Coach Saban Surpasses Coach Bryant in "Processing" of SEC

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
There was talk, back in those days, about Coach Bryant "processing" the league, from a head coaches standpoint. Programs fired good coaches because they won games, but never THE Game vs THE MAN, Alabama and Bryant. Cholly Mac at LSU and Bill Battle at tennessee are sort of the gold standard here. (I have sometimes wondered how well the exceedingly young Battle would have done there if tennessee had stayed with him).

But that level of processment pales in comparison with what we are seeing now due to the Power of Saban.

Look at the grade of Head Coaches that were in the SEC when Coach arrived, and what we have now...

LSU - Miles, the all time best winning % in Lsu history - Yaw-Yaw, the all time lowest win % in ole miss history
tennessee - fulmer - then dooley, now Jones
Arkansas - Petrino, now Bieliema
South Carolina - Spurrier, now Muschamp
UGA - Richt, now Smart
Florida - Meyer, then muschamp now McElwain
ole miss - nutt, then freeze, now ?
Texas A&M - Mike Sherman - now Sumlin

Of these, only UGA folks can have any reasonable hope they have improved.

Now think of the reasonable possibility all these programs may be making a move for next year...

In no particular order

Arkansas - South Carolina, Alabama and Auburn in the next 3
LSU - fanbase alrady clamoring for Ogeron's ouster, will they find a way to conquer the absurd 12.5 million buyout, and remove The Loosiana Man?
Texas A&M - is the typical aggie October- November collapse on teh schedule? And will that doom Sumlin? Bama in this week...
Ole Miss - Is Luke exposing himself as the Oxford Ogeron? Fans already asking for change and coodinator removals

Auburn - Same script as last year. Shaky start, look great in mowing throw a row of chumps mid-season. But will a loss to UGA and Bama spell the end og ole High School? That would be 0-8 for Georgia and Bama for Malzahn. The aubs have this seemingly never-ending roller coaster ride of love-hate with Malzahn, they are now all jumping back on the bus. But if teh season plays out exactly like last year, what will happen? And I will not believe Stidham makes it through a whole year without injury, until it happens.

Tennessee - it would seem as though the end is here for Butch. BUT - they are off this week, then have South Carolina and Bama. If they get the 1 win, that leaves Kentucky, Mississippi Southern, Mizzou, LSU Vandy. ut COULD win all those - and you have another vintage Jones 9 win season.

Florida - the uneasy Mac-Gator marriage continues. Like Auburn and Tennessee, this season has a "deja vu all over again" feel to it. What happens if UF gets another 9 or 10 win season (Given LSU and FSU situations, you can make a case for Florida running the table). Would another trip to Atlanta for a beat down prompt any change? Mac's body language is intersting to me - I personally do not think he is enthralled with his situation down there, and think if he could find a reasonable landing place, maybe further out west, he would seriously think about it.

I have just listed 7 programs whose fanbases, in varying degrees, would approve a Head Coaching change.

But there is one other possibility, whose fans would not - Mississippi State.

Mullen and State's win over LSU seems fraudulent now, and they were exposed by UGA and Auburn. But out of their last 7 games, all but Alabama seem winnable. IF Mullen gets to 8 or 9 wins, does he get an offer elsewhere, perhaps even in The SEC, that he accepts?

That is 8 programs out of 14 that would not surprise me if they had a different Head Coach next year. Coach Bryant, in a way, processed The League - Coach Saban has done it to a greater extent, and with a 14 team SEC instead of 10. We may see change in roughly 50% of the league - in one year.

You can absolutely make the argument that while Coach Saban has been great for Alabama - he has in some ways been detrimental to the SEC as a whole. The wounds are real - but in some ways self-inflicted, ala LSU. Great times in Tuscaloosa :biggrin::biga2::biga2::biga2::biga2:

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have no idea what happened 60 years ago in this arena, but if the SEC keeps this up they will become a laughing stock. No head coach worth a spit will go to an SEC school, and the other conferences will get stronger as a result. IMO, this plays to Alabama's advantage, but for those wanting a strong SEC, you will just get more of what you see this year.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I have no idea what happened 60 years ago in this arena, but if the SEC keeps this up they will become a laughing stock. No head coach worth a spit will go to an SEC school, and the other conferences will get stronger as a result. IMO, this plays to Alabama's advantage, but for those wanting a strong SEC, you will just get more of what you see this year.
I care about only one thing - a Strong Alabama. Screw the rest of the league

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I am a Alabama fan, the other 13 teams need to take care of business. If they cannot get good coaches you can blame Saban but it is not his fault. There are some good coaches out there, they need to quit paying millions to the Ed Orgerons of the world and buy good coaches. I mean really, millions of dollars for most of these guys is just crazy. The ones failing do not have the resume to justify the millions the schools thorw at them. Funny how just a few years ago those same schools complained of Nicks salary, he is the best investment any school has made. Man is worth 2 times his present salary, if these losers are worth their high pay.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice post. I know that coaches make the league. We have a tremendous coach and Kirby is definitely trending up but after that ???

