2017-2018 Coaching Carousel

School Coach Interim New Hire
    Ole Miss Hugh Freeze Matt Luke
    UTEP Sean Kugler Mike Price
    Oregon State Gary Anderson Cory Hall
    Georgia Southern Tyson Summers Chad Lunsford
    Florida Jim McElwain Randy Shannon
    Tennessee Butch Jones Brady Hoke
    Last edited by RTR91; November 12th, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement

Re: 2017-2018 Coaching Carousel

UTEP's Sean Kugler stepping down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Depending on how the season plays out 10 other SEC jobs could open. Very Likely:UT, Arky, aTm, and MIZ. A decent chance: LSU, Ole Miss. Not out of the realm: AU (If they lose by double digits to UGA AND BAMA), Florida (If they drop 4 or 5 games), Miss St & Vandy (coaches taking a better job)

Personally, I think the # is 5 as AU beats UGA and Gus is safe. Florida finds a way to win 9 games and save JM. I also think in the end Ole Miss and LSU stand pat for another season. Not sure anyone will want the Ole Miss job and LSU may not want to make another change.

I do see Mason looking to cash in assuming they get bowl eligible.

BamaNation First Team

This off season could see record coaching changes. Man so many are stinking it up it is not even funny. Cannot remember the last time so many millionaire cioaches lost so many games. me thinks AD,s need to get a grip and quit paying millions until they actually win some games.

BamaNation Second Team

CJM at Florida getting fired is laughable. He has won back to back Eastern Division titles and is worthy of some slack. Sumlin is safe because his schedule and buyout prevents any reasonable person from firing him. Ogeron gets a pass for at least this year. And my long shot is that Botch stays because there is no reasonable replacement. Look what happened to LSU when they fired Les without a plan.

There is a serious shortage of viable coaching candidates out there right now and some schools are just going to have to be patient.
    Last edited by Pilot172000; October 1st, 2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    CJM at Florida getting fired is laughable. He has won back to back Eastern Division titles and is worthy of some slack. Sumlin is safe because his schedule and buyout prevents any reasonable person from firing him. Ogeron gets a pass for at least this year. And my long shot is that Botch stays because there is no reasonable replacement. Look what happened to LSU when they fired Les without a plan.

There is a serious shortage of viable coaching candidates out there right now and some schools are just going to have to be patient.
    JM might be safe, Sumlin is not! Talking to former players and alumni with $$$ the buyout is already. Actually has been for a while. Can Sumlin get to 9 wins is the deciding factor. He won’t come within 30 points of BAMA or AU. Call me crazy but, not sure if he beats LSU or UF. Above all, Aggies are not reasonable. The Aggie BOT makes the Lowder run AU board look tame.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Whether Sumlin, Jones, Bielema or Odom need to be fired is yet to be determined, but a strong case could be made to show them the door. IMO, having the money available to buy them out would be a huge hurdle except in the case of Sumlin. Assuming the money were available, the bigger issue is what coaches, realistically, would want these jobs? These SEC schools would not be the only FBS programs looking for a new HC. It will definitely be a seller's market if all of this happens. BTW, don't listen to PO'd fan board or tweets they do not make the hiring or firing decisions.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Whether Sumlin, Jones, Bielema or Odom need to be fired is yet to be determined, but a strong case could be made to show them the door. IMO, having the money available to buy them out would be a huge hurdle except in the case of Sumlin. Assuming the money were available, the bigger issue is what coaches, realistically, would want these jobs? These SEC schools would not be the only FBS programs looking for a new HC. It will definitely be a seller's market if all of this happens. BTW, don't listen to PO'd fan board or tweets they do not make the hiring or firing decisions.
    Correct, JERIII. I did a brief flyover on one of the LSU boards just to see some of the names being bandied about on Orgeron's replacement. Lane Kiffin (?!), of all people, surprisingly has some support to replace Orgeron.

I'm thinking their fanbase needs to be put on suicide watch. There is presently much weeping and gnashing of teeth going on with the Tigah faithful.

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    JM might be safe, Sumlin is not! Talking to former players and alumni with $$$ the buyout is already. Actually has been for a while. Can Sumlin get to 9 wins is the deciding factor. He won’t come within 30 points of BAMA or AU. Call me crazy but, not sure if he beats LSU or UF. Above all, Aggies are not reasonable. The Aggie BOT makes the Lowder run AU board look tame.
    I understand where you are coming from and having been to Aggieland several times. Reasonable is not in their vocabulary, but who in the world could they find that would be willing to go there? He has had top five picks in the NFL and a Heisman Trophy winner in the SEC West and still can't satisfy the Corps.... They are IMHO peaking. Tennessee is the same. Sometimes being the third or fourth most desirable program in your division is just that, a mid tier program with a top five season every once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    UTEP's Sean Kugler stepping down...
    ...and...Coach Price is back at UTEP
    Defense STILL wins championships. RTR!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Harbawl is not going to get fired this year, but the Michigan fans are loudly wondering why they pay him so much money

I think he needs to fire his PR firm and do something really BIG instead of holding practice in Rome. Like, he could clone himself and coach in college and NFL. That would be BIG.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation First Team Saban4Ever's Avatar

I hope all the coaches who are on the hot seat stay at their jobs . I do think the coaches most likely to be fired at end of season are Butch Jones and maybe Beliema. Sumlin will be safe, especially if his team keeps improving. They have some talent. It will be interesting to see who gets the Ole Miss job. Maybe LSU will beat Auburn next Saturday.. I read that Auburn has not won there since 1999 at Death Valley.

Has anyone watched the new SEC Shorts video on Auburn? It's clever. I saw it on Facebook today.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

ESPN reporting Gary Anderson HC at Oregon State has been fired.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner