Refs screwed up (Kentucky mizzou)

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Actually, watch the video. These things happened and can't be argued as referee discretion

1) after runner was tackled inbounds he tossed ball to ref only to have it swatted about 8 yards down field (and clock continues)

2) ref isn't sure where to spot it (clock continues)

3) adjust location of the spot (about 2 yards AFT of where it was spotted by line judge and clock continues).

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/m...kentucky-cost-tigers-precious-seconds-defeat/

It was BAD enough that the SEC office renewed a statement below. I bring it up because quite simply, egregious errors in football officiating need to be met with punishment. Financial or whatever. Seriously. These are multi-million dollar games every week between the schools, national TV, etc. Note I said egregious, cause this and that can always get missed. I'm reminded of the Miami laterals against duke last year as well as the Wyoming vs OSU game, both of which ended with final plays that won the team the game, al because the refs made HUGE mistakes.

I'm sick of excuses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
This was not the SEC's finest week with regard to officiating. I'm still boiling about the refs in the Bama game. But to be fair, I think this is a nationwide problem.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This was not the SEC's finest week with regard to officiating. I'm still boiling about the refs in the Bama game. But to be fair, I think this is a nationwide problem.
That's an even better argument then.

Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio state are valued at $1.5 BILLION each.....each people.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.c.../ohio-state-football-worth-billion-joe-burrow

So let's just say that the remainder of the teams in the FBS can bring the total value to say......$6 billion.

That's a larger amount than some countries GDP. Train the refs better, penalize for flagrant mistakes. I don't want to remove the human element. We've benefited from bad calls too (3rd downwhen Jalen threw from the end zone and it was batted, our Center was holding that guy TO DEATH).

I just expect higher quality than what I'm seeing throughout the sorry over the past few years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saw it in real time and thought it was wrong. The announcers were too busy criticizing Mizzou's time management to acknowledge the officials' mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
There also should have been a delay of game penalty called on Kentucky.
Correct, which would have (A) stopped the clock; (B) added 5 yards in favor of Missouri; (C) meant the clock wouldn’t start until Mizsou snapped the ball. I actually wonder if the rules wouldn’t allow that to be interpreted as unsportsmanlike conduct, thereby converting a 5 yard penalty to a 15 yarder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Was it as bad a mistake as the refs in the FL-LSU game who missed a running back taking three steps out bounds while running down the sideline?
Watch the video, be the judge, let us know. I would say yes, it was as big/bigger mistake.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Correct. The whistle should have been blown and the clock stopped immediately. Kentucky should have been assessed a 5 yard penalty and the clock restarted when the ball was marked ready for play.

This was keystone cop stuff. Steve Shaw is paid a nice chunk to oversee these clowns.

The call that blew me away in the Bama game was the DPI on the pass Mond threw 15 feet over the receiver's head and 20 yards down field. It was clear that this was an option route. The receiver ran a stop route. The QB read a deep route. Even after the consulting, they stuck with the call.

It was like they couldn't admit they were wrong. I'm surprised they admitted it.

Last edited:

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
Correct, which would have (A) stopped the clock; (B) added 5 yards in favor of Missouri; (C) meant the clock wouldn’t start until Mizsou snapped the ball. I actually wonder if the rules wouldn’t allow that to be interpreted as unsportsmanlike conduct, thereby converting a 5 yard penalty to a 15 yarder...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Possibly, but that might be hard to justify on the field. The delay penalty, yes. I wondered about that when it happened, too. I was yelling at the TV...trying to help the officials, of course. My wife though the Bama game had already started!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Well, I've tried to read this thread three different times, but the commercials keep taking over and not allowing me to scroll down the page. Thanks for...crap, it just did it again.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Watch the video, be the judge, let us know. I would say yes, it was as big/bigger mistake.
I'd say that the KY-Mizzou mistake was more impactful, but the FL-LSU flub was more egregious. In the former, everyone's scurrying around. In the latter, they guy clearly takes multiple steps out of bounds with an official looking right at it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The refs missed one, but if the Mizzou wide receiver (who did not have nearly first down yardage when he caught the ball) had not head-faked like he was going to turn up field and had just run with a purpose for the sideline, it would not have mattered.
He caught a 1.5 yard crossing route on 1st and 10, and should have realized he was not going to pick up the first down and headed out of bounds.
Instead, he headed faked that he was going to do something really, really silly (i.e. head up field against two well-placed defenders who were likely to stop him short of the first down), given the down and distance and time remaining and as a result of his really really not-so-smart head fake, did not get out of bounds.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
The refs missed one, but if the Mizzou wide receiver (who did not have nearly first down yardage when he caught the ball) had not head-faked like he was going to turn up field and had just run with a purpose for the sideline, it would not have mattered.
He caught a 1.5 yard crossing route on 1st and 10, and should have realized he was not going to pick up the first down and headed out of bounds.
Instead, he headed faked that he was going to do something really, really silly (i.e. head up field against two well-placed defenders who were likely to stop him short of the first down), given the down and distance and time remaining and as a result of his really really not-so-smart head fake, did not get out of bounds.
Sorry but that's pointless here. This is 100% about refs screwing up as opposed to layers coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sorry but that's pointless here. This is 100% about refs screwing up as opposed to layers coulda, shoulda, woulda.
One doesn't excuse the other, but if the Mizzou player had done the right thing it would not have mattered.

To me this is like a receiver giving up on the catch "knowing" he is going to get the interference call, and being exasperated when he doesn't get that call. You know what, catch the dang ball and do not surrender this to the refs decision-making and it doesn't matter.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
One doesn't excuse the other, but if the Mizzou player had done the right thing it would not have mattered.

To me this is like a receiver giving up on the catch "knowing" he is going to get the interference call, and being exasperated when he doesn't get that call. You know what, catch the dang ball and do not surrender this to the refs decision-making and it doesn't matter.
I'm confused what any of that has to do with a Kentucky player swatting the ball, clock not being stopped, ref putting ball 2-3 yards aft of where the line judge spotted it AFTER he had placed it in a different spot.

In fine with player flops, flips, expectations etc. It's the refs PAID job to see through that and make the right call, much less not screw up the things listed above.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.