Mass shooting in Las Vegas - Page 5
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Re: Mass shooting in Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    It's either fully automatic from the factory or has been tampered with to be made fully automatic. I'd lean towards tampering but hearing some more about the guy he may have had the resources to go through the process of legally acquiring a fully automatic weapon. Those were large mags he was cycling through and the rate of fire is pretty slow so the weapon was likely larger than an SMG...something like an AKM or thereabouts is possible. I think ALL Americans, pro-gun or anti are going to be shocked at what they guy was packing.

I'll be real, I know some good ol' boys who have modified their AK's to go full auto out on their farm - so that's why I lean that direction first - would be easier and cheaper to modify a gun to do that rather than acquire one legally, but who knows.
    I tend to agree with you. A bump-fired AR-15 is even faster than his rate of fire, which sounded like full auto. Also, on NBC, they said he had no criminal record...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    seems like with a large number of these instances, the family has a "but he was a good boy and wasn't capable of this" moment
    Yeah, Lee Harvey Oswald's mother said the same thing. Seriously.

Otoh - Oswald's brother not only knows he killed JFK, he blames their mother for enabling Lee's behaviors as a child that he thinks contributed to the decision to kill the President. (For example, pulling Lee out of school every single time a teacher pointed out his troubling behavior).

I will grant the sudden and shocking crime that stuns most who know a person is POSSIBLE but it's rare.

And on the not quite humorous front, I spoke with my bro the news producer about the fact OJ was just released in Nevada, and he said, "Well, I must admit we all DID have that as a passing thought although we knew it was highly unlikely."
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    If you have deep secrets that you don't share with everyone it's not that hard to understand how a family wouldn't know that something like this is possible. In some cases it would be easy to know that something is off as in cases such as one of my wife's family members, and in others you would never know until it was too late.

I have had personal experience with a close friend of the family being fun and jovial the majority of the time to the outside world right up until he did a murder/suicide involving his kids.
    Yeah, there ARE a few. We can usually piece it together afterwards.

But MOST of the time there's usually SOME sign there that makes it not so surprising to those who pay attention.

I think what 92tide is acknowledging is that there are far more cases where folks just turned a blind eye and said "he never did anything wrong" and are in shock but MOST of the time they just treated patterns as isolated incidents.

However - I concur with you it does happen on occasion as well.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

Hugh Hewitt brought it up on Twitter, but maybe Paddock brought his weapons and equipment via travel golf bags. They're large enough to hold an entire set of clubs plus the bag, and most of them have wheels to make it easier to transport. I'd guess the travel bag itself is easy to hide in public view among everyone that brings golf clubs to Vegas.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Definitely sounds like at least one weapon was hand cranked.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/914735456943607808

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    Definitely sounds like at least one weapon was hand cranked.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/914735456943607808

WTH?

No normally functioning factory full auto weapon sounds like that. Has to be tampering or there is something wrong with the gun. Bump firing doesn't sound like that either.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Was in hotel during shooting last night. It was a madhouse

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Yikes man. So very glad that you are ok.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

You were there? Glad you're alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    WTH?

No normally functioning factory full auto weapon sounds like that. Has to be tampering or there is something wrong with the gun. Bump firing doesn't sound like that either.
    Or as he implied, it was a Gatling gun.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Wow, glad you're okay!
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

a couple of things

this is Vegas, even if the bellman saw guns he likely wouldn't care. There are shooting ranges all over the strip that let you fire anything you want. Rent a 50 Cal? Sure why not $2 a round. Bring your own guns? It's vegas, no one cares

I've stayed at the Mandalay and Delano so many times I can't even recall how many. Fact I was just there 2-3 weeks ago and they don't check bags. What hotel does? Only time I've ever even seen a warning about guns was recently in Texas there was a sign about open carry in a Hilton I have a meeting in that surprised me, figured it was a TX thing.

Guy was clearly nuts and his family may have had no idea or at minimum even if concerned hoped that there would be no issues. I've seen it from a different perspective in my wife's family. No one knew the charming bastard that married in would turn out to be a rapist pedophile. We all liked him. Super charming, good with everyone, kids liked him. Wasn't till just before he got caught that he got my radar up with his behavior towards one of my favorite nieces. Fortunately he never had a chance to get his hands on her. Couple other little girls I am aware of weren't so lucky. He doesn't have a shot a parole till 2026 and we all intend to be at that hearing. His parents and one of his sisters still firmly believe he was framed even after his sisters best friend came out and said he did the same to her when he was in college and she in Jr high. You never know how sick seemingly normal people can be and how strong denial can be for those around them. Keep your radar up and if it feels weird there is likely a good reason that it does
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

you at NetApp Insight? I am worried some friends might have gone out on Sunday
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett