the usual in November. Usual being tough games against LSU and Auburn.

Having said all of that, I'd break the SEC down like this:

1. Alabama

2. Georgia
3. Auburn

4. Texas A&M
5. Florida

And then everything else is way, way down past this point, in some dumpster fire somewhere outside Atlanta.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Speaking from LSU territory, the Who fans are coming to the sad reality they are stuck with Coach O for at least two more years, regardless of what he does. The buyout is simply too high to pull the plug on him after this season or next. It's just money the college doesn't have to throw away. They're also realizing their AD jumped the gun and not only gave Coach O a "bad contract" (from the school's perspective) but simply hired the guy out of a knee-jerk, emotionally based decision. Callers this morning on our local sports talk radio show sounded like they were attending a funeral and it's because they know their program is possibly about to take a step back into the 90's. Where LSU was REAL, REAL bad. I couldn't believe what I was watching Saturday night with Troy/LSU. Troy was physically DOMINATING them across the board. It looked like LSU players had swapped uniforms with Troy's players. You would think LSU would be physically dominating Troy. But that wasn't the case. Very shocking.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I get what you are saying, but let's not forget that when facing FSU a team that probably would have won the ACC Bama beat them. I know what they look like now, but that's because of what happened during the Bama game.
Do not forget we injured their QB so they have dropped, most teams would if losing the starting QB.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Did I read it correctly in Saban's presser notes that he said Texas AM is the best team by far that we have played to date? I thought that would have been FL State. I will say Texas AM will give us their best game, especially being at home and they are on a "hot streak" after losing to UCLA. As long as we stop their run game and limit Christian Kirk (including special teams play) I think we will win by double digits.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Did I read it correctly in Saban's presser notes that he said Texas AM is the best team by far that we have played to date? I thought that would have been FL State. I will say Texas AM will give us their best game, especially being at home and they are on a "hot streak" after losing to UCLA. As long as we stop their run game and limit Christian Kirk (including special teams play) I think we will win by double digits.
He doesn't want the team to slack off a single ounce. Keep up the intensity and hammer down!

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
LSU wants CLK.
Now THAT would be funny. Can you see it?

"The Freshwater Chronicles"
Chapter 1. Who Wants Mardi Gras Beads?
Chapter 2. What Happens On The Strip, Stays On The Strip
Chapter 3. An Ounce of Prevention is Better Than A Ton of Child Support
Chapter 4. Cruising For Chicks At AA Meetings

The book practically writes itself :cool2:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Some LSU fans down here are already saying they should just cut their losses. Go ahead and fire the AD, and Orgeron, then hire Lane Kiffin.
Come on now. Even LSU and LSU dad are not crazy enough to hire Lane. On second though I would have to look at him again. I am happy where he is.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Well, you know with Coach, the next team is always the toughest team we have played.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I think LSU is stuck for at least two more years. I was on campus for the game last year, and it was in terrible shape. O has a $12 million buyout this year, $8 million next.

They flat-out can't afford that, especially so soon after giving Les a multi-million dollar goodbye kiss.

They have a mess, and no way to clean it up.
They should fire the AD now! Don't wait until the end of the year. Orgeron would have been happy to coach at LSU with $0 annual salary. As to a buyout, no other school was ever going to pursue him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.