Mass shooting in Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
USAToday has an article that goes something like "Celebs React to Las Vegas Shooting" and it really irritated me and has soured my mood. I don't give a flying flip what Lady Gaga or Usher tweeted out. I want to hear from our leaders and law enforcement - I don't take my cues from social trash on how I should respond to these kinds of situations and printing their dumb-butt tweets frames it like they are the band leaders of grief. It just struck me like in a time of grief we don't know what else to do than to look to our pop-stars and celebs to tell us how we should feel and how we should be reacting. Too much credit is given to them. I don't know - it just really irritated me somehow. Back on topic.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I read that the family of the shooter is shocked by his actions. I find this extremely difficult to believe. Something like this, they had to know something was off. No one just wakes up one day and decides to do this.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I read that the family of the shooter is shocked by his actions. I find this extremely difficult to believe. Something like this, they had to know something was off. No one just wakes up one day and decides to do this.
seems like with a large number of these instances, the family has a "but he was a good boy and wasn't capable of this" moment

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Reports are that he had been at the hotel for 3 days. He had set up 2 platforms in the room to have a better vantage point to fire down from. Whatever the "reason", it seems he planned this and certainly was not an impulse thing.

I'm not a gun expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if multiple weapons were used based on the sounds I'm hearing.

The amount of human suffering here is shocking. I fear the number dead will rise.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
seems like with a large number of these instances, the family has a "but he was a good boy and wasn't capable of this" moment
Not to deflect, but that was same BS we heard with Michael Brown in the Ferguson police shooting. But as the old saying goes "denial is not a river in Egypt."

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Reports are that he had been at the hotel for 3 days. He had set up 2 platforms in the room to have a better vantage point to fire down from. Whatever the "reason", it seems he planned this and certainly was not an impulse thing.

I'm not a gun expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if multiple weapons were used based on the sounds I'm hearing.

The amount of human suffering here is shocking. I fear the number dead will rise.
The reports I have read stated that there were as many as 8 firearms recovered from the scene.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
If you have deep secrets that you don't share with everyone it's not that hard to understand how a family wouldn't know that something like this is possible. In some cases it would be easy to know that something is off as in cases such as one of my wife's family members, and in others you would never know until it was too late.

I have had personal experience with a close friend of the family being fun and jovial the majority of the time to the outside world right up until he did a murder/suicide involving his kids.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's either fully automatic from the factory or has been tampered with to be made fully automatic. I'd lean towards tampering but hearing some more about the guy he may have had the resources to go through the process of legally acquiring a fully automatic weapon. Those were large mags he was cycling through and the rate of fire is pretty slow so the weapon was likely larger than an SMG...something like an AKM or thereabouts is possible. I think ALL Americans, pro-gun or anti are going to be shocked at what they guy was packing.

I'll be real, I know some good ol' boys who have modified their AK's to go full auto out on their farm - so that's why I lean that direction first - would be easier and cheaper to modify a gun to do that rather than acquire one legally, but who knows.
I tend to agree with you. A bump-fired AR-15 is even faster than his rate of fire, which sounded like full auto. Also, on NBC, they said he had no criminal record...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, Lee Harvey Oswald's mother said the same thing. Seriously.

Otoh - Oswald's brother not only knows he killed JFK, he blames their mother for enabling Lee's behaviors as a child that he thinks contributed to the decision to kill the President. (For example, pulling Lee out of school every single time a teacher pointed out his troubling behavior).

I will grant the sudden and shocking crime that stuns most who know a person is POSSIBLE but it's rare.

And on the not quite humorous front, I spoke with my bro the news producer about the fact OJ was just released in Nevada, and he said, "Well, I must admit we all DID have that as a passing thought although we knew it was highly unlikely."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you have deep secrets that you don't share with everyone it's not that hard to understand how a family wouldn't know that something like this is possible. In some cases it would be easy to know that something is off as in cases such as one of my wife's family members, and in others you would never know until it was too late.

I have had personal experience with a close friend of the family being fun and jovial the majority of the time to the outside world right up until he did a murder/suicide involving his kids.
Yeah, there ARE a few. We can usually piece it together afterwards.

But MOST of the time there's usually SOME sign there that makes it not so surprising to those who pay attention.

I think what 92tide is acknowledging is that there are far more cases where folks just turned a blind eye and said "he never did anything wrong" and are in shock but MOST of the time they just treated patterns as isolated incidents.

However - I concur with you it does happen on occasion as well.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Hugh Hewitt brought it up on Twitter, but maybe Paddock brought his weapons and equipment via travel golf bags. They're large enough to hold an entire set of clubs plus the bag, and most of them have wheels to make it easier to transport. I'd guess the travel bag itself is easy to hide in public view among everyone that brings golf clubs to Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.