Film Room: Alabama’s hybrid defensive front another Nick Saban innovation

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
If we can keep away from injuries, the time some of the young guys are playing will be very helpful if we get into a long drawn out game toward the end of the year. I like our defense and the way they seem to know where to be and what to do. Other teams have talent also. It makes a difference if our kids know who to cover and where to be. So far they look like seniors playing a complex defense.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
That's a great article, thank you!

I'm not too knowledgeable regarding the strategy of football, at least not to the level that the author is talking. Does anyone know a good way to look up information on X's and O's, say for instance the difference between a 3-3-5 Over and a 3-3-5 Okie?
Couple of good articles, here: https://www.cornnation.com/2017/1/17/14297024/bob-diaco-nebraska-huskers-football-defense-okie-front and here: https://www.cornnation.com/2017/2/7...rs-football-bob-diaco-decoding-3-4-over-front

To apply to the 3-3-5, just pull the SLB out and replace with the Star.

cliff notes:

okie is a hold-over term from the 5-2 alignment oklahoma used that morphed into the 3-4. Basically, it's where the NT is over the OC and the DE's are more or less heads up on the OT. We typically put the JLB over the TE.

The "over" front shifts that entire lineup over (hence the name) away from the formation strength half a man. The NT is then on the weakside eye of the OC, the weakside DE is outside the OT, the strongside DE slides to the inside eye of the OT and the JLB is just outside the TE. This basically looks like a 4-2 alignment, but with the JLB in a two point stance instead of with his hand in the dirt. When it lists 4-2-5 over, the best bet is that the JLB put his hand in the dirt and it's the same players on the field as the 3-3-5.

"eagle" changes some players from 2 gap to 1 gap but an outside player remains a 2 gap. The DE's slide slightly in to get into gaps easier. More aggressive and used to create more pressure. Requires a stud edge defender to play 2 gap against an OT.

"bear" front slides the DE's in more like 4-3 DTs playing on the outside shoulder of the OG or in the gap between the G and T. The NT is 2 gap, but the DEs are 1 gap and try to draw attention from both the G and T so the OLBs can either rush or drop.

3-3-5 "odd" and "split" are not ones I really know. Typically odd v even means 3 man front v 4 man front. Maye "odd" refers to "stack" where the LB are directly behind the DL and "split" is where the OLB is more aligned out in the flats, with the ILBs in the gaps between the DL, but that's just a guess.

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Couple of good articles, here: https://www.cornnation.com/2017/1/17/14297024/bob-diaco-nebraska-huskers-football-defense-okie-front and here: https://www.cornnation.com/2017/2/7...rs-football-bob-diaco-decoding-3-4-over-front

To apply to the 3-3-5, just pull the SLB out and replace with the Star.

cliff notes:

okie is a hold-over term from the 5-2 alignment oklahoma used that morphed into the 3-4. Basically, it's where the NT is over the OC and the DE's are more or less heads up on the OT. We typically put the JLB over the TE.

The "over" front shifts that entire lineup over (hence the name) away from the formation strength half a man. The NT is then on the weakside eye of the OC, the weakside DE is outside the OT, the strongside DE slides to the inside eye of the OT and the JLB is just outside the TE. This basically looks like a 4-2 alignment, but with the JLB in a two point stance instead of with his hand in the dirt. When it lists 4-2-5 over, the best bet is that the JLB put his hand in the dirt and it's the same players on the field as the 3-3-5.

"eagle" changes some players from 2 gap to 1 gap but an outside player remains a 2 gap. The DE's slide slightly in to get into gaps easier. More aggressive and used to create more pressure. Requires a stud edge defender to play 2 gap against an OT.

"bear" front slides the DE's in more like 4-3 DTs playing on the outside shoulder of the OG or in the gap between the G and T. The NT is 2 gap, but the DEs are 1 gap and try to draw attention from both the G and T so the OLBs can either rush or drop.

3-3-5 "odd" and "split" are not ones I really know. Typically odd v even means 3 man front v 4 man front. Maye "odd" refers to "stack" where the LB are directly behind the DL and "split" is where the OLB is more aligned out in the flats, with the ILBs in the gaps between the DL, but that's just a guess.
What?

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I bet that the defensive play book is a bear to learn..
Yep, there is a reason why you don't often see freshman break into the starting line-up. I once was on a plane sitting beside a Bama assistant that had his playbook with him that he was studying. I was amazed at how thick it was.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Yep, there is a reason why you don't often see freshman break into the starting line-up.
They have to be able to play the correct schemes.
It makes a huge difference when Saban has experienced players that understand his defense.

I'll also add it makes other fans sound foolish when they say Saban just wins because he has better talent. While he does have great talent other teams can match 11 on 11.

Coach Saban consistently out-coaches most of his peers.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I should have placed one of those funny faces beside it. I really was just trying to say that your post was way over the head of a novice like me. It as a very good post.
gotcha. if you do have any specific quotations let me know. I'm sure if you Google the group and front (3-4 bear or 3-3 eagle) there will be articles with diagrams and such.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.