BamaNation First Team Wilson Monroe's Avatar

Re: Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post

You sound triggered
    ....ed off. Extremely.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    I swam at the Y this morning while being neither Young or Christian. I think they'll be ok.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Monroe View Post
    Because offering a path to Eagle outside of the framework of the Boy Scouts will necessarily change how the requirements are met because they are separate programs. Those programs will not adopt the framework of the Boy Scouts and that will change the requirements, particularly their rigor. The Explorers program is an all playtime joke and now an Explorer will have a path to Eagle so we can include all genders? Blasphemy.

If you haven't done it, then you don't know. It's a slap in the face.
    That's a mental leap you are making. There is no guarantee that the program requirements will change. That's not been stated anywhere. In the spirit of mutual agreement I will concede that it WOULD cheapen IF they were to make it easier for girls to become Eagle Scouts than their male counterparts.

Let me ask you this hypothetical. If the girls had to do the EXACT same tasks as the boys in order to earn that status, would it bother you? They aren't making boys and girls learn together - they have to be in separate dens, so boys are losing nothing, they can still have camaraderie with other boys and strive together, it's now girls don't have to strive ONLY for selling the most cookies.

I would urge you NOT to use the "If you haven't done it, then you don't know." argument. It's currently being employed by many minorities who feel marginalized against white people as a way to shut them up. Other people can have legitimate opinions on the issue - though of course yours certainly carries weight since you HAVE been through the process. But I would also say that perhaps your proximity to the issue may not allow you to be completely unbiased or objective about all this. Not saying that's a fact, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Does this mean my grandson can learn quilting and sell cookies? I could use more Thin Mints.

BamaNation First Team Wilson Monroe's Avatar

I'm shutting it down for the day. I know if I try to talk about this any more then the profanity filter is going to get worked overtime. Y'all have fun.

interestingly enough, a big part of the foundation of my thoughts on inclusivity and diversity came from my time in the scouts.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    interestingly enough, a big part of the foundation of my thoughts on inclusivity and diversity came from my time in the scouts.
    I retroactively denounce everything I said as you have now made it abundantly clear that this IS just an attempt to turn my unborn children gay.
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Don't the Brownies teach their members how to start a fire....survival skills in the woods?

BamaNation Hall of Fame RammerJammer14's Avatar

This is nothing more than Corporate BSA trying to increase numbers and seeing a way to poach from GSA. Wouldn't surprise me is GSA tried to sue or something.

I don't like it either. Today it is just cub scouts so that families can all participate in the same events. But I can easily see their idea of "separate" boys and girls troops quickly vaporizing and Boy Scouts being completely co-ed within a few years.

I did Scouts from Cub all the way through Boy Scouts. I never made Eagle because I was a rebel without a cause and didn't want no stinkin "goodie toe shoes" award. What I really enjoyed though was the outdoors and medical skills I learned and playing stupid games running wild in the woods on camping trips. It also certainly taught me some leadership traits and how to plan ahead, begrudgingly. I enjoyed doing all this on my own, away from my family for a weekend. Just me and my friends talking smack and girls and burning stuff and hoping for the off-chance that some hiker fell down a crevice and I would have a chance to use a bowline knot appropriately, while a handful of dads sat around a campfire and ignored all of us.

Once they introduce girls into all this, all these dynamics will change. Boy Scouts will quickly turn into a family camping trip with your little sister joining and your mom volunteering to be a scout master. It will no longer be a chance to escape and do adventurous, largely unsupervised things with your friends. Boys will be trying to impress the girls, and the super awkward guys hitting puberty won't have a place to just be themselves.

Boy Scouts truly is the last organization dedicated solely to boys. It will be sad to see it disappear.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation All-American

I was a Cub Scout but quit pretty quickly because it wasn't for me. I love the outdoors (spent 3 months hiking and rafting in India) but the culture of it just wasn't a good fit for me.

So, I don't really know a whole lot about Boy Scouts or the standards. Can someone explain to me what kind of standards there are for becoming an Eagle Scout? Are there physical fitness type tests you need to pass or is it only/mostly survival skills and such? Sorry for my ignorance here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    Boy Scouts truly is the last organization dedicated solely to boys.(
    There's always NAMBLA.

(original joke was Catholic Church but after seeing The Keepers I know it's not true)

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Monroe View Post
    I'm shutting it down for the day. I know if I try to talk about this any more then the profanity filter is going to get worked overtime. Y'all have fun.
    Poor baby. It'll be okay.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    That's actually true - if feminism has an upside (it rarely does) then this would be it. I know you meant it sarcastically but I really don't understand why this is a big deal to Conservatives. No rights or liberties are being infringed on - the government isn't restricting anyone's freedom, it's just that a lot of girls would rather go camping instead of learning how to sew.

Inclusiveness isn't ALWAYS a Leftist conspiracy to turn your kids gay, (but sometimes it is) sometimes it's just courteous to let girls learn how to pitch a tent.
    I get it. I truly do, However, what was or is the point of Girl Scouts then? Their leadership wasnít good enough? Being equal doesnít mean you have to be the same. Itís all good though I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro