Question: Is there a Heisman contender on this team? Who?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He is averaging over 10 yards per carry. Come on.
And he only has 11 TDs on 135 carries. He's averaging a touchdown every 12 carries and 126 yards. Damien averages a touchdown every 7.5 carries and 69.4 yards. That's all I'm saying.

Media wants to hype him up for his long runs and total yards, yet he's only scored 11 times.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Damien Harris just doesn't get the workload needed to win it. It sounds like his name is starting to get out there though so I would think if he keeps this up he will be on some lists soon. He needs to keep breaking off big plays and get TDs. It would help if he was used in the screen game more and could be seen as a receiving or rushing threat. I think the biggest issue he might have is if Bo or Jacobs or Najee have a huge game at some point.

Minkah has gotten a little bit more love recently and got a vote or 2 on ESPN's Heisman watch whatever. I think that is mostly due to a lack of clear Heisman runners on teams with legitimate playoff shots. He in no way has the stats right now to be a real contender.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
As much as I love all our players and the fact that I actually think Damien Harris is showing Heisman capability - I agree with HTTR, the workload isn't there. Minkah would need to be playing out of his mind in order to win the Heisman, even in a down year - it's just nigh impossible for a defensive player to win it. The best shot we have at a Heisman winner is still Hurts. As he continues to improve in the passing game his numbers will look better. Even still, it's a long shot.

Look at it this way. Every year Alabama has a player on offense who likely has the talent to win the Heisman trophy. Every. Year.
BUT, the way we IDEALLY like to run our offense makes it VERY difficult for any one player to get enough touches in order to win said trophy.

The outliers being 2009 where passing was NOT the strength of our team (despite having one of the best wide receivers to ever play the game lining up wide ever night - grumble grumble) and 2015 where we had injuries in the backfield narrowing down our options and a stop and start passing game that got better at the end of the season right as it needed to.

Defensively too MANY players make plays. Last year people were going crazy over Jonathan Allen, and he was AMAZING - but Reuben Foster was unbelievable as well - oh and all those INT's by Minkah - too many to choose from.

So even with Hurts, we are still going to hand the ball off A LOT to a myriad of talented backs, making it hard to put him out front. But it's very possible - we just don't like to ask 1 single player to do so much for the team. I know CNS didn't like the workload they put on Henry but it worked and there was a need so that's what we did. If our program ran the way CNS probably wanted it too, we'd likely never have another Hesiman winner as the team would be too balanced and no single player would stand out enough to get the award.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If DH continues what he's doing, he could begin to get the attention he warrants. Not to mention if Alabama goes 13-0.
One big issue is that for most of the season Hurts was Alabama's leading rusher. Harris just doesn't have the yardage right now. If he and Hurts had been playing in the 4th quarter every game, I imagine we'd be hearing more about both of them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
After looking their rushing stats, I don't see how Damien Harris isn't getting more talk. People appear to really like Bryce Love from Stanford because he has so many long runs, but the guy has twice as many carries as DH and only two more TDs. He has over 700 yards more than DH but only averages 1 more yard per carry.

If DH continues what he's doing, he could begin to get the attention he warrants. Not to mention if Alabama goes 13-0.
The best skill player on the best team always gets some eyeballs...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.