“Artificial” noise in stadium

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I know the rule is there to stop artificial noisemakers in the stadium. It eliminates the cowbells. What about the stadium speaker system blaring between plays? I was watching OM/boog game and between plays agbarn had music blaring over the PA system. I’m sure other schools do it as well. Isn’t this “artificial” as well?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I think that’s crap. The whole point is to deafen the other team so they can’t communicate. (Frankly I don’t wanna listen to the crap blaring over the PA either)

It isn't allowed during plays. Between plays is fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I know the rule is there to stop artificial noisemakers in the stadium. It eliminates the cowbells. What about the stadium speaker system blaring between plays? I was watching OM/boog game and between plays agbarn had music blaring over the PA system. I’m sure other schools do it as well. Isn’t this “artificial” as well?
We started doing it as well -- I think back to the 2014 season (maybe before even). Not my favorite but if the players and fans like it, so be it.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I miss the days when the only thing coming over the PA between plays was Dr. Pepper giving scores to other games.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Right. This ties into that, but yeah, this is why they do it. (And with all due respect to some of the old codgers on here, younger fans like it too.)
I’ll accept your due respect;) The incessant noise is one of the main reasons why this old codger doesn’t drive the 3+ hours to the games much anymore. Fine if it’s a big 3rd down or after TD but otherwise it’s on my last nerve for 4 hours :D. Went to a big 7A GA high school game last night and it was the same thing. Having to yell over it to have a conversation with my young daughters isn’t my idea of fun.

But I’m an old codger (or at least have old codger leanings) so I’m part of a dying breed :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I’ll accept your due respect;) The incessant noise is one of the main reasons why this old codger doesn’t drive the 3+ hours to the games much anymore. Fine if it’s a big 3rd down or after TD but otherwise it’s on my last nerve for 4 hours :D. Went to a big 7A GA high school game last night and it was the same thing. Having to yell over it to have a conversation with my young daughters isn’t my idea of fun.

But I’m an old codger (or at least have old codger leanings) so I’m part of a dying breed :D
The younger crowd doesn't talk. They text, even when sitting next to one another. They could all lose their hearing completely and probably never notice.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Everyone needs to make up their minds after sitting thru a big game at MSU.
I'm 3/4 deaf, but I still always seem to hear a lot more of that crap than I want. Yep, I'm old.
Do away with the cowbells and there will be a push to stop our playing 'Hell's Bells'...
Other teams have adopted the bells this year. I would be happier with no piped in music/noise... Allow the announcers to announce. Give me scores. Heck, they can even tell me that Elvis is dead... Half the time I tune those guys out anyway.

BamaMcGowin

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 8, 2012
Corydon, Iowa
I'm on the younger side of the argument, but I agree that the incessant rap, rock, etc., music is totally unnecessary. I used to go to Bama games as a kid and loved the atmosphere with the Million Dollar Band and all the little songs/cheers they used to play between plays. I went to a game last month, and got to hear the Million Dollar Band only a few times during the entire game other than Yea Alabama after each score. If they are trying to create an atmosphere for drunken college students, they've suceeded. If they want to create an old fashioned college atmosphere like A&M had yesterday and seems to always have (which Saban himself praised 2 years ago), they'll go back to letting the band do what they're there for. - My two cents...

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I understand why they do it. Fans sitting there for 3 or 4 hours get tired, and playing music picks up our energy level. I would be good with about half as much as they do, or less. The problem is more than half of our fans are very lazy compared to those in other stadia. I don't consider it difficult to yell a good bit when our defense is on the field, but often it seems everyone else in my lower section can't be bothered to do so. It has to be a tough SEC opponent on a key down to be worth many people's trouble. I think that to post that you don't like the music, you need to also say that you stand up and support the defense almost all of the game. Hopefully those of you saying this do so.

Last edited:

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Had not noticed or maybe was had just not paid attention to it but at the A&M game it seemed the music played well after the officials whistled the start of play. You would think there would be a rule that you can’t have loud speakers playing after the play is whistled in. Maybe we do it too and I just never noticed but for some reason it was particularly noticeable during the Aggie game. By the way the Aggie fans were great as usual. Very classy.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.