Boy Scouts Matters...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've zero issue with standing on principle - if there is demand another organization will fill the vacuum left by the various missteps the BSA made that brought them to this point.
Neither do I, and I do not agree with the inclusion of girls, but the post that I responded to reminds me of one of my kids about 10 years ago. Andrew didn't want to follow the rules about play in the pool area, so he proclaims, "Fine, then I'm not swimming!". I smiled and told him that it was his choice, refusing to escalate the issue. I later explained to him that he was not punishing me by choosing not to swim - he was punishing himself.

BSA had a lot of problems, but the inclusion of girls was an attempt to save a failing organization. They were doomed long before they tried this.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I know 3 or 4 friends who pulled their kids out when they started allowing in girls...just on principal....they didn't even have any girls in their troop.

I am blessed with only girls, and I grew up in the country, so camping and hiking was just part on life, not a scheduled event. I was never involved with scouts.

I am not educated to the ins and outs of what went into the decision to allow girls in, but I did think at the time it was a bad idea. I imagine there were a lot more like my buddies who decided to drop scouting all together.
I’m active in the Cub Scouts with my son. We’ve received a lot on correspondence on this. The reason has to do with money and declining numbers especially with the Mormon church pulling their support of the BSA. Not so much political correctness.,

Reactions: 92tide and B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I’m active in the Cub Scouts with my son. We’ve received a lot on correspondence on this. The reason has to do with money and declining numbers especially with the Mormon church pulling their support of the BSA. Not so much political correctness.,
One of the primary drivers of the LDS withdrawal was the BSA's move to allow openly gay troop leaders. Once the LDS withdrew (which accounted for some 20% of the BSA membership) it was all about saving the sinking ship.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One of the primary drivers of the LDS withdrawal was the BSA's move to allow openly gay troop leaders. Once the LDS withdrew (which accounted for some 20% of the BSA membership) it was all about saving the sinking ship.
Yep - But when they did that, they were right. It was time to end the bigotry as many scouts were gay before that. The number of homosexuals in the scouts did not increase after that.

The Mormons did what they felt they had to do. The BSA could have survived that alone, but it was just one in a string of things that cost them membership - the changing times being the biggest one.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It never made much sense to me because, well, there is also a Girl Scouts. Why do the girls need to be in Boy Scouts when they can join Girl Scouts.

I don't know enough about either organization (never been involved) so, maybe Boy Scouts was more fun and some girls don't want to sell cookies. IDK
As a father whose daughter is in Scouts BSA, the second part of your statement above is basically the sentiment my daughter had regarding the two.

In elementary school, representatives from both the Girl Scouts and the Boy Scouts came to give a presentation as part of the after school program offerings at the school. To paraphrase my daughter (who was in 5th grade at the time), "The Girl Scouts do crafts and sell cookies. I want to go camping and hiking and do outdoor stuff like the Boy Scouts."

We were fortunate that an all girls troop that included folks we knew was just getting off the ground near us, so we joined. My guess is that the experience between the two organizations hinges largely on who is running the local troops. The Girl Scout troops around us are run primarily by moms who aren't as interested in doing the outdoor activities. The BSA organizations focus much more heavily on those activities, which was more appealing to my daughter.

While they share a similar name (Scouts) what each group focuses on is different.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.