Mass shooting in Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Red Bluff shooting spree leaves 5 dead, including gunman, multiple others injured at 7 locations in Tehama County

Authorities said five people have been killed, including the gunman, and multiple others injured after a shooting rampage that started at a home and ended at an elementary school in rural Northern California.

At least one student was shot and injured at an elementary school after shootings occurred at seven separate scenes near the town of Red Bluff. A second child and a female adult were shot in a truck, authorities said. According to police, it appears that the shooter was randomly picking targets.

The gunman was killed after two officers engaged him, law enforcement officials said. The gunman had a semi-automatic rifle and two handguns.

At least seven people were hospitalized after the shooting spree. Police confirmed that students were among those transported to hospitals.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
It should always be remembered that the real problem is not the mass shootings, they just get most of the news coverage. The real problem is the daily carnage. The CDC’s National Electronic Injury Surveillance System estimates the number of annual non-fatal firearm injuries based on reports from a sample of hospital emergency departments: over the last five years, there were more than 200 non-fatal firearm injuries each day. On an average day 93 Americans are killed with guns and about 35 of those are homicides.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Mich. man arrested for threatening to attack CNN hosts

On Jan. 9, an operator in Atlanta manning the public contact number for CNN received a phone call. According to a federal arrest affidavit unsealed Monday, the male caller launched into a threat.
“Fake news. I’m coming to gun you all down. F — k you, f — king ni—rs.” The caller then clicked off.

Three minutes later, the same caller, dialing from the same number, again rang the CNN line. “I am on my way right now to gun the f — kin’ CNN cast down. F — k you,” the caller said. The operator asked the caller his name. “F — k you,” he responded. “I am coming to kill you.”

Thirty minutes later, the caller again reached the CNN public switchboard. He whispered his threats. “I’m coming for you CNN. I’m smarter than you. More powerful than you. I have more guns than you. More manpower. Your cast is about to get gunned down in a matter of hours.”

According to federal law enforcement, the man the other end was Brandon Griesemer of Novi, Mich.

In the last message, the caller made disparaging remarks about Jewish individuals, before stating: “You are going down. I have a gun and I am coming to Georgia right now to go to the CNN headquarters to f — king gun every single last one of you.”
I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with this:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/[LEFT][COLOR=#14171A][FONT="Segoe UI"]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/881503147168071680[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

https://twitter.com/abc/status/[LEFT][COLOR=#14171A][FONT="Segoe UI"]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/832708293516632065[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
While I don't condone the President's moronic twitter tirades, this guy sounds unhinged to the point that just about anything could have compelled him to behave like this towards any institution at a given moment.
While true, at some point it becomes hard to continue to dismiss this kind of thing as just random, undirected noise.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
While true, at some point it becomes hard to continue to dismiss this kind of thing as just random, undirected noise.
I have no figures or data to back this up, but whackos like this have permeated the crust of society since the dawn of time. I don't think the President's criticisms of the media are inciting as much violence as some may think (or hope).

I was much more worried about his rhetoric during the campaign as that WAS, in my opinion, inciting violence in his rallies.

A man who threatens to kill an institution with guns is so fringe as to be set off by nearly everything. The exception rather than the rule.

The subtle underlying argument here is that Trump's current rhetoric can incite violence, DOES incite violence, and the whole of the party is ok with it and in some cases endorses it so we can dispose with the rest of their platform lock, stock and barrel because "look how loony these people are behaving."

The quip you posted above, the "I'm sure it has nothing to do with this...'VIDEO'" is basically the exact same arguments that Conservatives incorrectly use against Muslims and minorities.
A car bomb goes off in Turkey killing 50 people, Conservatives spam the ideology, "I'm sure it's because they are a religion of peace, right?". A brutal weekend of violence in Chicago between gangs and racists (not always conservatives) point to it as proof of - well, whatever racists are trying to prove about black people.

I think you'd rip someone apart for taking this angle - and rightfully so.

Saint Augustine said, "Never judge a philosophy by it's abuse." This was intended for religion but is purposefully left broad to encompass world-views. I think this cuts both ways politically.

One or even a handful of nutcases going off on either side of the aisle is hardly an academic indictment of either political persuasion and I don't think there's near enough evidence to condemn Trump (CURRENTLY) for inciting violence against the media. I repeat, I do think he, individually, incited violence at his rallies. But the media stuff is so gauche and over the top that it takes an extremist to truly view it as a call to arms, just like fringe groups on the left like Antifa or the Blank Panthers.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The quip you posted above, the "I'm sure it has nothing to do with this...'VIDEO'" is basically the exact same arguments that Conservatives incorrectly use against Muslims and minorities.

A car bomb goes off in Turkey killing 50 people, Conservatives spam the ideology, "I'm sure it's because they are a religion of peace, right?". A brutal weekend of violence in Chicago between gangs and racists (not always conservatives) point to it as proof of - well, whatever racists are trying to prove about black people.

I think you'd rip someone apart for taking this angle - and rightfully so.
I appreciate your post, and I fully understand your point here. Just to stick with religious analogies, I've retorted that you can't judge the core of Christianity by the KKK any more than you can judge the core of Islam by ISIS. So we are in agreement there.

