2017-2018 Coaching Carousel

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would image Major Applewhite is getting some warm britches too, even though it is his first year. I think the AD as much as said so before the season started. Win or Else, Houston does not lose.
That is so stupid. Greg Ward is no longer at Houston. He was a fantastic QB for what Herman and Applewhite did the last two years.

Houston is in one of those stages where one coach leaves after winning with great talent (not saying that's why Herman won) and the replacement struggles because the key players from the previous coach are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I wonder if Kelly would let the schools get into a bidding contest and be more worried about money or about the situation he is walking into when he takes whatever job he gets? I would think there is not much difference between 5 mil and 6 mil a year in most people's minds if the 5 mil a year job gives you free reign.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not to worry, I'm sure he received more money getting fired than most of us receive in our lifetimes. Still, it's probably not his best birthday.
I agree he isn’t worried about money as he is probably set for life. It would just be a bummer to get the news on your birthday.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I wonder if Kelly would let the schools get into a bidding contest and be more worried about money or about the situation he is walking into when he takes whatever job he gets? I would think there is not much difference between 5 mil and 6 mil a year in most people's minds if the 5 mil a year job gives you free reign.
I assume CA has a fairly steep income tax, while FL has none. I'd think UCLA would have to substantially sweeten the deal of the Gators for him to take it. At those income levels it may not matter, and you could be right regarding control

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I assume CA has a fairly steep income tax, while FL has none. I'd think UCLA would have to substantially sweeten the deal of the Gators for him to take it. At those income levels it may not matter, and you could be right regarding control
I think if Texas offered Saban 20mil a year and Bama kept him at the same salary Saban would stay because he has everything he wants. I think if Tennessee only offers Mullen 1 mil more per year than he makes at Miss. State then he will stay there because the expectations are not worth the extra pressure.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I think McElwain is clearly a helluva coach...Truly. I could see similar personality misfit at UCLA as with FLA.

Mac is better fit at an Oregon, maybe CAL. Even Georgia or Tennessee. Even TA&MU

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The buyout is nice to have. But I would imagine there is a lot of professional pride that is hurt when you get fired as a coach, no matter how much you get as a severance.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The buyout is nice to have. But I would imagine there is a lot of professional pride that is hurt when you get fired as a coach, no matter how much you get as a severance.

That probably explains why most of them go on to find other jobs rather that retire to the Bahamas like most of THINK that we would do if we were in that situation. A lot of money can make life easier, but it isn't everything.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.