Could Levi Wallace have a year of eligibility left?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
With his impressive play, I was reading his bio on rolltide.com and there is no mention of him taking a redshirt year. If that's the case does anyone know if he could get a redshirt for one of the earlier years he was on the team and have a year of playing time left? That could be a huge boost for next season since it looks like all 6 of the regular players in dime could be gone next year.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think redshirts are retroactive except in medical situations. Furthermore if he plays himself into a pro contract why stay? If he continues to play at this level he could be a late round selection or a UFA. If he has his degree and wants to move one to this possibility, then good for him and we should support his choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If he plays well rest of the year, he'll get drafted. At worst, he can sign with NFL team as free agent. Either way, I don't think he'll be back next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
It would be nice, since it is true that our secondary will loss a lot after this year, however, it does like Levi is playing his way into a NFL contract. So happy for him, but do wish we had him for another year.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think redshirts are retroactive except in medical situations. Furthermore if he plays himself into a pro contract why stay? If he continues to play at this level he could be a late round selection or a UFA. If he has his degree and wants to move one to this possibility, then good for him and we should support his choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only thing that affects eligibility (in regards to using up a year) is participation. How they're listed in the program is largely irrelevant. Bill Curry, his first two years here, never listed redshirts until their senior year. Assuming you redshirted your freshman year under him, you would be listed as a sophomore your second year with "SQ" as your experience level (for "squad") rather than "1VL" for "one varsity letter." If you were here all five years, you were listed as a senior twice (your RS junior and RS senior seasons).

We did that a couple of years and I remember him saying, rather humorously, that he changed it back heading into either the '88 or '89 season because "even I was getting confused looking at our roster."

So hypothetically, if Levi didn't play as a true freshman, he could be redshirted for that year. Unless the NCAA has changed the rules very recently, a school does not have to declare redshirts after every season is through. We would simply inform the NCAA that he has a year of eligibility left, and that's that.

But there is one other thing to consider: I don't know when Levi enrolled in college, but let's say he enrolled the fall of his 18-year-old year, after having graduated high school that past May, like most students do. That triggers his eligibility clock, and he has five years to play beginning that day and ending five years afterward. These guys you see go pro in baseball (like current walk-on TE Cam Stewart) and then come back to football as a 26-year-old, never enrolled in college. They never started their clock. Guys who went into active military service typically don't have to abide by that rule, either; I'm not sure whether there's an exception for military service in the rulebook (there probably is) or whether they're all getting waivers upon return. Point being -- and again, under the caveat that the rules have not changed since the last time I was aware of them -- you can't enroll in college, go two years, drop out, come back a decade later and still have three years eligibility. Not at the FBS level, anyway. In lower divisions, maybe so, and the NAIA is pretty much the Wild West. At the NCAA FBS level, once that clock starts, you have five years to play five -- and I believe you can also start your clock if you enroll in JUCO out of high school as well. There's also something pertaining to religious missionary work (i.e., primarily BYU) but I don't know the particulars.

In Wallace's case, if he has been enrolled five years but waited a year to walk on (again, not saying he did, just saying *IF*), then that year in effect becomes his redshirt year and he can't get it back.

If he's just been on campus four years, he's only played in 2 or 3 of those years, and should be able to utilize his fifth year of eligibility. Scholarship (or lack thereof) doesn't matter. Age doesn't matter. Participation and enrollment window matter.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Jess, I believe the rules are still as you stated. There's endless confusion over them, particularly the extra year for medical hardship...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Just to comment on the NFL front, I don't think he has a real chance of being drafted early enough that it would make sense for him to enter the draft over playing another year. He has been incredible this season so far but I don't think he will test very well. He has been beaten deep at least twice that I can think of where the QB simply missed the wide open WR. Don't get me wrong, he has been a great college CB this year but I'm not sure he will be drafted that high because of his limitations. Teez Tabor was hyped as a early 1st rounder and then fell all the way to the end of the 2nd round because of his own limitations and Levi has none of that same hype.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The Pro game needs a lot of good DBs and Levi has certainly matured into a very good one. He will be making bank next year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Pro game needs a lot of good DBs and Levi has certainly matured into a very good one. He will be making bank next year.
You are right about the need, but slow DBs get toasted in the NFL. I'm pulling for him, but he should play at Alabama as long as he can for the free education, as he will likely have to make a living with the rest of us.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
You are right about the need, but slow DBs get toasted in the NFL. I'm pulling for him, but he should play at Alabama as long as he can for the free education, as he will likely have to make a living with the rest of us.
Wholeheartedly agree. Levi`s done a great job this year. He`s a great "team" guy and should be a real inspiration to a lot of people. I really do wish and hope that he could come back for another year, we`ll need him both as a player and leader. Having said all that, from what I`ve read, he doesn`t have the foot speed to succeed against NFL caliber receivers on a consistent basis.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agreed. Levi is a very good college corner but if you don't have elite speed you can't play CB in the league. I don't know how accurate that posted 40 time is but he would need something in the low 4.5's to have a chance. I am hoping he will get another year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.