Question: Why do we not have Military Flyovers?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
The flyover was cool, an awesome site actually, but it was so fast if you blinked you missed it

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
It might be a bit much to ask the 187th in Montgomery to keep some F 16's orbiting the stadium and have them buzz Tennessee during a key moment of the game. It would be cool to recreate that Legion Field flyover though.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Yeah, anyone with a brain knows that this stuff is fit into their continuing education (flight hours) that keeps them "combat ready."

Could be, maybe the budgets are stretched and they just are not doing it this late in the year. As much as politicians say they love the military budgets are always being cut. They just may not have the surplus fuel and maintenance money for this stuff. I also imagine this stuff takes a lot of back ground coordination to pull off. Just may not be a priority, maybe shoot a email to Bama and ask. Could be any number of reasons.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Well, there is a dollar cost attached, for starters.
A-10 Warthog: $17,716/hour
F-15C Eagle Fighter: $41,921/hour
F-22A Raptor Fighter: $68,362/hour
B-52 BUF: $69,708/hour
B-2A Spirit: $169,313/hour

I get the "time on target" aspect, but let's just say the mission profile is not the most challenging. Do it at night in a blacked-out country and ring the stadium with SAMs and AAA, and then it would be better training. Calling flying stadiums "training" is like Bama scrimmaging against a Pop Warner team and calling that a good work out.
I'm not saying don't ever do them. If honest research shows that they help recruiting compared to TV ads, or financial recruiting incentives, then fine. Just realize that there is a dollar cost attached.
That is some crazy money for sure, that is more than Saban makes an hour LOL

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's your flyover, courtesy of my video camera.....and the off key singing is my brother, not me.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=pZdAJpMIujw[/video]

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Because the last time they did that they almost hit the construction cranes. :biggrin2:
I was there in the upper deck for this one. I know that it wasn't as low as it seemed but at the time it seemed like we were looking down at it when it flew by. It was the most awesome flyover I have ever been at.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I would really love to see one from inside the plane. I think it would be incredible to look down in to BDS..
I have seen a cockpit view picture of a flyover at another stadium, and the thing that struck me was how effective gray camouflage was at low level. It took me forever to spot the second plane.

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
There was one a few years back at A day, not sure of the year but I was there. They also drove a Nascar on the field and revved up the engine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.