Game Thread: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. TAMU...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm reasonably sure Oklahoma or Michigan would gladly trade places with us. I thought Buggs had a coming out type of game tonight. He was relentless in the first half.
This one is over and Roll Tide! Let's go get the Hogs!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
OM put up 23 points and 430 yards. Most of it against the ones. A decent to good O can move the ball on them. Bama is better than that if they just play their B game. Bama's D is better.
I’m sure our 66-3 beatdown Of Ole Miss influenced the amount of effort the barn put into that game. I assure you it won’t be at that level when we go to Jordan Hare.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We were moving on them just fine but lost intensity. This lackluster win was not due to inability but because of losing focus and respect for the opponent. 24-3 to 27-19 final score is not Alabama football. That is not how we finish. Schools like Auburn may take that but we don't.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Good: We survived a good road game test against a A&M team that arguably played their best game of the season (and somehow suited up Johnny Manziel to play) On a side note, Good to see Stallings up and about.

Bad: Our focus was't the same as the last two wins ... may have been because of the crowd honestly. Dropped passes, Foster unfortunately had an off night.

Ugly: Missed catches. How A&M somehow cheated and snuck J. Manziel in to play as Mond.

Bottom line is we won. We have to go in with good focus against Arky and Tenn so we can get to some much needed rest. i still think this team can run the table if they keep their focus, but its not going to be a cakewalk.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I can't REALLY say what I think about that overall performance....

If there is a positive.... I thought the defense played hard and even though they had a few breakdowns... they are ultimately why we won and didn't lose. They showed some guts. Some young guys are getting better and really stepping up on the front 7 too. They showed up to play I thought.... despite a few sandlot plays.

That O-Line though. I'm sorry but that was embarrassing. There is no defending that lack of effort. They were prancing around and getting wrecked. It would be one thing if they were trying their best and the other guys were just better but that's not the case. They were getting BLOWN UP by opposing players that were just flat getting after it harder.

AU and Clemson both have D-Lines about 5-10 times better than A&M's.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It was disappointing that we didn't move the ball better. Texas A&M was ranked #63 in total defense and #78 in scoring defense. If we have to play Clemson again how do we move the ball? Clemson is ranked #6 in total defense and #4 in scoring defense.
Bama would likely play much better. Seasons have their ups and downs. If all the games that were played today, would be played again next week, most games would be quite different, some dramatically so.

I was actually encouraged by the game in many respects. The D was very good. The DL was especially effective, Buggs was outstanding, Williams and Ray got sacks, they both look like players. Bama does not get enough credit for being a clutch team. When they were somewhat threatened at 24-12, they stoned A&M's O with sacks by Williams and Ray - 3rd and 31. Then the O took the punt and drove, running out the clock and scoring an important FG. The O didn't look that good except when they had to - they had an off night, against a decent team who was at home and inspired. Not bad.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I’m sure our 66-3 beatdown Of Ole Miss influenced the amount of effort the barn put into that game. I assure you it won’t be at that level when we go to Jordan Hare.
The fact remains that a decent O can move the ball on AU. AU's D is good, but not like a few believe. On top of everything else Kevin Steele is their DC. Last year Bama put up 500 yards on their "terrific" defense. Their D is better this year, but Bama's O is much better this year. Not predicting anything, just stating what I think to be true.

Now that AU is proving to be good, I'm afraid that a few Bama fans are going to be spooked into losing sleep. It's just a football game and more to the point Bama has beaten AU 7 of 9, including 3 of 4 at J-H. Their two wins were by 2 of their 5 or 6 best teams of all time, ranked #2 and #4, one won a NC and the other played in the game, and it took multitudes of breaks and strange plays to pull it off.

Last edited:

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Ok so maybe this isn't the thread for this. I am not trying to call anyone out either for it. I Just find it curious whenever someone brings up Auburn and Clemson. Like I get it, tonight' effort wasn't the best. But I really have a hard time believing Alabama is going to play the same way in week 12 as they did in week 6. I have a hard time believing Alabama is going to be the same team in week 12 that they were in week 6. Teams get better and sometimes they get worse. But the auburn game is almost 2 months away. As far Clemson goes. It kills me whenever someone acts like a team Is a shoe in for the national title game. I have watched so many times when these teams who are just "shoe in" for the game lose the biggest game of the season and not even make it to the title game. And that would be what? the 15th game of the year? Alabama is gonna be the same team on January 10th (or whatever) that they were on October 7th?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We won sloppy. We will play better. Still don't see a real challenger outside of maybe Auburn and Georgia though.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
So I’ve been listening to the post-game radio show. Is it me or is it about 90% commercials? Other than that, I think it was a good win. Wasn’t pretty, but we’re not going to club everyone 60-0.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I agree, this game does feel like a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then you’ve forgotten what it’s like to lose. Go watch the NC game last year for a reminder. Losing sucks. Winning is awesome.

