Question: Has Jalen Hurts Improved as a Runner

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Go back and watch the cut he put on the Vandy player on one of his scrambles to the left where he almost scored; effortless and sick.
Jock strap remover.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Jalen doesn`t seem to me to really try to fight through contact to gain extra yardage, and in his case I would submit that that`s a good thing. I believe that it lessens his chances of injury. He`s a finesse, speed and angles kind of runner. Doesn`t mean he can`t ever be injured, but I personally kind of like seeing him go down on initial contact.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Jalen doesn`t seem to me to really try to fight through contact to gain extra yardage, and in his case I would submit that that`s a good thing. I believe that it lessens his chances of injury. He`s a finesse, speed and angles kind of runner. Doesn`t mean he can`t ever be injured, but I personally kind of like seeing him go down on initial contact.
It's on purpose/by design. He's playing smart to not take big hits if possible hence him stepping out of bounds and/or just kind of going down before impending heavy contact.

But he IS a powerful runner. He COULD fight for extra yardage but it's not worth the risk. Go back and watch the Shotgun QB draw 10 yard TD run on Ole Miss. He runs right up the gut and drags 2-3 guys with him the final 4-5 yards into the endzone like Tebow use to do at FLA. Those designed draws make me nervous too though.....but we seem to be dialing back on them lately.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I second the notion that Hurts can be a power runner if he wants to. He just shouldn't... it's not safe. If he runs with quarterback sensibilities, the team will be better for it. I'd still like to see him run less, and hope that as he evolves his running will be more selective.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
This is a good point. We have had some great blocks by our WRs as well which is huge.
This. The downfield blocking by the WR’s has been such a big help for Hurts. Also his running doesn’t exactly look “electrifying” but he seems to be very smart wig the way he runs. He goes down instead of fighting for an extra 1-2 yards, particularly after he’s made the first down.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Just ask the players....what they think....

Shaun Dion Hamilton;
"I feel like we could stop him because we can't tackle him (black Jersey) in practice," Hamilton said. "If we put a hit on him, he'd think twice about keeping the ball then."

Jalen Hurts;
"There are times when they tap me out and I'm really not tackled," Hurts said with a grin, "so we've got a mutual, what's the word... disrespect."

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
KrAzY3;3074582[B said:
]I second the notion that Hurts can be a power runner if he wants to.[/B] He just shouldn't... it's not safe. If he runs with quarterback sensibilities, the team will be better for it. I'd still like to see him run less, and hope that as he evolves his running will be more selective.
This in spades. Didn`t mean to infer that I think he`s incapable of running with power. Very much to the contrary. It`s just smarter the way he does it .

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Just ask the players....what they think....

Shaun Dion Hamilton;
"I feel like we could stop him because we can't tackle him in practice," Hamilton said. "If we put a hit on him, he'd think twice about keeping the ball then."

Jalen Hurts;
"There are times when they tap me out and I'm really not tackled," Hurts said with a grin, "so we've got a mutual, what's the word... disrespect."
I love this .... mutual disrespect because they don't get to play full contact.

Jalen is strong as an ox. As people have said, he doesn't get to play for contact like Bo and Damien, but once in a while you see a defender bounce off his legs and it reminds you he can do it.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
It comes down to execution, but last week's game had the best and most unpredictable playcalling I can remember for a long time. If guys can stay healthy we may be seeing the beginning of something prolific offensively.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Yes, I think he is a more effective runner, but I think it is a direct result of being a better passer. He is much more unpredictable. And I agree, I love the unpredictable play-calling this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.