Mass shooting in Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
If you had, you likely wouldn't be asking the question.

When training, especially, or simply shooting for fun your standard 30-round mag empties quite quickly. When competing, whether for money or fun, in a timed event where the score is simply a matter of the number of targets hit, for example, having to change mags half as often can make a huge difference in your score. In short, there are a plethora of legitimate reasons your typical rifle owner might have for wanting higher capacity magazines.

As for the bump stock, while the reasons are fewer probably the most common is simply the adrenaline rush you get when throwing that much lead that quickly down range. While it technically does not make a weapon fully automatic, as there is still one trigger pull per bullet, it is a much cheaper, easier, safer way to get the "feel" of firing an automatic weapon without the expense of actually buying an automatic weapon or illegally modifying a semiautomatic weapon to become full auto. However, bump stocks make the weapon much less accurate, so you're sacrificing accuracy for a higher rate of fire.
i understand the reasoning, but i (mho) don't find that a compelling reason that these things should be readily available to the public.

competitions could very easily just require everyone to use the same capacity mag without losing anything.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you had, you likely wouldn't be asking the question.

When training, especially, or simply shooting for fun your standard 30-round mag empties quite quickly. When competing, whether for money or fun, in a timed event where the score is simply a matter of the number of targets hit, for example, having to change mags half as often can make a huge difference in your score. In short, there are a plethora of legitimate reasons your typical rifle owner might have for wanting higher capacity magazines.

As for the bump stock, while the reasons are fewer probably the most common is simply the adrenaline rush you get when throwing that much lead that quickly down range. While it technically does not make a weapon fully automatic, as there is still one trigger pull per bullet, it is a much cheaper, easier, safer way to get the "feel" of firing an automatic weapon without the expense of actually buying an automatic weapon or illegally modifying a semiautomatic weapon to become full auto. However, bump stocks make the weapon much less accurate, so you're sacrificing accuracy for a higher rate of fire.
A quibble - I mounted a muzzle brake for exactly this reason. At a sacrifice of eardrums, the muzzle barely twitches and stays right on target...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Looking like he didn't shoot nearly all of his rounds, so whoever confronted him initially at his door may have saved a lot of lives if he panicked thinking it was a more substantial threat and ended his life around then. That's a LOT of bullets in those mags stacked up by the pillar unused (assuming because of how neatly they're still stacked).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Humble request: I cannot see embedded tweets on Firefox. IDK the reason. Several other posters have complained of the same. Therefore, if you care if I see your posts, please also post the link...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Humble request: I cannot see embedded tweets on Firefox. IDK the reason. Several other posters have complained of the same. Therefore, if you care if I see your posts, please also post the link...
Im on Firefox 56.0 and see them although they dont seem to get included when you quote a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.