News Article: When Johnny Football Mania took over the world

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Click here:

Alabama middle linebacker Nico Johnson: "You get a new team in the SEC, of course in your head you're like, 'Nah, they're not ready for this SEC play, this speed.' ... We weren't practicing our best, we weren't preparing our best, and Coach [Nick] Saban and Coach [Kirby] Smart had been preaching all week long that we needed to practice better."
Alabama long-snapper Carson Tinker: "That whole week, we didn't have a quarterback on scout team. ... It might have been a receiver, like Christion Jones. We said, 'Hey, just scramble. Don't even worry about throwing the ball.'
Nico Johnson: "Our game plan that week was to make Johnny a pocket passer. We didn't want him getting outside and ripping and running and extending plays because that's what he was great at. Well, we didn't do that. So Saban, after seeing us frustrated on the sideline for not doing our job, he ripped into us. And Coach Smart said the same thing: 'Just do your job. Just do your job.' Because we weren't. A lot of us weren't doing our job and a couple players got pulled out because of that."

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I remember that game. I was speechless at how Johnny was able to make plays and I wondered if we had enough gas in our tank to beat TAMU... I questioned the last play for Bama where AJ threw the interception. We should've ran the ball in.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
I saw Johnny Football in person at Independence Stadium against Louisiana Tech that year. He is the best football player I have ever seen in person and maybe ever. You could not catch him for anything. He was on another level and it showed every single play.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
You know we typically need a loss to wake up and go on a tear. LSU(2011), A&M(2012), Ole Miss(2014/2015) or a close win like TN(2009) and Ole Miss(2016). This team seems a lot more focused in SEC play and no one has gotten close to threatening us in the fourth quarter.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It was one of those games that you just were not meant to win. Miracle after miracle from aTm. The best game of Manziel's career.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I was on my way to an engagement party filled with a bunch of LSU fans. They were loving it since we had beat them the week before.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
To bad like tebow he was all that team had, both fell like all get out when they left.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
That was the only game I have missed since Saban arrived. We were at Cirque du Soliel and I had to record the game. I kept checking my phone during the performance hoping we'd win. I kept thinking we could win it with our last offensive series. He was a great college player that year but he is not a good role model at all.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
What caught my attention is that the team didn't take TAMU seriously that week. Saban and Smart preached to them the whole week and it didn't work. We should've won that game.. but That loss was a lesson for everyone.. always take the team seriously, no matter how good or bad they are.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think that game and the 2013 AU game were huge factors into why Saban ever hired a clown like Kiffin. We tried too hard to run the ball even when their defenses were putting 8, 9, and even 10 on the line, so we could not score like we needed to score, and their up-tempo offenses gave our defense fits. I think against A&M in 2012 and AU in 2013 all we needed to do was hit a few more pass plays to make their defenses play honest, but Saban hired Kiffin in a bit of an over-reaction. Kiffin definitely brought more to the passing game, but it cost us consistency and toughness on the line to run the ball. I'm glad we are back to being tough-nosed and focused on running the ball, while also being able to punish teams through the air. Johnny Fool-ball was definitely a great college player. Honestly, I thought he might be dead by now, but I hope he is getting things figured out.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Almost a great comeback, but regardless that game was a turning point for that team... And I think it has continually helped us in subsequent years.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I remember that game. I was speechless at how Johnny was able to make plays and I wondered if we had enough gas in our tank to beat TAMU... I questioned the last play for Bama where AJ threw the interception. We should've ran the ball in.
we should have run it in from first down on - one of the most puzzling play-calling sequences of The Saban Era imo.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The first Johnny Football game was an amazing thing to watch. That dude just had Bama's number.

What has happened to that amazing talented (but pathetically undisciplined) athlete has been like watching a slow train wreck. Such a wasted talent.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The first Johnny Football game was an amazing thing to watch. That dude just had Bama's number.

What has happened to that amazing talented (but pathetically undisciplined) athlete has been like watching a slow train wreck. Such a wasted talent.
Had our number, did he not only beat us 1 time?

tidegrandpa

All-American
He played a whale of a game the next year when we were down 14-0 but their defense wasn't what it was the year before, we scored almost every possession plus Sunseri's pick six.
I was at Kyle field that day with excellent seats and I have never seen a player go from zero to 10 yards any quicker and none since.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.