Question: Is there a Heisman contender on this team? Who?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Kevin Sumlin: Minkah Fitzpatrick deserves Heisman consideration

Saw this article and it got me thinking about if we have a legitimate Heisman contender. I don't necessarily mean someone who has a great shot at winning it(not sure we have one this year)but someone who has a good shot at an invite.

I think the obvious choice is Jalen but I'm not sure that his passing numbers will be high enough to get the attention he should. I think it will be really important for him to have a big game on a big stage too. To this point he hasn't really put up Heisman worthy numbers in a big prime time game so a lot of people have a slightly distorted view of him.

After last year I have lost all faith that the best defensive player has a real shot at even an invite. Jonathan Allen not getting an invite while Peppers did was absolutely criminal. For that reason I'm not sure Minkah has a real shot. The good news for him is that FSU is 1-2 so the James hype has died down some so he has a chance to be THE college football DB in a way he couldn't with James and FSU getting so much hype. He will definitely have to get a few TDs but he has started to pile up other stats that should help like tackles, sacks, etc.

Besides those 2 I don't think anyone else has a shot unless something dramatic changes. Too many RBs for any of them to have a shot and we run the ball too much for Ridley to have a shot.

What do you all think?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Depends on what you mean by "contender". IMO, Jalen is the only guy on this team with a chance because of the way that you are spreading the ball around this year, and given how much Tua has played, even that chance is very small.

Minkah has no shot since he isn't scoring touchdowns.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Depends on what you mean by "contender". IMO, Jalen is the only guy on this team with a chance because of the way that you are spreading the ball around this year, and given how much Tua has played, even that chance is very small.

Minkah has no shot since he isn't scoring touchdowns.
I just mean someone who could get an invitation to NYC. I don't think there is anyone with a real shot to beat out guys like Saquon or even the RB from Stanford.

I agree at this point about Minkah but its possible he gets a few TDs later in the season who knows? If he piles up sacks, tackles and PBU then gets a few TDs either off Ints or FF then I could see him getting an invite.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just mean someone who could get an invitation to NYC. I don't think there is anyone with a real shot to beat out guys like Saquon or even the RB from Stanford.
All of your hopes are pinned on Jalen this year. Win out and he probably goes to NYC. There really isn't anyone else to steal votes from him in the Southern regions.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Minkah is a fantastic player, but he's not putting up the numbers to get in the Heisman discussion. He doesn't even have an INT yet. He would need about 5-8 on the season with about 3 pick-sixes to become a contender.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Jonathan Allen not getting an invite while Peppers did was absolutely criminal. For that reason I'm not sure Minkah has a real shot.
For a defensive player to get consideration, he either has to also play offense too, or be a beast on special teams. Not really fair, but that's how the Heisman is. Maybe someday there will be a weak field on the offensive side and a truly dominant defensive player that puts up ridiculous numbers and highlight reel plays, so that this pattern gets broken.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yeah, Hurts is the only guy with a shot and he'd really have to start throwing the ball around a lot to get into the discussion. Part of the issue is also when a team has this many talented guys it is harder to focus entirely on Hurts as well. They want big numbers though and Alabama probably isn't going to give those to Heisman voters.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The way we play so many great layers no one has a shot at putting up those kind of numbers. I do feel we have a few that have the talent, and if they were on a team that used them a ton they would win. Our problem(good one to have) we have so much talent we spread out the fun. Therefore no one player will get the numbers to be considered. Give me a NC we have 2 heismans, that is great but I want MORE TITLES.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I heard that Jalen has only played 39 plays so far during the 3rd and 4th quarters this season.

He's currently 3rd in the country in total QBR, so he's got quality in his numbers just not the quantity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
As much as I'm a fan and supporter of Jalen and as much as I think he may indeed be the overall best football player in the country(Notice I said "may be"...lots of ball left to play) I doubt he'll get to "play enough" to win the trophy. We're simply blowing too many teams out too early.
If they didn't allow voting until after the playoffs he might have a pretty good shot.
I'll say this though, if he leads us to a national title and keeps the numbers he has going now, he'll be a leading contender next year.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.