Question: Is there a Heisman contender on this team? Who?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Right now just too far off as far as numbers go. Plenty of time to make a push though. Barkley, Mayfield, and Love are the 3 to beat as of now it seems. If Wash State keeps winning, Falk will get an invite. Would be cool to at least have a guy in NYC for the event though.
Agreed. As far as I’m concerned, the race is still WIDE open.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Both times Alabama has had a winner, it seems there are certain people that think another player deserved it and should have won it.
Most media members and college football analysts thought McCaffrey should have won it based on his versatility and his number of total yards. This was talked about a lot in the thread during that time period but a big chunk of McCaffrey's total yards were gained on kickoff returns. Really? I mean we could have put Henry back to return kickoffs and he would've had an additional 500 or so total yards. If McCaffrey had won I would have been disappointed for Henry but I wouldn't proclaim that McCaffrey wasn't deserving. I think Henry and McCaffrey were both deserving and I think either would have been a fine choice. That's what ticks me off when media members say that Henry wasn't deserving which most of them have said and continue to say. Why do they have to put down Henry to make their point? Easy enough to say that both were deserving then give your thoughts on the situation vs saying that McCaffrey got robbed and he was clearly the better player..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe Jalen gets his passing yards over 200 yds a game. His WR/RB need to help him out also, he had two TD passes dropped against Vandy and one against OM. If he gets on a roll passing and we continue to chew people up he will be in the conversation.
I doubt it since he is going to get pulled in blowouts for Tua.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I believe Jalen gets his passing yards over 200 yds a game. His WR/RB need to help him out also, he had two TD passes dropped against Vandy and one against OM. If he gets on a roll passing and we continue to chew people up he will be in the conversation.
He's going to have to average over 230 yards passing per game for the rest of the season to get his average over 200 yards per game. I don't see that happening unless Alabama finds itself in a few shootouts.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think he'll be a legitimate Heisman candidate, but I think he probably makes it into the conversation anyway (so on top ten lists but not invited to the ceremony). He's making really good choices and as other teams rack up losses, undefeated Alabama and low number of turnovers would really work in his favor.

The issue is to become a serious candidate, not just make the top ten lists, he'll need to put up some numbers. As I see it, he needs to string together a couple of games where his combined stats are something like 500+ yards and 5+ TDs. His best two game stretch so far is 376 and 3 TDs (drops and coming out early contributed to this of course). They just aren't going to use Total QBR as a way of determining the winner, they need some eye catching numbers. Even one big game could propel him into the heart of the conversation though.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This might sound strange but I hope Jalen isn't in the Heisman conversation because that means we're running the ball more and playing to the strengths of our team. I think we all know that Jalen (and the offense) is capable of passing for big numbers if need be but having a ground based attack is the best philosophy from a risk/reward standpoint..

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
To me, to have a Heisman, you are relying to much on one guy. If that guy goes down you lose way to much. I like we have many who have the talent to win the Heisman, yet will not as they do not get enough touches,as we spread it around. Not to mention a good team can double up and shut down one guy, if that is all you have. LOOK at Fornet at LSU, he was great runner, but never got squat on Bama defense. A good D can shut down anyone. Best to have our situation, many play makers, who do you stop?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
They at least had an argument with Gerhardt over Ingram due to stats but no one could have a better claim than Henry. Dude has the greatest season in the history of the SEC and some people think he wasn’t deserving? Can’t fix stupid...
I actually thought there was a better argument for McCaffrey than Gerhart. Ingram was clearly better that year and the only stats where Gerhart outpaced him were in carries, 50 or so more total yards, and TDs. He was a TD monster for sure but IMO it wasn't really close when it came to who was the better player that year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He's going to have to average over 230 yards passing per game for the rest of the season to get his average over 200 yards per game. I don't see that happening unless Alabama finds itself in a few shootouts.
That's a good point. I think there are opportunities with a few teams with weaker secondaries that are going to put 8-9 guys in the box and spy Jalen that he can go off on for 300+. And I don't see us getting in too many shootouts and like B1G said Tua will clean up in blow-outs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As promised, here you go.

To let those who don't know.....

