No: I am NOT a brown nose! (supporting JessN)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: No: I am NOT a brown nose!

There were calls missed both ways. Go to Tex Ags and there's a thread where a member took a screenshot of about 12 different plays that Alabama should've penalized on and we weren't. I'd rather they officiated like they did rather than call an additional 10 penalties on each team. However many calls they missed on Texas A&M they probably missed just as many on our team. I dislike blaming a teams performance on officiating. There's a plethora of penalties that go uncalled in every game. They could call holding on both teams on just about every play - then there would be complaints to just let them play..

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

There were calls missed both ways. Go to Tex Ags and there's a thread where a member took a screenshot of about 12 different plays that Alabama should've penalized on and we weren't. I'd rather they officiated like they did rather than call an additional 10 penalties on each team. However many calls they missed on Texas A&M they probably missed just as many on our team. I dislike blaming a teams performance on officiating. There's a plethora of penalties that go uncalled in every game. They could call holding on both teams on just about every play - then there would be complaints to just let them play..
Once I asked an SEC/ACC level official (also president of a lower tier school) how officials miss holding calls. His answer: they are often too close to the action to see it. There is so much going on and you don't want to call the end of something where you didn't see the entire encounter. He said that often people in the stands have a better chance of seeing offensive holding than do the officials. I know if I were standing behind the line I would focus on staying alive and out of the way!

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

I agree that poor officiating (all too common these days) does NOT excuse poor performance by our team. HAD we played up to our ability, the bad calls would not have mattered. The game would have ended 48-3 or 50-10, and the bad calls would have been just another footnote to another dominant win.

But we Didn't play well, and thus the bad calls clearly DID matter in this game. I went to TexAgs and found the thread, and it sure looks like maybe 8-9 of the claimed "missed calls" could have gone against Alabama. Balance that against un-called Holding on at least half or more of aTm's offensive plays, and frequent PI on their DB's that were never called, etc. and I'd say we still got the short end of the stick.

Just as an aside, reading about "undisclosed injuries" and such - (a staple of the Saban era, in case anyone wasn't aware) - but watching the game I could not help but wonder if there was some kind of "Bug" going through the team. Several players looked like they might have been playing with either a fever or flu symptoms. JK Scott in particular just didn't look like he felt well.

You might laugh at such an observation, but anyone who's raised kids has had the experience of looking at one of your kids and knowing (sometimes before they knew themselves) that "something" was wrong. NOT saying its necessarily the case, but we (and my wife especially) have noticed things like this before - specific players and how they were moving, or their posture on the sidelines, that something was wrong, More than once we've found out later that yes, that player was hurt or sick, even thought the coaches didn't disclose it.

Think it can't happen? Well - some may remember back in the 1990's one of Dubose's teams went to play at Arkansas and had an uncharacteristically TERRIBLE showing (even by Dubose standards) - it came out later that many of the players had eaten tainted food at the team meal that Friday night at the hotel. Half the team had spent all day Saturday puking their guts out and barely able to stand up due to food poisoning.

Sounds like a scene out of the movie "Airplane", yet stuff like that really does happen - the same thing can happen with various types of communicable illnesses - like stomach bugs or head colds - people in close proximity (like riding on buses and airplanes together) can quickly spread a bug to many members of the group.

Just throwing it out there as one possibility.........

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

I agree 100%. The amount of complaining on here about the officiating is ridiculous. There were missed calls and no calls on both teams. For example, on what may have been the biggest play in the game (Minka's interception at the goal line), one of our DB's - I think Wallace - bumped into the A&M receiver that Minkah was covering as the receiver was coming across the field. This little bump allowed Minkah to catch up and make the interception. A great play but could have been called a penalty on Bama.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I agree 100%. The amount of complaining on here about the officiating is ridiculous. There were missed calls and no calls on both teams. For example, on what may have been the biggest play in the game (Minka's interception at the goal line), one of our DB's - I think Wallace - bumped into the A&M receiver that Minkah was covering as the receiver was coming across the field. This little bump allowed Minkah to catch up and make the interception. A great play but could have been called a penalty on Bama.
Normally, I agree that too many people complain about the officiating constantly, which is why I don't normally enter threads about officiating. However, I caught myself several times wondering what in the world was going on during that game. Good officiating and bad calls usually equal out, but I felt that the officials had an off night last week. It happens and is part of the game, though. I'm just glad it didn't cost us the game. We got the W and have many things to work on this week. Roll Tide!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm not sure our struggles were as much orchestrated as much as the offensive line simply had a very bad night. It was a reminder to me that our OL still has issues and the last two games were against very inferior opponents. aTm has big time SEC talent. Thank god they don't have Saban.
To their credit Buzzard Texas A&M did come into the game first in sacks in the SEC and third in run defense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Funny. Minkah earlier this week said he backed off the WR in order to bait Mond into throwing the pass.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Funny. Minkah earlier this week said he backed off the WR in order to bait Mond into throwing the pass.
He did, but there was a bump on the receiver which slowed him down. JMO, but if that bump had not happened, that INT never happens and they score a TD on that play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.