Boy Scouts Matters...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This is nothing more than Corporate BSA trying to increase numbers and seeing a way to poach from GSA. Wouldn't surprise me is GSA tried to sue or something.

I don't like it either. Today it is just cub scouts so that families can all participate in the same events. But I can easily see their idea of "separate" boys and girls troops quickly vaporizing and Boy Scouts being completely co-ed within a few years.

I did Scouts from Cub all the way through Boy Scouts. I never made Eagle because I was a rebel without a cause and didn't want no stinkin "goodie toe shoes" award. What I really enjoyed though was the outdoors and medical skills I learned and playing stupid games running wild in the woods on camping trips. It also certainly taught me some leadership traits and how to plan ahead, begrudgingly. I enjoyed doing all this on my own, away from my family for a weekend. Just me and my friends talking smack and girls and burning stuff and hoping for the off-chance that some hiker fell down a crevice and I would have a chance to use a bowline knot appropriately, while a handful of dads sat around a campfire and ignored all of us.

Once they introduce girls into all this, all these dynamics will change. Boy Scouts will quickly turn into a family camping trip with your little sister joining and your mom volunteering to be a scout master. It will no longer be a chance to escape and do adventurous, largely unsupervised things with your friends. Boys will be trying to impress the girls, and the super awkward guys hitting puberty won't have a place to just be themselves.

Boy Scouts truly is the last organization dedicated solely to boys. It will be sad to see it disappear. :(

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I was a Cub Scout but quit pretty quickly because it wasn't for me. I love the outdoors (spent 3 months hiking and rafting in India) but the culture of it just wasn't a good fit for me.

So, I don't really know a whole lot about Boy Scouts or the standards. Can someone explain to me what kind of standards there are for becoming an Eagle Scout? Are there physical fitness type tests you need to pass or is it only/mostly survival skills and such? Sorry for my ignorance here.

That's actually true - if feminism has an upside (it rarely does) then this would be it. I know you meant it sarcastically but I really don't understand why this is a big deal to Conservatives. No rights or liberties are being infringed on - the government isn't restricting anyone's freedom, it's just that a lot of girls would rather go camping instead of learning how to sew.

Inclusiveness isn't ALWAYS a Leftist conspiracy to turn your kids gay, (but sometimes it is) sometimes it's just courteous to let girls learn how to pitch a tent.
I get it. I truly do, However, what was or is the point of Girl Scouts then? Their leadership wasn’t good enough? Being equal doesn’t mean you have to be the same. It’s all good though I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I was a Cub Scout but quit pretty quickly because it wasn't for me. I love the outdoors (spent 3 months hiking and rafting in India) but the culture of it just wasn't a good fit for me.

So, I don't really know a whole lot about Boy Scouts or the standards. Can someone explain to me what kind of standards there are for becoming an Eagle Scout? Are there physical fitness type tests you need to pass or is it only/mostly survival skills and such? Sorry for my ignorance here.
There is nothing physical about it. Unless you chose to do some physical fitness Merit Badges. There are certain Merit Badge requirements including civics, then additional requirements and a kind of "time in grade & leadership positions" that culminate with a service project that the scout plans and resources himself. Something like build a deck for the local community center. This is obviously on top of achieving the requirements of every other rank up to that point. Wilson is concerned that they will bypass many of these prior requirements. Basically same reward, less sweat.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

there is some physical fitness/skill aspect, but it's not incredibly rigorous. i knew some very out of shape guys and some let's say not so on the macho end of the scale wrt to physicality guys who got eagle. what it does take is tenacity and drive.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
As a former boy scout, im kinda okay with it as long as the requirements aren't lessened for girls. On the other hand, I'm not sure why they don't form an alliance with the girl scouts and let them handle it...unless of course its a money driven decision.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

As a former boy scout, im kinda okay with it as long as the requirements aren't lessened for girls. On the other hand, I'm not sure why they don't form an alliance with the girl scouts and let them handle it...unless of course its a money driven decision.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I was ok with women being Army Rangers.

Until they couldn’t reach the standard set and they watered the standard down on behalf of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I went through BSA to the Life Scout rank and my older daughter went through GSA. However, seeing what they did in GSA, I started taking the older girl backpacking when she was 11 - hard trips, heavy loads. She became a raft guide until she settled down into a professional field. She learned essentially many of the things she would have learned in the BSA. I started the younger one even earlier - around 9. I had learned that girls lose interest in doing stuff with dad around puberty time. As long as they keep the standards the same, I don't have a problem with it...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
My son joined the cub scouts this year. We had a large group of Tigers (his age join) with 13. This is rare as most of the other dens are 2-3 kids each. The numbers for the BSA are declining and Increasing numbers is why I think this is one (of several) reasons why they’re admitting girls. Another is convenience for families. I have no problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
interestingly enough, a big part of the foundation of my thoughts on inclusivity and diversity came from my time in the scouts.
Interesting that a religious, single-sex organization could instill such thoughts in you. Such an organization must be all right after all.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My rhetorical question this morning was that I already thought we had something called the Girl Scouts, and while I wasn't particularly well-versed in the particulars of that, I knew it was different.

I guess the part I'm not getting is, "Why can't you still just have the Girl Scouts and make it more like the Boy Scouts?"

I'm an Eagle Scout who, in 2009, got a call wanting to put my biography in a national book thing for the 100th anniversary of Scouting (I believe that was in 2010).

I told them to take my name off any lists they had and don't ever call me again - and they never have.

I'm not sure I should say much else - I don't overly care, I'm just confused as to why this somehow mandates 'girls in the boy scouts.'

My thoughts are that Scouting has become a relic of a bygone era like such insanities as Tops in Blue (in the **) and other community things that existed before TV (first) and then the phone turned us all into stationary idiots.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
interestingly enough, a big part of the foundation of my thoughts on inclusivity and diversity came from my time in the scouts.
I'm not sure how that's possible since everyone had to wear the same green uniform and stand for the National Anthem and pray to the white, Christian God of Newt Gingrich

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I guess the part I'm not getting is, "Why can't you still just have the Girl Scouts and make it more like the Boy Scouts?"
I'm sure they could but I don't think the desire is there when their main goal is to help create future multi level marketing customers & have the girls rake in dough for dough.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.