2017-2018 Coaching Carousel

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
So much rumblings about Jones being gone after Bama game Saturday....
Look for it to be televised live pregame from the UcheaT lockerroom by CBS with Botch "boiling over with emotion" in announcing his own demise, and imploring the viles to "Win one for the Butcher!...my last one."

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Albert Hanynesworth, former UT player and NFL player, just tweeted out: Great news is on the horizon for us VFLs!!!! It is just a matter of when! Thank you Mr. Haslam for trying to make Tennessee great again.

For those who don't know Jimmy Haslam is a UT alum who lives in Knoxville and has a net worth of $3.7 billion. Looks like he might be writing that check to get Butch out of there..
Haslam owns the Cleveland Browns. I hope he brings his NFL wisdom to Knoxville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I would not put much stock in anything Haynesworth might say. Yeah Haslam owns the Browns and the Haslam family owns most all of Pilot Travel centers.

I also think with the reduced buyout the Vols may set their sights on Petrino. I could see a bidding war between UT and AU for Petrino.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I would not put much stock in anything Haynesworth might say. Yeah Haslam owns the Browns and the Haslam family owns most all of Pilot Travel centers.

I also think with the reduced buyout the Vols may set their sights on Petrino. I could see a bidding war between UT and AU for Petrino.
I think the Haslams just sold their interest in Flying J to Berkshire Hathaway aka Warren Buffet. I would say they are probably flush with cash and can easily write the check to get rid of Butch.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think the Haslams just sold their interest in Flying J to Berkshire Hathaway aka Warren Buffet. I would say they are probably flush with cash and can easily write the check to get rid of Butch.
IIRC the recent purchase was for a 15% ownership for Buffet, with the remaining 85% to be purchased in 5 years. However it is, Haslam can pony up enough to put Botch on th road.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
IIRC the recent purchase was for a 15% ownership for Buffet, with the remaining 85% to be purchased in 5 years. However it is, Haslam can pony up enough to put Botch on th road.
There's some media members who get down in the weeds IRT coaching contracts. I was reading something that said Butch's buyout is payable over 3 years. With offset language included (which means if Butch coaches somewhere else that salary is deducted from the UT buyout) UT will only be on the hook for about $2M per year for 3 years. It's not like someone has to come in and right a huge check right away. Now, maybe if they're plan is to buy another coach out of their contract from another school but Butch's buyout shouldn't really be a problem for UT..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOL, they could dig through Haslam's sofa cushions and gather what's needed to get rid of Botch...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I believe you are correct on those details Gray. Nonetheless, they would still only have to spend some pocket change to get rid of Butch.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Butch just got the nail in the coffin, losing agino Bama, anyone think if we do this to Orgeron and Gus that it does not shorten their careers . Nick may have BULT Bama back to the top, but he has buried many other SEC teams and coaches in the "PROCESS". I guess if one goes up many other will go down. I would hate to a be coach on the hot seat and still looking forward to Bama playing me.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I'm still not convinced TAMU fires Sumlin...or even sure why they would want to.
I know we are not everything in college football, but the fact they gave us a game says something. So many fold and quit, they did not. Got to give him that. A7M at least on paper had a chance, and fought to the end. They did not quit. You can build on that.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Georgia Southern fires Tyson Summers after an 0-6 start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I know we are not everything in college football, but the fact they gave us a game says something. So many fold and quit, they did not. Got to give him that. A7M at least on paper had a chance, and fought to the end. They did not quit. You can build on that.
Tons of talent and I think Sumlin learned a valuable lesson a couple years ago with the QB departures and making promises of playing time. I think he's grown as a coach and will continue to be a formidable opponent.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Tons of talent and I think Sumlin learned a valuable lesson a couple years ago with the QB departures and making promises of playing time. I think he's grown as a coach and will continue to be a formidable opponent.
He deserves a 5 year extension and 20 mil buyout. Nothing wrong with 10-2 with guaranteed loss to the best team in college football every year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do not think Sumlin will be fired this year, but he still has to beat auburn at home and LSU on the road to avoid another 8-4 season.

Edit: TAMU plays MSU in College Station this Saturday. They should beat the bullies, of course who knows which MSU team will show up. A loss to MSU could result in a 7-5 record. Still think he survives this year.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.