Internal emails show Breitbart intentionally courting the racist and sexist

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Buzzfeed has acquired and released a cache of internal Brietbart emails. I know that most of us here don't hold a favorable view of Brietbart, but their cultural influence over the past few years has been profound.
This is a long article, but well worth reading: LINK

In August, after a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville ended in murder, Steve Bannon insisted that "there's no room in American society" for neo-Nazis, neo-Confederates, and the KKK.

But an explosive cache of documents obtained by BuzzFeed News proves that there was plenty of room for those voices on his website.

During the 2016 presidential campaign, under Bannon’s leadership, Breitbart courted the alt-right — the insurgent, racist right-wing movement that helped sweep Donald Trump to power. The former White House chief strategist famously remarked that he wanted Breitbart to be “the platform for the alt-right.” The Breitbart employee closest to the alt-right was Milo Yiannopoulos, the site’s former tech editor known best for his outrageous public provocations.

In March, Breitbart editor Alex Marlow insisted “we’re not a hate site.” Breitbart’s media relations staff repeatedly threatened to sue outlets that described Yiannopoulos as racist. And after the violent white supremacist protest in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August, Breitbart published an article explaining that when Bannon said the site welcomed the alt-right, he was merely referring to “computer gamers and blue-collar voters who hated the GOP brand.”

These new emails and documents, however, clearly show that Breitbart does more than tolerate the most hate-filled, racist voices of the alt-right. It thrives on them, fueling and being fueled by some of the most toxic beliefs on the political spectrum — and clearing the way for them to enter the American mainstream.

It’s a relationship illustrated most starkly by a previously unreleased April 2016 video in which Yiannopoulos sings “America the Beautiful” in a Dallas karaoke bar as admirers, including the white nationalist Richard Spencer, raise their arms in Nazi salutes.

In an April 6 email, Allum Bokhari mentioned having had access to an account of Yiannopoulos’s with “a password that began with the word Kristall.” Kristallnacht, an infamous 1938 riot against German Jews carried out by the SA — the paramilitary organization that helped Hitler rise to power — is sometimes considered the beginning of the Holocaust. In a June 2016 email to an assistant, Yiannopoulos shared the password to his email, which began “LongKnives1290.” The Night of the Long Knives was the Nazi purge of the leadership of the SA. The purge famously included Ernst Röhm, the SA’s gay leader. 1290 is the year King Edward I expelled the Jews from England.
Cute.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Buzzfeed has acquired and released a cache of internal Brietbart emails. I know that most of us here don't hold a favorable view of Brietbart, but their cultural influence over the past few years has been profound.
This is a long article, but well worth reading: LINK

Cute.
both sides, or something like that

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
they have become pretty much mainstream republican at this point.
We will have to agree to disagree. Even with my most diehard republican friends (note I didn’t say trumpsters) don’t view them as a credible “news” source. I’ve had several conversations about this very topic recently with them. At one time I think you were probably right but now not so much, especially with Bannon’s shenanigans in the WH.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We will have to agree to disagree. Even with my most diehard republican friends (note I didn’t say trumpsters) don’t view them as a credible “news” source. I’ve had several conversations about this very topic recently with them. At one time I think you were probably right but now not so much, especially with Bannon’s shenanigans in the WH.
understood. i am making that judgment due to trump being in the white house (turning it into brietbart central) as a top president and having a fairly significant support base within the republican party. i think there are still some that haven't gone there, but the gop has been drug (with not much kicking and screaming) fully into crazy town and the trumpsters make up a substantial portion of the gop.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
understood. i am making that judgment due to trump being in the white house (turning it into brietbart central) as a top president and having a fairly significant support base within the republican party. i think there are still some that haven't gone there, but the gop has been drug (with not much kicking and screaming) fully into crazy town and the trumpsters make up a substantial portion of the gop.
That’s a good point. But even in deeply red state like AL you’re seeing the republicans distance themselves from Bannon. For example, Bannon endorsed Roy Moore and McConnell and company (& Trump) endorsed Luther Strange in the runoff. When Moore won the nomination it was surprising to me see Bannon at Moore’s victory rally opposing his former boss. Not exactly fighting for Trump’s agenda here with his influence as he vowed to do as he left Washington. Mainstream republicans (politicians & constituents) view Bannon much like you and me- a lunatic blowhard. Personally, I think we over estimate the influence of fringe sources like Breitbart, The Blaze, and leftist equivalents. Again, just my opinion and observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That’s a good point. But even in deeply red state like AL you’re seeing the republicans distance themselves from Bannon. For example, Bannon endorsed Roy Moore and McConnell and company (& Trump) endorsed Luther Strange in the runoff. When Moore won the nomination it was surprising to me see Bannon at Moore’s victory rally opposing his former boss. Not exactly fighting for Trump’s agenda here with his influence as he vowed to do as he left Washington. Mainstream republicans (politicians & constituents) view Bannon much like you and me- a lunatic blowhard. Personally, I think we over estimate the influence of fringe sources like Breitbart, The Blaze, and leftist equivalents. Again, just my opinion and observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i hope the sanity can win out. sounds like they are making runs at several gop seats.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
they have become pretty much mainstream republican at this point.
Just a note here (and you qualify this further down, thank you), the mainstream conservative/GOPs like S E Cupp, Tom Nichols, etc have been distancing themselves from Breitbart for some time, declaring the modern group to be an utter embarrassment to their founder.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Just a note here (and you qualify this further down, thank you), the mainstream conservative/GOPs like S E Cupp, Tom Nichols, etc have been distancing themselves from Breitbart for some time, declaring the modern group to be an utter embarrassment to their founder.
i saw cupp on bill maher's show (my wife watches it occasionally) a few weeks back and she was ragging on trump and his supporters pretty hard.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i saw cupp on bill maher's show (my wife watches it occasionally) a few weeks back and she was ragging on trump and his supporters pretty hard.
Yeah, Nichols publicly endorsed Hillary months before the election and rips Trump on Twitter every day. Then some new clown shows up and bashes Nichols when he points out Hillary lost a winnable race by her own poor showing.

George Will also abandoned the GOP prior to the election and warned what a disaster Drumpf would be in so many ways.

I'm not totally sure I agree with the characterization of Breitbart by Cupp et al. I see no evidence Andrew was a racist or sexist, but he WAS, in fact, a propagandist (Shirley Sherrod for starters) for untrue things on occasion.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Stephen Bannon steps down from Breitbart

He ticked off the Mercers, principle funders of both the President and Breitbart, and he lost positions with both organizations. It'll be interesting to see how he uses his waning alt-right influence, knowledge of Trump's campaign and transition, and/or his familiarity with the dark money billionaires who have seemingly destroyed his ambitions.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have this theory that Trump told Bannon to leave and go out and start attacking him. That way, people see somebody even crazier than Trump out there blasting Trump. Therefore people see some big nutjob being against Trump. And who wants to be in the same camp as some racist, screaming, idiot? That then sways some of the fence sitters back into the Trump camp.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Not a Breitbart fan personally. Obviously, Breitbart failed to learn a lesson from Hillary about emails. Always talk in a "safe" room, never put anything in writing, and if things get hot, Arkancide comes in to play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.