Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RammerJammer14's Avatar

Re: Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I was a Cub Scout but quit pretty quickly because it wasn't for me. I love the outdoors (spent 3 months hiking and rafting in India) but the culture of it just wasn't a good fit for me.

So, I don't really know a whole lot about Boy Scouts or the standards. Can someone explain to me what kind of standards there are for becoming an Eagle Scout? Are there physical fitness type tests you need to pass or is it only/mostly survival skills and such? Sorry for my ignorance here.
    There is nothing physical about it. Unless you chose to do some physical fitness Merit Badges. There are certain Merit Badge requirements including civics, then additional requirements and a kind of "time in grade & leadership positions" that culminate with a service project that the scout plans and resources himself. Something like build a deck for the local community center. This is obviously on top of achieving the requirements of every other rank up to that point. Wilson is concerned that they will bypass many of these prior requirements. Basically same reward, less sweat.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I was a Cub Scout but quit pretty quickly because it wasn't for me. I love the outdoors (spent 3 months hiking and rafting in India) but the culture of it just wasn't a good fit for me.

So, I don't really know a whole lot about Boy Scouts or the standards. Can someone explain to me what kind of standards there are for becoming an Eagle Scout? Are there physical fitness type tests you need to pass or is it only/mostly survival skills and such? Sorry for my ignorance here.
    there is some physical fitness/skill aspect, but it's not incredibly rigorous. i knew some very out of shape guys and some let's say not so on the macho end of the scale wrt to physicality guys who got eagle. what it does take is tenacity and drive.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation First Team superbamashane's Avatar

As a former boy scout, im kinda okay with it as long as the requirements aren't lessened for girls. On the other hand, I'm not sure why they don't form an alliance with the girl scouts and let them handle it...unless of course its a money driven decision.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    If winning was easy, Auburn could do it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls

Quote Originally Posted by superbamashane2 View Post
    As a former boy scout, im kinda okay with it as long as the requirements aren't lessened for girls. On the other hand, I'm not sure why they don't form an alliance with the girl scouts and let them handle it...unless of course its a money driven decision.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    I was ok with women being Army Rangers.

Until they couldn’t reach the standard set and they watered the standard down on behalf of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went through BSA to the Life Scout rank and my older daughter went through GSA. However, seeing what they did in GSA, I started taking the older girl backpacking when she was 11 - hard trips, heavy loads. She became a raft guide until she settled down into a professional field. She learned essentially many of the things she would have learned in the BSA. I started the younger one even earlier - around 9. I had learned that girls lose interest in doing stuff with dad around puberty time. As long as they keep the standards the same, I don't have a problem with it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls

My son joined the cub scouts this year. We had a large group of Tigers (his age join) with 13. This is rare as most of the other dens are 2-3 kids each. The numbers for the BSA are declining and Increasing numbers is why I think this is one (of several) reasons why they’re admitting girls. Another is convenience for families. I have no problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, Marsha seemed to do pretty well in the scouts.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    I swam at the Y this morning while being neither Young or Christian. I think they'll be ok.
    If membership were robust, they wouldn't be admitting girls. This is a last ditch effort to save an organization that has ultimately betrayed its mission and values.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    interestingly enough, a big part of the foundation of my thoughts on inclusivity and diversity came from my time in the scouts.
    Interesting that a religious, single-sex organization could instill such thoughts in you. Such an organization must be all right after all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    I swam at the Y this morning while being neither Young or Christian. I think they'll be ok.
    Or a man
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

My rhetorical question this morning was that I already thought we had something called the Girl Scouts, and while I wasn't particularly well-versed in the particulars of that, I knew it was different.

I guess the part I'm not getting is, "Why can't you still just have the Girl Scouts and make it more like the Boy Scouts?"

I'm an Eagle Scout who, in 2009, got a call wanting to put my biography in a national book thing for the 100th anniversary of Scouting (I believe that was in 2010).

I told them to take my name off any lists they had and don't ever call me again - and they never have.

I'm not sure I should say much else - I don't overly care, I'm just confused as to why this somehow mandates 'girls in the boy scouts.'

My thoughts are that Scouting has become a relic of a bygone era like such insanities as Tops in Blue (in the AF) and other community things that existed before TV (first) and then the phone turned us all into stationary idiots.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    interestingly enough, a big part of the foundation of my thoughts on inclusivity and diversity came from my time in the scouts.
    I'm not sure how that's possible since everyone had to wear the same green uniform and stand for the National Anthem and pray to the white, Christian God of Newt Gingrich