LOL: Ole Miss officially adopts Landshark mascot

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
No wonder the boosters wouldn't let him answer the NCAA-----------Sean Tuohy, you got some 'splainin' to do------

"Chancellor Jeffrey S. Vitter" <chancellor@olemiss.edu>
Date: October 6, 2017 at 11:36:15 AM CDT

Subject: A Letter from Chancellor Jeffrey S. Vitter
Reply-To: chancellor@olemiss.edu

October 6, 2017
We are proud of our students and their leadership and active engagement as important members of our university community. We recognize that their efforts stem from a desire to unify the Ole Miss family. The results of the Landshark poll confirm the sentiments that Ross and I have heard since arriving on campus — that the Landshark and “Fins Up” have become synonymous with the positive spirit and strength of our athletics program and the “Never Quit” attitude of Rebel Nation.

Upon learning of the ASB poll of students, we sought input from the executive committees of the Ole Miss Alumni Association, the Staff Council, the Faculty Senate, and the Graduate Student Council, as well as from the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and the Spirit Squad head coaches. In each case, the support for the Landshark mascot was unanimous. In addition, the past presidents of the Ole Miss Alumni Association and the boards of the Alumni Association and M-Club enthusiastically endorsed the action of the Alumni Association executive committee.
Indeed, the growth of the Landshark mystique over the last seven years has been phenomenal with every athletics team embracing it, including such standouts as Marshall Henderson with basketball and Kaitlin Lee with softball, in leading their respective teams to SEC championships.

Today, I’m excited to announce that we will move forward with the Landshark as the official mascot and retire Rebel the Bear. Athletics will be charged with designing, developing, and launching the Landshark mascot, with an anticipated unveiling before the 2018 season.
In closing, I want to state unequivocally that we are — and always will be — the Ole Miss Rebels. And I am asking all Rebels to unite around our new Landshark mascot.
Hotty Toddy and Fins Up!

Jeffrey S. Vitter
I vote they keep the women's track team and get rid of the rest of the athletics program...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No wonder the boosters wouldn't let him answer the NCAA-----------Sean Tuohy, you got some 'splainin' to do------

"Chancellor Jeffrey S. Vitter" <chancellor@olemiss.edu>
Date: October 6, 2017 at 11:36:15 AM CDT

Subject: A Letter from Chancellor Jeffrey S. Vitter
Reply-To: chancellor@olemiss.edu

October 6, 2017
We are proud of our students and their leadership and active engagement as important members of our university community. We recognize that their efforts stem from a desire to unify the Ole Miss family. The results of the Landshark poll confirm the sentiments that Ross and I have heard since arriving on campus — that the Landshark and “Fins Up” have become synonymous with the positive spirit and strength of our athletics program and the “Never Quit” attitude of Rebel Nation.

Upon learning of the ASB poll of students, we sought input from the executive committees of the Ole Miss Alumni Association, the Staff Council, the Faculty Senate, and the Graduate Student Council, as well as from the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and the Spirit Squad head coaches. In each case, the support for the Landshark mascot was unanimous. In addition, the past presidents of the Ole Miss Alumni Association and the boards of the Alumni Association and M-Club enthusiastically endorsed the action of the Alumni Association executive committee.
Indeed, the growth of the Landshark mystique over the last seven years has been phenomenal with every athletics team embracing it, including such standouts as Marshall Henderson with basketball and Kaitlin Lee with softball, in leading their respective teams to SEC championships.

Today, I’m excited to announce that we will move forward with the Landshark as the official mascot and retire Rebel the Bear. Athletics will be charged with designing, developing, and launching the Landshark mascot, with an anticipated unveiling before the 2018 season.
In closing, I want to state unequivocally that we are — and always will be — the Ole Miss Rebels. And I am asking all Rebels to unite around our new Landshark mascot.
Hotty Toddy and Fins Up!

Jeffrey S. Vitter
I don't understand. What does Tuohy have to do with this?

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
This is funny on soooooo many levels to me. Well, maybe a couple...

1--Ole Miss had this "vote" a few weeks ago, and if memory serves me correctly only about 4100 students participated in the vote. AT A UNIVERSITY OF OVER 20,000 STUDENTS????? And it changes the mascot????????

2--The thumb on your forehead reminds me a of little game we used to play in my much younger days. If you burped around a group of folks, the last person to do this had to "eat it."

Guess we can call them the Ole Miss Burpers next.

Or something like that.

Whatever....:rolleye2:

:biggrin:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I also have to say, that is in the running for the dumbest looking hand gesture of all time. Especially when an entire group of people do it together.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Somebody's probably already said it, but this is just proof in the misnomer that any publicity is good publicity.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
They should've just kept Col. Reb but made him look less like a plantation owner. I guess the alternative was to play up the colonel part and that wasn't likely to help undergraduate 'crootin either.

If I overstay my welcome, just tap me on the head

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I also have to say, that is in the running for the dumbest looking hand gesture of all time. Especially when an entire group of people do it together.
Hold on - it's kissin' cousin to the Brits' "digital" display called "cocking a snook"

which means, theoretically, that they could've chosen another "fishy" name, the Thar They Blow'l Miss Land Snooks. Or, Schnooks in their case... Of course, for us oldtimers, they would've been better off with a mascot that was the original land shark loser, the Edsel

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
It's stupid how they handled this whole thing, but the shark is better than the black bear.
The fans and players already do the shark gesture, so it makes some sense, the black bear was just all around dumb.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's stupid how they handled this whole thing, but the shark is better than the black bear.
The fans and players already do the shark gesture, so it makes some sense, the black bear was just all around dumb.
It would make a lot more sense if sharks could actually go on land. Landshark is literally an SNL skit, a joke. It is not a thing. A shark, yes a shark is real. A beached shark? That's something that dies shortly thereafter.

May be they should have petitioned the people with the rights to Sharknado and at least then it would have been funnier.

Edit: Google also revels is it a JennaMarbles video, which I would link to but you know, language (apparently Ole Miss got it wrong and the fin is supposed to be on the back). Basically, that video might as well be Ole Miss' promotional video now.

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The only thing that would make this better is if somehow the Laughing Stocks, er I mean the Land Sharks figure out a way to beat the boogs this weekend.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
It would make a lot more sense if sharks could actually go on land. Landshark is literally an SNL skit, a joke. It is not a thing. A shark, yes a shark is real. A beached shark? That's something that dies shortly thereafter.

May be they should have petitioned the people with the rights to Sharknado and at least then it would have been funnier.

Edit: Google also revels is it a JennaMarbles video, which I would link to but you know, language (apparently Ole Miss got it wrong and the fin is supposed to be on the back). Basically, that video might as well be Ole Miss' promotional video now.

Yea, i agree it's still silly.
But i have a lot of relatives that are Ole Miss fans, and they jump up and do the shark hand thing when they watch the team(not so much this year though LOL).
It seems really dumb to do that if the mascot is a bear ha ha.

So, i at least think it's more fitting to be the landsharks

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I guess I'm just not hip and into what's hot right now. I remember the land shark from the old SNL scetch, but is it still known today? I am familiar with the beer, but are they referring to the one from SNL? Are people today aware of it who were not alive then?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.