2017-2018 Coaching Carousel

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm not the biggest "SEC" guy but I do think a strong league makes you better as a football team. If I had my rathers I would hope that almost half the teams in this conference would make a coaching change just to keep all these southern players from going to Ohio State, Michigan and other schools above the Mason Dixon Line.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just saw that CBS Sports put out an article titled "Penn St preparing for Texas A&M to make a run at James Franklin if Kevin Sumlin is not retained."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just saw that CBS Sports put out an article titled "Penn St preparing for Texas A&M to make a run at James Franklin if Kevin Sumlin is not retained."
Not sure that Franklin would leave PSU for aTm, but aTm has a lot of $$$. Franklin's teams have heart, but I am not sure that I would want him coaching my school.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Not sure that Franklin would leave PSU for aTm, but aTm has a lot of $$$. Franklin's teams have heart, but I am not sure that I would want him coaching my school.
I agree, and I if I were TAMU I would pump the brakes especially after what happened at Vandy shortly after he left. He left Mason a mess to clean up. I havent heard about those issues at Penn St. thought so it may have been an isolated event. You as a BIG 10 fan would know better than me if that is also true at PSU.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Also read that Franklin only has a $2M buyout. If that's true I could see other teams coming after him. I'm not sure he'd want to leave Penn St for Texas A&M though. Not exactly an easier conference or division. Maybe easier to recruit though..

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Franklin went to Penn State.. that was his dream job. Seriously doubt that he'll leave for TAMU.. Don't think he wants to compete with SEC folks again.
TAMU flatters themselves to think they could get Franklin. They think money is the only thing that matters yet all of it in the world hasn't netted them a consistently performing football program. Their last NC was in the 30's.
TAMU is an obnoxious fly to be swatted at every few years and nobody wants to have to rub elbows with their smarmy and insufferable booster club.

Besides, Sumlin has recovered nicely and if he get to 8-10 wins and they STILL fire him then increase the number of coaches who run from College Station like the plague.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Franklin left a mess at Vanderbilt with 3 of his players now in the pokey for rape. It was reported that he and some of his staff made contact with the victim before he bolted, not sure why or what the outcome was. He is slimey at best and I would never want him as my school's HC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Franklin left a mess at Vanderbilt with 3 of his players now in the pokey for rape. It was reported that he and some of his staff made contact with the victim before he bolted, not sure why or what the outcome was. He is slimey at best and I would never want him as my school's HC.
I agree. I have not heard of anything similar at PSU, but I wouldn't trust PSU to protect anyone. If this happened at PSU, you can bet that it would get buried.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I think Sumlin is fine. Yeah, his team had an epic collapse vs UCLA that made him look bad. But his team has acquitted itself quite nicely since. I think maybe they could have recruited and been a little better stocked talent-wise than they are, but they played us closer than any team other than Clemson since last year's game vs Ole Miss. 4-2 when you Alabama was one of the 2, and one bad looking hiccup should not be enough to fire the guy.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Go from being the 3rd most important team in the B1G to the 2nd most important school in the state?? I don't think Franklin is going anywhere regardless of money. I was genuinely impressed with the guy when he was coaching at Vandy and that has grown since he moved onto greener pastures. He is a super motivator who can also coach.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Nebraska just hired Bill Moos as their new AD. Currently AD at Washington State and before that a long stint at Oregon. A big football guy which is probably what they need in Lincoln. Wonder how quickly he calls Scott Frost.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Albert Hanynesworth, former UT player and NFL player, just tweeted out: Great news is on the horizon for us VFLs!!!! It is just a matter of when! Thank you Mr. Haslam for trying to make Tennessee great again.

For those who don't know Jimmy Haslam is a UT alum who lives in Knoxville and has a net worth of $3.7 billion. Looks like he might be writing that check to get Butch out of there..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Albert Hanynesworth, former UT player and NFL player, just tweeted out: Great news is on the horizon for us VFLs!!!! It is just a matter of when! Thank you Mr. Haslam for trying to make Tennessee great again.

For those who don't know Jimmy Haslam is a UT alum who lives in Knoxville and has a net worth of $3.7 billion. Looks like he might be writing that check to get Butch out of there..
So much rumblings about Jones being gone after Bama game Saturday....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.