2017-2018 Coaching Carousel - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: 2017-2018 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Unless they bomb from here on out, he'll still be a pretty hot name for a P5 job.
    He is still relatively young and was quietly 10-3 last year. I think they are on the same path for this year too. Troy hadn't competed in years until he came there and has put them back on the Sunbelt map. He will be a hot name regardless this offseason.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

I'm not the biggest "SEC" guy but I do think a strong league makes you better as a football team. If I had my rathers I would hope that almost half the teams in this conference would make a coaching change just to keep all these southern players from going to Ohio State, Michigan and other schools above the Mason Dixon Line.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Just saw that CBS Sports put out an article titled "Penn St preparing for Texas A&M to make a run at James Franklin if Kevin Sumlin is not retained."

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Just saw that CBS Sports put out an article titled "Penn St preparing for Texas A&M to make a run at James Franklin if Kevin Sumlin is not retained."
    Not sure that Franklin would leave PSU for aTm, but aTm has a lot of $$$. Franklin's teams have heart, but I am not sure that I would want him coaching my school.

BamaNation All-American rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Not sure that Franklin would leave PSU for aTm, but aTm has a lot of $$$. Franklin's teams have heart, but I am not sure that I would want him coaching my school.
    I agree, and I if I were TAMU I would pump the brakes especially after what happened at Vandy shortly after he left. He left Mason a mess to clean up. I havent heard about those issues at Penn St. thought so it may have been an isolated event. You as a BIG 10 fan would know better than me if that is also true at PSU.

Also read that Franklin only has a $2M buyout. If that's true I could see other teams coming after him. I'm not sure he'd want to leave Penn St for Texas A&M though. Not exactly an easier conference or division. Maybe easier to recruit though..

Franklin went to Penn State.. that was his dream job. Seriously doubt that he'll leave for TAMU.. Don't think he wants to compete with SEC folks again.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Franklin went to Penn State.. that was his dream job. Seriously doubt that he'll leave for TAMU.. Don't think he wants to compete with SEC folks again.
    TAMU flatters themselves to think they could get Franklin. They think money is the only thing that matters yet all of it in the world hasn't netted them a consistently performing football program. Their last NC was in the 30's.
    TAMU is an obnoxious fly to be swatted at every few years and nobody wants to have to rub elbows with their smarmy and insufferable booster club.

Besides, Sumlin has recovered nicely and if he get to 8-10 wins and they STILL fire him then increase the number of coaches who run from College Station like the plague.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Franklin left a mess at Vanderbilt with 3 of his players now in the pokey for rape. It was reported that he and some of his staff made contact with the victim before he bolted, not sure why or what the outcome was. He is slimey at best and I would never want him as my school's HC.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Franklin left a mess at Vanderbilt with 3 of his players now in the pokey for rape. It was reported that he and some of his staff made contact with the victim before he bolted, not sure why or what the outcome was. He is slimey at best and I would never want him as my school's HC.
    I agree. I have not heard of anything similar at PSU, but I wouldn't trust PSU to protect anyone. If this happened at PSU, you can bet that it would get buried.

BamaNation First Team

I think Sumlin is fine. Yeah, his team had an epic collapse vs UCLA that made him look bad. But his team has acquitted itself quite nicely since. I think maybe they could have recruited and been a little better stocked talent-wise than they are, but they played us closer than any team other than Clemson since last year's game vs Ole Miss. 4-2 when you Alabama was one of the 2, and one bad looking hiccup should not be enough to fire the guy.

BamaNation Second Team

Go from being the 3rd most important team in the B1G to the 2nd most important school in the state?? I don't think Franklin is going anywhere regardless of money. I was genuinely impressed with the guy when he was coaching at Vandy and that has grown since he moved onto greener pastures. He is a super motivator who can also coach.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Nebraska just hired Bill Moos as their new AD. Currently AD at Washington State and before that a long stint at Oregon. A big football guy which is probably what they need in Lincoln. Wonder how quickly he calls Scott Frost.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; October 15th, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings