No: I am NOT a brown nose! (supporting JessN)

Ballie

Oct 1, 2017
just an old umpire , who calls them as he sees them! I said that, to say this: it was an
unexpected pleasure to read Jess Nicholas' review of the game. he seems to have immense knowledge of the sport: unlike anyone on a previous board!

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Re: No: I am NOT a brown nose!

Indeed, you discovered something we've known for a long as members of this great forum: Jess not only has moxie, he knows how to express it. Hang around here for a while and you'll find that there are many here who are part of college football intelligensia.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The issue I had (and I mostly stayed off the game thread because I'm about 90 seconds behind on Sling) was precisely what JessN said - it wasn't what they DID call, it's what they DID NOT call. There must have been a dozen times an ATM receiver was holding a defender of ours and they got yards when at best they're 2-3 gains or possibly even dead stops.

I kept screaming about it, and I don't usually do that.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
As a former ref myself I totally agree. Unfortunately umpires have bad nights too. It seems the SEC has more than it should. Last night was AWFUL. I gave up on the holding no calls. You can call holding on almost every play but we know what draws the flags (usually). You cannot, CANNOT, run around for 10-15 seconds against an Alabama DL/LB core chasing you, change directions 5 times and NOT hold. They missed some egregious ones!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Yet Andy Britain will come out and talk about what a great job these officials do, how they have to score so highly every week Etc

But what I see on a weekly basis does not at all equal that

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Pretty much everything. Felt like I was reading the post game thread. Team played sloppy, bad ball but the game was never in doubt, despite being on the road, at night, against a good team. Jess made it sound like we should go ahead and buy our tickets to the Citrus Bowl.
I don't think Jess was looking at this game in a vacuum. But rather in context to the entire season. Outside of the last two games our OL and offensive play calling were not very good. It was a reminder (to me at least) that we've played more games where we've had OL issues than not and where the playcalling has been questionable. I don't think he was suggesting the season was over. But let's not get too caught up in the last two games because as last night proved. We've still got areas of concern. Ole Miss utterly sux and Vandy is well, Vandy. I felt his article was a more "let's pump the breaks boys on the ordering the SEC Championship rings".

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
My biggest gripe was Keeping Damian Harris on the sideline. It almost seemed our struggles were orchestrated in order to get our guys focused on what they have to do to get better as a team while keeping ego's in check.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My biggest gripe was Keeping Damian Harris on the sideline. It almost seemed our struggles were orchestrated in order to get our guys focused on what they have to do to get better as a team while keeping ego's in check.
I'm not sure our struggles were as much orchestrated as much as the offensive line simply had a very bad night. It was a reminder to me that our OL still has issues and the last two games were against very inferior opponents. aTm has big time SEC talent. Thank god they don't have Saban.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I'm not sure our struggles were as much orchestrated as much as the offensive line simply had a very bad night. It was a reminder to me that our OL still has issues and the last two games were against very inferior opponents. aTm has big time SEC talent. Thank god they don't have Saban.
As Saban said they were our toughest opponent to date. It just seemed like we played things close to the vest on offense for a reason.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

The issue I had (and I mostly stayed off the game thread because I'm about 90 seconds behind on Sling) was precisely what JessN said - it wasn't what they DID call, it's what they DID NOT call. There must have been a dozen times an ATM receiver was holding a defender of ours and they got yards when at best they're 2-3 gains or possibly even dead stops.

The NO CALLS ON TAMU WERE NOTABLE. IMO we not only had TAMU players on our guys backs, but Officials who seemed blind to their infractions, but they made up for it by watching us like a Hawk. :(

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Jess is not just knowledgeable but is as straight a shooter as they come. He lets you know he has a heart but focuses mainly on logic and hard facts. You'd be hard pressed to find someone better at what he does and we (the fans at TideFans) are fortunate to have him here.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yet Andy Britain will come out and talk about what a great job these officials do, how they have to score so highly every week Etc

But what I see on a weekly basis does not at all equal that
I have no clue how the officials get their grades after hearing Andy on the radio. They have to keep a certain grade (pretty high IIRC) to officiate SEC games, but they continue make poor calls that should cause them to not get those grades.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I have no clue how the officials get their grades after hearing Andy on the radio. They have to keep a certain grade (pretty high IIRC) to officiate SEC games, but they continue make poor calls that should cause them to not get those grades.
I think that is all for show honestly. This is not a professional operation. They're limited by guys who have paid the dues and have availability (late-stage in their full-time job so they can call the shots on their availability at work). These guys are likely the best the SEC or anybody else can get but that doesn't mean they're worth a flip.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You are never as good as you look in a dominant game, nor as bad as you look in a poor effort. So, Alabama isn't good enough to beat everyone by 50. That's a given. But in your poor outings you have beaten 2 very good teams in FSU and aTm handily - as in, neither was in doubt with over 20 minutes of football left to play.

So, what does this mean? Just how good is Alabama? IMO, at least as good as any other team in the country. You may not win it all this year. Who knows? But you have a better chance than most.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

I was working and missed most of the game, but I have heard several people say the same thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.