On the other hand, if the Pope went on TV and demonized Muslims, said they were responsible for the suffering of Catholics, and advocated that Muslims be banned from entering Catholic neighborhoods, states, and countries, would you honestly claim he does not share any responsibility when his followers lash out violently against them? Does Hannity share any responsibility for pushing a falsehood that led to an easily manipulable man storming a family restaurant wielding an assault rifle? Does Trump's approbation of xenophobia make him partly responsible when easily manipulable racists run down an innocent woman with their car or stab people on a train after shouting Islamophobic remarks? Or, as in this case, when an easily manipulable man threatens to murder journalists after Trump has repeatedly called them the enemy of America and advocated violence against the media?

I'm not claiming there's a concrete answer to these questions. But like you said, he's incited violence at his rallies in the past. And I'm sure you'd agree that Trump hasn't done anything to diffuse violent tension now that he's in office. As I said before, at some point it becomes hard to keep dismissing the rise of xenophobia and attacks on the media as just undirected noise when the President either tacitly or actively encourages both. I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to feel that this point hasn't been reached yet. But at the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest maybe it has.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I appreciate your post, and I fully understand your point here. Just to stick with religious analogies, I've retorted that you can't judge the core of Christianity by the KKK any more than you can judge the core of Islam by ISIS. So we are in agreement there.

On the other hand, if the Pope went on TV and demonized Muslims, said they were responsible for the suffering of Catholics, and advocated that Muslims be banned from entering Catholic neighborhoods, states, and countries, would you honestly claim he does not share any responsibility when his followers lash out violently against them? Does Hannity share any responsibility for pushing a falsehood that led to an easily manipulable man storming a family restaurant wielding an assault rifle? Does Trump's approbation of xenophobia make him partly responsible when easily manipulable racists run down an innocent woman with their car or stab people on a train after shouting Islamophobic remarks? Or, as in this case, when an easily manipulable man threatens to murder journalists after Trump has repeatedly called them the enemy of America and advocated violence against the media?

I'm not claiming there's a concrete answer to these questions. But like you said, he's incited violence at his rallies in the past. And I'm sure you'd agree that Trump hasn't done anything to diffuse violent tension now that he's in office. As I said before, at some point it becomes hard to keep dismissing the rise of xenophobia and attacks on the media as just undirected noise when the President either tacitly or actively encourages both. I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to feel that this point hasn't been reached yet. But at the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest maybe it has.
So by your line of thought the conservatives are correct in blaming Obama in inciting riots in Ferguson, cop executions, and sections of BLM becoming increasingly violent because he decided to jump the gun about the outstanding character of Michael Brown and all but directly condemn the police.

The problem with attacking Trump for being a cult of personality is that you have the attack Obama as well.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So by your line of thought the conservatives are correct in blaming Obama in inciting riots in Ferguson, cop executions, and sections of BLM becoming increasingly violent because he decided to jump the gun about the outstanding character of Michael Brown and all but directly condemn the police.

The problem with attacking Trump for being a cult of personality is that you have the attack Obama as well.

the statement issued by obama a few days after the brown shooting

The death of Michael Brown is heartbreaking, and Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to his family and his community at this very difficult time. As Attorney General Holder has indicated, the Department of Justice is investigating the situation along with local officials, and they will continue to direct resources to the case as needed. I know the events of the past few days have prompted strong passions, but as details unfold, I urge everyone in Ferguson, Missouri, and across the country, to remember this young man through reflection and understanding. We should comfort each other and talk with one another in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds. Along with our prayers, that’s what Michael and his family, and our broader American community, deserve.
this link link provides a timeline

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The proposal to ban bump stocks looks all-encompassing and currently has no grandfather clause nor compensation for those who already own them: https://www.justice.gov/file/1046006/download?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
It's really sort of comical. IDK if it's still done in the army, but they used to let you try to fire an M-16 on full auto, just to prove that it can't be controlled, so that rifle and it's descendants are now set to fire in three shot bursts. I have a bump stock but I also have a muzzle brake which makes it controllable. Without that, unless you're firing at a whole parking lot, as the Las Vegas maniac was, an AR-15 with a bump stock can't be controlled. It's just a popular target at the moment. "Hey look! I'm doing something, at least!"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's really sort of comical. IDK if it's still done in the army, but they used to let you try to fire an M-16 on full auto, just to prove that it can't be controlled, so that rifle and it's descendants are now set to fire in three shot bursts. I have a bump stock but I also have a muzzle brake which makes it controllable. Without that, unless you're firing at a whole parking lot, as the Las Vegas maniac was, an AR-15 with a bump stock can't be controlled. It's just a popular target at the moment. "Hey look! I'm doing something, at least!"
They did the full auto demo for us at Little Rock AFB in March 1996, well into my enlistment. Guy who used M16 every day and knew what was coming - not one bit of control.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Not trying to be snarky but how were these controlled?:conf3:

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Not trying to be snarky but how were these controlled?:conf3:
They were in a relatively small room, lined up against the wall thinking they had been raided by the police. Multiple people using Thompson Tommy guns (.45 acp) cut them to shreds firing hundreds of rounds. Not much control is needed when multiple people are firing at you 10 feet or so away.

Edit to correct.

It was only 70 actual known rounds from the 2 Thompsons, but 2 shotguns were used as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.