Mass shooting in Las Vegas - Page 3
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Mass shooting in Las Vegas

Some initial reports that he used an actual automatic weapon - not Matt Lauer's idea of one - which would mean something highly illegal or something that requires a lot of money and deep background checks.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    A coworker told me the female they are seeking as his accomplice was a hotel employee. Some are saying she may have smuggled the guns in but as others have said it might not have been necessary.
    They found her and have announced she's no longer a person of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    I hear it’s up to 200 injured now, so yeah, it looks like you are right.
    They just revised estimates to over 400 injured now.

Police also said the shooter was dead when they entered his hotel room, an apparent suicide.

My stream of consciousness reactions to this:

I'll never understand this type of thing. Why a person would do such a thing is just beyond my ability to comprehend.

We need mental health care in this country. You'll never convince me the people who commit these atrocities are 'sane'.

If it was an automatic weapon (it sounded like it in the video I saw on CNN), then this guy was likely a serious gun collector. Those are difficult (months of background checks by the ATF) and expensive (>$20k) to get.

*sigh*
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

If this turns out to be politically motivated, I will once again raise issue with the way the media stirs the pot. Sorry if I am premature with my comments.

No disrespect intended. We'll know more soon, I'm sure...

BamaNation First Team Wilson Monroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    My stream of consciousness reactions to this:

I'll never understand this type of thing. Why a person would do such a thing is just beyond my ability to comprehend.

We need mental health care in this country. You'll never convince me the people who commit these atrocities are 'sane'.

If it was an automatic weapon (it sounded like it in the video I saw on CNN), then this guy was likely a serious gun collector. Those are difficult (months of background checks by the ATF) and expensive (>$20k) to get.

*sigh*
    When I watched the video I thought the same. I also thought that it sounded more like a belt fed or drum mag. Too many successive shots to be a standard 30 round mag. The time between shots also made me think that it was belt fed since it took more time to resume than you would expect for a simple mag change.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    If this turns out to be politically motivated, I will once again raise issue with the way the media stirs the pot. Sorry if I am premature with my comments.

I guess I just don't see a "Trump" supporter shooting up a country & western concert where what I would assume demographically would be filled with Trump supporters. I could be wrong and have been many times before. I think the guy was a nut, but then again, anyone who kills as many as he did is a nut, regardless of political affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    anyone who kills as many as he did is a nut, regardless of political affiliation.
    Amen.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Efficiency is a cold word for this but the number of killed as well as the number wounded for one shooter at a distance are staggering.

My wife told me about the shooting when we got up this morning and I had no idea who Jason Aldean (performer at time of shooting) was...

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

It's either fully automatic from the factory or has been tampered with to be made fully automatic. I'd lean towards tampering but hearing some more about the guy he may have had the resources to go through the process of legally acquiring a fully automatic weapon. Those were large mags he was cycling through and the rate of fire is pretty slow so the weapon was likely larger than an SMG...something like an AKM or thereabouts is possible. I think ALL Americans, pro-gun or anti are going to be shocked at what they guy was packing.

I'll be real, I know some good ol' boys who have modified their AK's to go full auto out on their farm - so that's why I lean that direction first - would be easier and cheaper to modify a gun to do that rather than acquire one legally, but who knows.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    Efficiency is a cold word for this but the number of killed as well as the number wounded for one shooter at a distance are staggering.

My wife told me about the shooting when we got up this morning and I had no idea who Jason Aldean (performer at time of shooting) was...
    Sounds like you've lived a pretty good life.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    I guess I just don't see a "Trump" supporter shooting up a country & western concert where what I would assume demographically would be filled with Trump supporters. I could be wrong and have been many times before. I think the guy was a nut, but then again, anyone who kills as many as he did is a nut, regardless of political affiliation.
    Those claiming political motivation (I think) suspect he is a Bernie Bro or something similiar ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post

He could easily be from either fringe of the political spectrum. His age also puts him on the cusp of Vietnam. Anything at this time is pure speculation.