Ismail finished second to Ty Detmer that year......Prichard wasn't even in the top ten....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The Heisman Trophy is usually a joke. It has gotten better in the last 15 years, but on the whole it is better considered a Hype-Man trophy. Consider this particular case:

Candidate A - 297 rushes for 1781 yards, 14 TD (6.0)
Candidate B - 274 rushes for 1616 yards, 15 TD (5.9)

Now here's some more data for you to chew on.

1) Candidate B's team is unbeaten on the regular season, won the SEC title, and will win the national title after the voting; Candidate A's team is 8-3 on the year and an Independent.

2) Candidate B's team BEAT Candidate A's team head-to-head by three points at home. In that game, Candidate A rushed for 168 yards; candidate B rushed for 219 yards. Better yet, Candidate A fumbled the game away in the final minutes in the red zone.

3) Candidate B played ONE LESS GAME during the regular season because he was injured. He also was pulled early in two other games because.....

4) Candidate A was a senior, candidate B was a freshman.

Now..........who should win the Heisman Trophy here?

In my opinion, it isn't even close. Candidate B's team is in the title hunt, he won the head-to-head match by out-performing candidate A, who fumbled the game away.

Candidate A's assets are he has more rushing yards (mostly because he played more games), a miniscule 0.1 ypg rushing average, and he's a senior. (He also has fewer TDs).

The schedules fwiw were a wash.......Candidate A's was slightly more difficult but only because they played B's team while he played A's team.

Who should win the Heisman here all things being equal?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Most media members and college football analysts thought McCaffrey should have won it based on his versatility and his number of total yards. This was talked about a lot in the thread during that time period but a big chunk of McCaffrey's total yards were gained on kickoff returns. Really? I mean we could have put Henry back to return kickoffs and he would've had an additional 500 or so total yards. If McCaffrey had won I would have been disappointed for Henry but I wouldn't proclaim that McCaffrey wasn't deserving. I think Henry and McCaffrey were both deserving and I think either would have been a fine choice. That's what ticks me off when media members say that Henry wasn't deserving which most of them have said and continue to say. Why do they have to put down Henry to make their point? Easy enough to say that both were deserving then give your thoughts on the situation vs saying that McCaffrey got robbed and he was clearly the better player..
It is weird that both times it was a Stanford player that came in second. Most of types that complain also throw in the supposed "west coast bias." They fail to remember the number of USCw players that have won it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It is weird that both times it was a Stanford player that came in second. Most of types that complain also throw in the supposed "west coast bias." They fail to remember the number of USCw players that have won it.
You mean East Coast bias?

The thing is, East Coast bias IS a real thing. I denied it until I lived in California and saw it firsthand. I think it has gotten better (Mariota won the Heisman at Oregon for Pete's sake). But USC was almost always the exception to the rule. Yes, I can think of two immediate exceptions, Terry Baker at Oregon St and Jim Plunkett at Stanford. But it used to be that if you didn't play at USC, you had no chance at the Heisman if you were on the Left Coast.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mayfield and Barkley both took a hit in the Heisman race today. Maybe Jalen can step into the conversation today.
Barkley broke a big run late in the game, so he is fine. But I hope that people start noticing Jalen's play.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
After looking their rushing stats, I don't see how Damien Harris isn't getting more talk. People appear to really like Bryce Love from Stanford because he has so many long runs, but the guy has twice as many carries as DH and only two more TDs. He has over 700 yards more than DH but only averages 1 more yard per carry.

If DH continues what he's doing, he could begin to get the attention he warrants. Not to mention if Alabama goes 13-0.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
After looking their rushing stats, I don't see how Damien Harris isn't getting more talk. People appear to really like Bryce Love from Stanford because he has so many long runs, but the guy has twice as many carries as DH and only two more TDs. He has over 700 yards more than DH but only averages 1 more yard per carry.

If DH continues what he's doing, he could begin to get the attention he warrants. Not to mention if Alabama goes 13-0.
Right now Minkah and Harris should be in the talk for Heisman talks. I think the next few games will determine that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

He is averaging over 10 yards per carry. Come on.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.