Mass shooting in Las Vegas

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Sorry guys going to have to check out on the thread. Packing up to head home on the redeye. Honesty after seeing the aftermath firsthand last night/this morning, it is a little too much at the moment to see this venture into politics or arguing about what kind of gun the guy was shooting.
safe travels.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Word late yesterday was that he had indeed used multiple weapons.

Still sick about this today. Too many good people died too early for no good reason.

The same morning this happened a colleague had a man she didn't know go into her horse barn to shoot a big buck in there eating the horses' feed. Her dogs alerted her. Her trained, bomb sniffing police dogs. They alerted their firearms licensed dealer master. The dogs took the man down and she kept him at gunpoint until her police friends arrived. The guy though it would be ok to waltz into her barn. I guess he intended to drag the deer out and din't know her at all or he would have known better.

Lots of stories are coming out about people acting bravely in the chaos. Of people helping one another and placing themselves in harm's way to do so. Of narrow escapes. Of people completely unharmed while people on every side are killed.

Folks, cherish those you love while you can.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

UPDATE - Las Vegas shooting: At least 59 dead, explosives found in gunman's car

As of late Monday, authorities seized over 30 firearms that Paddock had either in his hotel room or at his home in Mesquite, where police also seized explosives and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Lombardo said several pounds of ammonium nitrate, a material used to make explosives, was found Paddock's car.

Lombardo also said investigators still want to talk to Paddock's girlfriend. He said she will be interviewed when she returns from an overseas trip. Lombardo says she's in Tokyo.

Rita Katz, director of the SITE Intel Group that monitors terrorist groups, tweeted that the Islamic State issued statements saying Paddock was one of their soldiers and that he converted to Islam months ago. However, Aaron Rouse, chief of the FBI’s Las Vegas office, said no connection to the militant group had been found.
Think we can agree either the guy's family didn't keep up with him if they don't believe he was a gun enthusiast while cops found 30+ in the hotel and his house or he was doing someone else's work.

Plus, the ammonium nitrate in his car? Something doesn't add up at all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of the rifles had a bump stock.

Edit: apparently multiple.
Interesting. None of the clips I've seen/heard had a bump. That's why I posted the YouTube clip, to show the difference. The bump is easily twice as fast as the clip of the massacre. It's not pop-pop-pop. It's pa-pa-pop. The shots almost run into each other since they're cycling as fast as the mechanism will move. I probably should tell this, but recently I used my AR to take out a groundhog I'd trapped. I tried with my pellet gun, but it didn't have enough power. Just in time, I remembered to lock the bump or it would have been embarrassing. It was on the 4th of July, thank goodness. I have something more reasonable, and without a muzzle brake, now for that chore.

On the radio this morning, they played clips of the police traffic. They located him almost immediately and one man was on the floor below him in minutes. I wonder why they waited an hour, even with all of the obvious reasons for caution. He did a lot of damage in the meantime. Other things about the timeline also bother me - the actual interval of the active fire and the total until he was taken down, for example...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
...I probably should tell this, but recently I used my AR to take out a groundhog I'd trapped. I tried with my pellet gun, but it didn't have enough power. Just in time, I remembered to lock the bump or it would have been embarrassing. It was on the 4th of July, thank goodness. I have something more reasonable, and without a muzzle brake, now for that chore...
Reasonable, smeasonable. You do whatever it takes to deal with the varmint.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Interesting. None of the clips I've seen/heard had a bump. That's why I posted the YouTube clip, to show the difference. The bump is easily twice as fast as the clip of the massacre. It's not pop-pop-pop. It's pa-pa-pop. The shots almost run into each other since they're cycling as fast as the mechanism will move. I probably should tell this, but recently I used my AR to take out a groundhog I'd trapped. I tried with my pellet gun, but it didn't have enough power. Just in time, I remembered to lock the bump or it would have been embarrassing. It was on the 4th of July, thank goodness. I have something more reasonable, and without a muzzle brake, now for that chore.

On the radio this morning, they played clips of the police traffic. They located him almost immediately and one man was on the floor below him in minutes. I wonder why they waited an hour, even with all of the obvious reasons for caution. He did a lot of damage in the meantime. Other things about the timeline also bother me - the actual interval of the active fire and the total until he was taken down, for example...
I saw something last night saying some officers got to his room, but Paddox shot through the door at them. That led to the officers waiting on SWAT to arrive.

Not sure if that's true or not.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LOL at Murray! I hadn't thought of the comparison. In addition to the bump stock, my AR has a muzzle brake, which makes it twice as loud, because the gases are directed upward and to the side to defeat muzzle hop. This is particularly important with a bump stock, to keep on target. I have a .22 with "Suppressor" rounds for the pests...

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
LOL! I hadn't thought of the comparison. In addition to the bump stock, my AR has a muzzle brake, which makes it twice as loud, because the gases are directed upward and to the side to defeat muzzle hop. This is particularly important with a bump stock, to keep on target. I have a .22 with "Suppressor" rounds for the pests...
You may already know this but there is something very cathartic, even pleasing, about taking out such pests with a much larger caliber round. :biggrin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.