Question: Why do we not have Military Flyovers?

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
It seems that every team we play has a military jet flyover. I really thought the Vandy one was great. Why do we not have flyovers for every home game?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
It seems that every team we play has a military jet flyover. I really thought the Vandy one was great. Why do we not have flyovers for every home game?
Because y'all are a bunch of big dumb dumb heads. The Montgomery wing has some quick movers (fixed wing) and the army's aviation training base is at fort Rucker down south, where every single pilot would be fighting for the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Because as cool as it is it would be an egregious waste of taxpayer dollars?
Pilots are required to have a minimum number of flight hours every month/ quarter/ whatever their time standard is. So it really wouldn't be too hard to get on the phone and ask for at least 1 flyover a season as part of their flight requirement.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I remember a game in the late 80’s or early 90’s where we were playing UCheet in Legion Field. We were playing flat; UCheet had the ball and was driving down the field. In the middle of the drive a pair of F4 phantoms from the ANG made an approach to what was then runway 5 at BHM. The approach to that runway takes you right over Legion Field. They made this approach lower than normal. The noise from those engines fired up the crowed and the team. Our D stopped them cold and we had a new energy for the remainder of the game. It felt like those F4 drivers knew we needed a lift and were happy to provide some air support.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
We've had game since/on 2014 that had the Montgomery guys fly over. And no, there is not a tax payer hit any more than another flight hour. This would be pulled from the time already allotted for training.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, anyone with a brain knows that this stuff is fit into their continuing education (flight hours) that keeps them "combat ready."

I'm guessing that Alabama just hasn't been so lucky to have anyone around here needing flight hours and wanting to make a flyover Bryant-Denny Stadium.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I remember a game in the late 80’s or early 90’s where we were playing UCheet in Legion Field. We were playing flat; UCheet had the ball and was driving down the field. In the middle of the drive a pair of F4 phantoms from the ANG made an approach to what was then runway 5 at BHM. The approach to that runway takes you right over Legion Field. They made this approach lower than normal. The noise from those engines fired up the crowed and the team. Our D stopped them cold and we had a new energy for the remainder of the game. It felt like those F4 drivers knew we needed a lift and were happy to provide some air support.
I think I know how this went down:

"Tower, this is War Chief on final approach, over"

"Roger War Chief. We need you to decrease altitude to 500ft. Smokey's driving and we need to scare the heck out of 'em! Over."

"Roll Tide! War Chief Out"

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Because as cool as it is it would be an egregious waste of taxpayer dollars?
YES you know what it costs per hour to fly a fighter jet?? For 3 seconds of cool???? Waste of time and money, it is cool but what purpose does it really serve? Not to mention time and effort to coordinate it all. Football is about football, air shows are for planes, just my tax paying opinion.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
It’s actually the last time I saw them too. I don’t go to shows down here anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Do they still have the practice shows open to the public? I went to one a few years ago while on vacation at Orange Beach. It was on a Tuesday morning very early but well worth the early rise.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
YES you know what it costs per hour to fly a fighter jet?? For 3 seconds of cool???? Waste of time and money, it is cool but what purpose does it really serve? Not to mention time and effort to coordinate it all. Football is about football, air shows are for planes, just my tax paying opinion.
If I didn't know better I'd say the same thing. But I do, so allow me to help you understand the value and how it literally changes nothing regarding your tax dollars.

1) The guys flying this are going to have to plan the route for travel from base, timing so that they appear over the stadium at the key moment, and fuel. All of that is directly related to the training conducted for any "time on target" missions aka being at an exact point in space at an exact time, usually plus or minus 30 seconds. Think it's easy, drive to your local store and arrive at an exact minute and second that you planned. Tell me how it works out.

2) Your tax payer money (ours too cause don't forget, the military is paying taxes as well). That money for flying was allocated a year ago. Now it's up to the unit on how to spend it. Let the guys go fly the pattern? Straight and level at 3000 feet, or maybe coordinate with entry and exit of several different airspace, coordinate with the FAA to create a ROZ, etc. Again, valuable training being used for something that is already paid for. They will fly that time either way, it just depends on how it's utilized.

3) Recruiting. The military (namely Air force and army) are at record lows regarding military pilots and losing the battle of attrition to the commercial aviation side. If you don't think that all it takes is a good memory of a football game and a flyover to be enough to motivate a kid to chase the dream of becoming a combat pilot then you're a silly goose.

And finally, it looks cool. Yup. It looks really cool.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.