I'd say the B1G probably has the best coaches top to bottom followed by the ACC. Over half of the coaches in the SEC need to be sent packing before this league rebounds IMHO. It seems all the successful coaches know how to recruit. So, it is no big surprise that UA, OSU, OU, FSU...and now UM, PSU, UGA, Clemson seem to always be in the hunt for post season success.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
A quibble: Sherman the Accountant was busy data processing himself out of college football without Saban's help - aTm didn't play 'Bama 'til joining the SEC after Sherman the Accountant was gone back to the NFL. As an assistant - because he's probably the only ex-NFL head coach with a .600 winning percentage who was fired (thankfully, by Green Bay) and never sniffed another pro head coaching job. But don't worry: Ahmad "Toast" Carroll and Freddy "4th-and-26" Mitchell say hello even if Saban never got the opportunity...

Last edited:

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Back in the 60's and 70's coaches usually last longer. Bear owned Shug at the Barn, Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss and Charlie Mac at LSU as a few examples as schools who kept their coaches even though they lost almost every year to Bama. Now if they have 3 bad years they are usually gone. Can you imagine the uproar if Coach Saban had 3 years like Coach Bryant had from 68 to 70 before he switched to the wishbone. There was one then but nothing like it would be now with instant feedback on social media and everyone getting to voice their displeasure. Plus there was the talking heads "experts" on tv crowing about Bama was no longer the team to beat. Now if we even lose one game they jump to shout from the rooftops that the end is near for Bama.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A quibble: Sherman the Accountant was busy data processing himself out of college football without Saban's help - aTm didn't play 'Bama 'til joining the SEC after Sherman the Accountant was gone back to the NFL. As an assistant - because he's probably the only ex-NFL head coach with a .600 winning percentage who was fired (thankfully, by Green Bay) and never sniffed another pro head coaching job. But don't worry: Ahmad "Toast" Carroll and Freddy "4th-and-26" Mitchell say hello even if Saban never got the opportunity...
And I am not sure A&M is any better/worse under Sumlin. It's still the same mediocre garbage. He's had one great year - 2012 - and it provide a ton of flash and upgrades in the stadium and football facilities. But since that season, they have regressed to the mean.

Also, Petrino processed himself out of the league on his motorcycle. And it's early, but Georgia may have actually gotten an upgrade. Very early, but the possibility remains.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Good post.

To me, it seems the chippier teams when it comes to Alabama are those from the SEC who are insanely jealous of our success.

If this means we dominate the SEC even more, I am ok with it! I enjoy rubbing their faces in it. Heh heh.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Hey, I agree its to Alabama's advantage. I mean, I can count on one finger the number of SEC teams whose fans (and Administrators) Don't Despise Alabama and constantly hope we fail, while riding on our coattails and chanting "S-E-C, etc" - and that one school IS Alabama.

Frankly, for all the idle chatter in the media and in the "Double Secret Committee" - strength of schedule is a complete Canard, and IF it matters at all, its WAAAAAAYYYY down the list, far below the Big #1 factor - TV Ratings.

Look at O$U in 2014 - they played ONE team All year that even had a pulse! And that was a LOSS to a mediocre VaTech squad. But they STILL got into the P_ayoffs, and got "Hot" at the right time - result? National Championship! For that matter, who did Clempson play in 2015 or 16?

Look at Miami and FRU in the 1980's and 90's. Those two programs dominated the Big-Least and ACC respectively, & in those days both were basketball conferences with a bunch of "Tomato Can" football teams. Didn't stop either of them from racking up NC's. Or Knebraska in the mid-90's - generally played No One - still won a bushel basket of NC's.

So while its "fun" and all to be able to brag about the SEC - frankly, beyond that its irrelevant to me. I'd be very happy for us to win every regular season game 60-3, and arrive in the P_ayoffs with a two deep roster of experienced (and healthy) players. :)

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
And I am not sure A&M is any better/worse under Sumlin. It's still the same mediocre garbage. He's had one great year - 2012 - and it provide a ton of flash and upgrades in the stadium and football facilities. But since that season, they have regressed to the mean.
I’ve said this time and time again, Sumlin has done what every aTm coach has done prior to him and that’s be mediocre. If it had not been for Lil Johnny they wouldn’t have had such high expectations. aTm is like Vandy, Miss State & Ole Sis at the start of this season - “Fools Gold.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.