There’s no way this game feels like a loss.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Was it pretty NO but every yr you play in one or two games like this. The fact we won says a lot. Play bad and still find a way to win. In the long run we need a tough game. If they get to easy we get to lazy. We won and Nick will scream like all get out. Best of both worlds. This gives nick plenty to show why they have to work so hard all week and never under estimate any team. I bet even Nick would admit a bad win does more to help him than a great win. He gets to point out failures without taking a loss.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
The fact remains that a decent O can move the ball on AU. AU's D is good, but not like a few believe. On top of everything else Kevin Steele is their DC. Last year Bama put up 500 yards on their "terrific" defense. Their D is better this year, but Bama's O is much better this year. Not predicting anything, just stating what I think to be true.

Now that AU is proving to be good, I'm afraid that a few Bama fans are going to be spooked into losing sleep. It's just a football game and more to the point Bama has beaten AU 7 of 9, including 3 of 4 at J-H. Their two wins were by 2 of their 5 or 6 best teams of all time, ranked #2 and #4, one won a NC and the other played in the game, and it took multitudes of breaks and strange plays to pull it off.

Seriously. It's a good problem to have when you pretty much have a 3 score lead alkyl bought, and end up with a comfortable 2 score win. This is A&M, on a night of celebration for the school's history, with a coach coaching for his job. They are the second best team on a schedule, and should be undefeated until we got through with them. I did not sweat one bit all night. I just wanted to see how they dealt with adversity and I was really entertained with the outcome.

The defense made key stops when needed and the offense had a long scoring drive. A Long successful drive mixed with passing and rushing without Calvin Ridley. I personally feel like this was a strong outing for Jalen Hurts. If the receivers actually make plays as opposed to expecting the ball to fall in between the facemask as they run in for a touchdown, then everyone would be highly impressed with his down the field passes. For weeks we have seen receivers allow the ball to fall right next to them without even putting their hands out for it. Finding the ball in the air is a big part of ball skills, and Foster allowed the deep pass to fall next to him. I know Todd call out Jalen for not putting the ball directly on the open man, but he put the ball in the air right before Foster actually got open and that ball should have been caught whether he was open or not. He then goes on to drop a pass and then fumble. Not to mention the smart played by the Texas A&M Defender that was called pass interference instead of what should have been a touchdown pass. My inclination is that it would have been dropped too by the receiver.

I feel like they wanted to test the passing game a bit in 3rd quarter with the sizable lead. Due to the fumble it may have hurt them a little bit. I am personally in love with Brian Daboll as of now. I don't think it was a bad time to do it, though the running game, including Jalen, was what created the lead primarily.

Defensively they were strong all day long. When Texas A&M finally got some momentum after the fumble, it took two 4th down conversions and great plays to score the first touchdown ; and another magical series in order to score the second touchdown where the defense had the QB dead to rights for what was essentially a garbage touchdown.

This wasn't exactly a narrow win such as Tennessee 2009 or even 10-0 LSU 2016. This team has spoiled us a little bit, because I don't think there are too many weaknesses that you can truly point at. It's hard to win on the road in the SEC vs quality competition. Best of luck to Texas A&M the rest of the year.

excuse my rambling as I'm typing from my phone via voice text

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
We didn't play very well on Offense. But, this type of game happens every time we play a John Chavis led Defense. This game last night reminded me of some past LSU games. We won them, but they were ugly.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
On the blocked punt, I posted this in the game thread but it got lost. I do not understand why JK went with the mechanics he did. Backed up that far, you drop your off leg to the end line and stand with the kicking leg forward. You take one step and kick.
At 6’5” a 3 step punt puts you dead into the middle ove even the most lackluster rush.
Yeah, where he was standing he might as well have been taking a snap from shotgun. He was nowhere near the the backline.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This was a game in which the offense did not even try to take what the defense was giving them. aTm was loading the box, and Alabama was trying to impose its will in the running game. Many fans want to see this happen in every game, but when it doesn't work you really do have to take what the defense gives you. For some reason, Alabama just was not prepared to do that in this game.

IMO, Daboll spent the entire week planning on how to beat them on the ground. Well, Alabama did that - barely. Try that against Auburn and you will leave with a loss. When a team has a great front 7 and a weak secondary, then they double down by loading the box, you do not run the ball. You pass. To do otherwise is to risk the entire season. It seemed to me that Daboll never even considered the possibility that they might need to actually attack the secondary in this game. It wasn't a part of the game plan at all. That is a shame, and totally inconceivable.

The coaches have as much to learn from the game as the players, IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.