NFL Hall of Famer Y.A. Tittle Dead at 90

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
RIP Yelberton.

I did not know until today that he played at LSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidegrandpa

All-American

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
RIP Yelberton.

I did not know until today that he played at LSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That photo and maybe another with him like it, are one or two of the iconic photos in sports history. It was a much different game then. Thanks

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Different in many ways.

That picture was taken when they played the Steelers, which meant almost no one in Pittsburgh saw it. Home games were on radio, only. Plus, the games were played at Pitt Stadium, which probably held mid- to upper-30s, in terms of capacity.

(Which was real dump. It was on top of a hill, and all parking was downhill.)

The Steelers were not a good team, so it probably was not a sellout. No idea if the picture made the newspaper, as I was in the orphanage, in Philly, that year. Pretty sure it was not in the Philly papers, as the Phillies were experiencing a 10-game losing streak, that cost them the pennant! (Got beat up, a lot, in '64. First, for the collapse. Second, for being a supporter of some guy from Arizona.)

Like Forbes Field, Pitt tore it down, for expansion. Along with the neighboring building, the Fieldhouse, where BB was played. (Med School, I think.)

50+ years later, look how much any of those other things also changed.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I remember sitting cross legged in front of the black and white in Anniston pulling for Giants, I don't remember why but I liked Giants instead of big bad Bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFHFI_FUADA
As a 10 year old, also in Anniston, I became a Y.A. Tittle wanna be for that day. I hated DA BEARS who had beaten my hero Bart Starr's team twice inorder to advance to the championship game. Brutal and tough game back then .

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I remember Yelberton Albert quite well. Sidearm delivery and reminded me of a hairless Johnny Unitas with the black high-tops.

RIP, Y.A.
Yeah, he had that 3/4 sidearm delivery and a chrome dome rather than a flat top like Johnny U. Both wore those ugly high top cleats. Only one TV game a week back then on Sunday afternoon, after church and family dinner, times have really changed.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know the name. Obviously, I never saw him play, but he was a name I became familiar with very early in my sports fandom.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I was five when he and Sammy Baugh both retired, so I don't remember actually seeing him play. However three of my dad's favorite QB's all time were Y.A., Slingin' Sammy, and Harry Gilmer. (Unitas could be thrown in there later).

RIP Mr. Tittle.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Unitas was drafted by the Steelers, but some rocket scientist (think it was the HC) thought he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and cut him. He bounced around, a year or so, and eventually the Colts were in need of someone to throw the ball.

The rest is history.

Yeah, the Steelers were the laughing stock of the NFL, for years. They earned it.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I have long teeth so I remember YA Tittle. He had a book with freeze frames in it of him throwing a football. It was how I learned to throw. There weren’t very many teams in those days. Giants, cardinals, Browns, Colts, Packers, Bears, Redakins, Rams, 49er’s, Eagles and maybe a few more. Every kid knew who was QB on every team and we read books about their childhood and careers. AFL was for sissies. Times have sure changed.

RIP Mr Tittle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I'm sure few will remember Y.A. Tittle, I barely remember myself so you gotta be pretty long in the tooth.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/10/09/nfl-hall-famer-y-tittle-dead-at-90.html
I resemble that remark! And yeah, I remember ol' YAT when he played for the 49'ers and then later the Giants. Only saw him on the tube a couple of times prior to his being traded to the Giants, mainly when the team he was on played against the Redskins as those were the games we got in the south back then.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Never saw him play of course but I heard a lot about him growing up. My dad is an LSU fan. He used to talk about Tittle and Cannon a lot. Way different game back then. Very brutal. Sometimes intimidation and pain were more the strategy than the X's and O's.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.