2017-2018 Coaching Carousel

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I read that yesterday and thought to myself, 1) He's honest enough to say he doesn't have it; 2) he's miserable in his current situation and 3) he's doing the right thing by releasing the university of their obligation to him.

I'm a big believer in karma. I always wondered why he left Wisconsin for OSU. That just didn't seem like a step up job to me. Maybe he would be happier at a smaller D1 school like a New Mexico that doesn't play in a big boy conference. Then again, maybe he's going back to Utah State based on his successor's record as well.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
He said when he was hired that if he ever thought he couldn't get the job done, he would tear up his contract and walk away. Honorable , although not fiscally prudent. I think he also was at odds with the admin over facility upgrades.
Yep, I think I read they put the weight room upgrade on hold.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I read that yesterday and thought to myself, 1) He's honest enough to say he doesn't have it; 2) he's miserable in his current situation and 3) he's doing the right thing by releasing the university of their obligation to him.

I'm a big believer in karma. I always wondered why he left Wisconsin for OSU. That just didn't seem like a step up job to me. Maybe he would be happier at a smaller D1 school like a New Mexico that doesn't play in a big boy conference. Then again, maybe he's going back to Utah State based on his successor's record as well.
IIRC he and Barry Alvarez were not on the same page. At Utah State he had a more wide open passing style offense which was in direct conflict with what Alvarez wanted and now has again.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IIRC he and Barry Alvarez were not on the same page. At Utah State he had a more wide open passing style offense which was in direct conflict with what Alvarez wanted and now has again.
Arkansas needs to hire Anderson with no buyout provision but a generous enough salary.

He's not a bad coach, but Oregon St, well, is never going to really do anything in football and nobody there pretends otherwise.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Bielema is 10-24 in conference since his arrival and I see him going 3-3 AT BEST to close out season and the league is down.
I know he has a huge buyout and hot wife; but can Hawg fans accept that as best they can do?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Arkansas needs to hire Anderson with no buyout provision but a generous enough salary.

He's not a bad coach, but Oregon St, well, is never going to really do anything in football and nobody there pretends otherwise.
Oregon State certainly is no contender for anything except a bowl game. They have been bowling nine times since 2000. Here is the problem for the AD: do you want to pay the money to go bowling every other year or do a no-name hire to save money and do on the job training. There are some G5 coaches who would take the OSU job without breaking the bank and, at least they have shown they can win.

Heck, I had rather dip down to FCS and hire a winner there than a no name assistant at a loser -- like they just did three years ago.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Just a thought, not sure if I am right but here it goes. With so many high paid coaches tanking, maybe the real issue is the guys hiring them. Maybe spend some time and money on guys who can actually asses coaching talent. So many smaller teams have great coach's, why not tap that source and quit buying old names at crazy prices. I find it hard to believe there are not some great coach's in the lower division that could win at the top level. I feel AD's run programs, they are not the best judge of coaching talent. They have scouts for players,do they not have coaching scouts? You know guys looking at unknown coaches who actually can coach. Not one big name coach started at the top.They all came up the ranks. WHY the obsession for the next big name, get a guy who can actually coach and let him build his name. They already know how to recruit, and probably have great HS ties. To get good players at lower level you have to know how to recruit good. Just a thought

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Oregon State certainly is no contender for anything except a bowl game. They have been bowling nine times since 2000. Here is the problem for the AD: do you want to pay the money to go bowling every other year or do a no-name hire to save money and do on the job training. ...
Or...do you hire Mike Riley back on Larry the Cable Guy's dime, which they may soon have the opportunity to do. (Resisting the urge to say that that way, the Beavers get more bang for their buck, but OK, not resistant enough...)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Or...do you hire Mike Riley back on Larry the Cable Guy's dime, which they may soon have the opportunity to do. (Resisting the urge to say that that way, the Beavers get more bang for their buck, but OK, not resistant enough...)
I don't know, the Beavers could get themselves into a hairy situation hiring Riley back.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If he loses on Saturday, I really don’t see how Tennessee doesn’t go ahead and pull the trigger on Butch Jones. I read that they are practically having to give tickets away up there by increasing the student allotment to 8.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I posted this in the misery index thread but figured I'd post it here also because this makes it much more likely for Arkansas to make a coaching change.

This is what I've mentioned in several threads. Don't just believe the high buyout number the media throws around. Arkansas could cut ties with Bielema after this season and only owe him $5.9M not $15M, according to this article:

"Bielema's actual buyout is determined by a formula included within the language of his original deal, which was made effective Dec. 4, 2012, and signed the next August. It uses the $15.4 million figure as a numerator and divides that by the total number of months (97) in the full term of his contract. That figure of $158,762.88, called the "monthly value of the total guaranty payment," would then be multiplied by the remaining number of months on the contract, which runs through Dec. 31, 2020. Based on that equation, Arkansas would owe Bielema about $5.874 million to terminate his contract after the season concludes Nov. 24, plus a prorated amount for any partial months of employment. That figure would be offset by the gross amount of any salary earned by Bielema through December 2020 -- including for consulting or administrative jobs in college football or the NFL -- or any work outside of coaching, such as a side business. The buyout money owed to Bielema would be paid on a monthly basis as a guaranty of The Razorback Foundation, the fundraising arm of the UA athletics department, or a financially responsible third party arranged by the university, per the contract."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/oct/12/bielema-buyout-under-15m-20171012/

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Unless they bomb from here on out, he'll still be a pretty hot name for a P5 job.
He is still relatively young and was quietly 10-3 last year. I think they are on the same path for this year too. Troy hadn't competed in years until he came there and has put them back on the Sunbelt map. He will be a hot name regardless this offseason.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.