Video Game Wolfenstein II Angers Americans Over Anti Nazi Stance

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
http://www.newsweek.com/nazi-video-...is-make-america-nazi-free-again-slogan-679530

It's a hell of a time in America when a video game taking an anti-Nazi stance is considered by some to be too controversial. Yet here we are.

The video game Wolfenstein II, the latest iteration of an exercise in killing virtual Nazis, has angered Nazis with an online presence because it is about... killing Nazis.

A certain subgroup of folks got angry online with the game-maker, Bethesda Softworks, for producing a product that thinks Nazis are bad. Many claimed they weren't angry about the anti-Nazi stance per se, but rather that the game was tapping into liberal anger. Certainly it is political to co-opt President Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan, but Bethesda Softworks is hardly the first one to play with the line made famous by the billionaire Republican.

So, people on Twitter got angry about a promo saying Nazis were bad. Here are a few responses.

That's America now apparently. Nazis = bad is too extreme of a stance to take for a game that's been about fighting Nazi's since 1981.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Down is up and up is down. They likely have never even played Wolfenstein and don't know that the whole premise of the game revolves around Nazi occupied America after WWII. Even WITH that qualifier leveling the playing field somewhat I don't understand how wanting Nazis out of America is a bad thing. Someone needs to make a game where the main character gets to suplex some Black Panthers or something.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Since 1981? It has been around 36 years and I just learned it existed when I opened this thread.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Wolfenstein 3D in 92 was the breakout, being one of the earliest first-person shooters. Had the shareware version on my first PC, a Packard Bell 386. Spent many hours killing virtual Nazis.
Same here. That was one of the first PC games I really spent a lot of time with.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
The way I read it was people were upset because they think Bethesda is calling the Trump side Nazis, and not that they are upset about killing Nazis.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.