2017-2018 Coaching Carousel - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: 2017-2018 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I think the Haslams just sold their interest in Flying J to Berkshire Hathaway aka Warren Buffet. I would say they are probably flush with cash and can easily write the check to get rid of Butch.
    IIRC the recent purchase was for a 15% ownership for Buffet, with the remaining 85% to be purchased in 5 years. However it is, Haslam can pony up enough to put Botch on th road.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I think the Haslams just sold their interest in Flying J to Berkshire Hathaway aka Warren Buffet. I would say they are probably flush with cash and can easily write the check to get rid of Butch.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    IIRC the recent purchase was for a 15% ownership for Buffet, with the remaining 85% to be purchased in 5 years. However it is, Haslam can pony up enough to put Botch on th road.
    There's some media members who get down in the weeds IRT coaching contracts. I was reading something that said Butch's buyout is payable over 3 years. With offset language included (which means if Butch coaches somewhere else that salary is deducted from the UT buyout) UT will only be on the hook for about $2M per year for 3 years. It's not like someone has to come in and right a huge check right away. Now, maybe if they're plan is to buy another coach out of their contract from another school but Butch's buyout shouldn't really be a problem for UT..

LOL, they could dig through Haslam's sofa cushions and gather what's needed to get rid of Botch...
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

BamaNation All-American

Is today the day Botch gets the WORD?
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; October 21st, 2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: bold

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I believe you are correct on those details Gray. Nonetheless, they would still only have to spend some pocket change to get rid of Butch.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Franklin went to Penn State.. that was his dream job. Seriously doubt that he'll leave for TAMU.. Don't think he wants to compete with SEC folks again.
    I'm still not convinced TAMU fires Sumlin...or even sure why they would want to.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I think Sumlin has bought himself some time. Right now I think they will finish strong and hes back next year.

BamaNation First Team

Butch just got the nail in the coffin, losing agino Bama, anyone think if we do this to Orgeron and Gus that it does not shorten their careers . Nick may have BULT Bama back to the top, but he has buried many other SEC teams and coaches in the "PROCESS". I guess if one goes up many other will go down. I would hate to a be coach on the hot seat and still looking forward to Bama playing me.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    I'm still not convinced TAMU fires Sumlin...or even sure why they would want to.
    I know we are not everything in college football, but the fact they gave us a game says something. So many fold and quit, they did not. Got to give him that. A7M at least on paper had a chance, and fought to the end. They did not quit. You can build on that.

Georgia Southern fires Tyson Summers after an 0-6 start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RT27 View Post
    I know we are not everything in college football, but the fact they gave us a game says something. So many fold and quit, they did not. Got to give him that. A7M at least on paper had a chance, and fought to the end. They did not quit. You can build on that.
    Tons of talent and I think Sumlin learned a valuable lesson a couple years ago with the QB departures and making promises of playing time. I think he's grown as a coach and will continue to be a formidable opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Tons of talent and I think Sumlin learned a valuable lesson a couple years ago with the QB departures and making promises of playing time. I think he's grown as a coach and will continue to be a formidable opponent.
    He deserves a 5 year extension and 20 mil buyout. Nothing wrong with 10-2 with guaranteed loss to the best team in college football every year.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I do not think Sumlin will be fired this year, but he still has to beat auburn at home and LSU on the road to avoid another 8-4 season.

Edit: TAMU plays MSU in College Station this Saturday. They should beat the bullies, of course who knows which MSU team will show up. A loss to MSU could result in a 7-5 record. Still think he survives this year.
    Last edited by GrayTide; October 23rd, 2017 at 08:12 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner