Boy Scouts Matters...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just avoid raping children and you don’t have this problem to begin with. Sick individuals. Even worse are those who covered it up.
Pedos were a large part of the collapse, but there were other issues as well.

BSA lost their way a long time ago and have spent a long time trying to figure out what went wrong.

Reactions: B1GTide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Pedos were a large part of the collapse, but there were other issues as well.

BSA lost their way a long time ago and have spent a long time trying to figure out what went wrong.
If they required all leaders at the local level, i.e., in regular contact with the boys, to be parents of participating boys, then this problem would most likely never had happened.

Most churches today do screening of all children and youth volunteers --- as well as extensive training. The last thing any pastor wants is to have to deal with this issue. I had one that happened 10 years before my watch and I still had to deal with the fall out...not to mention the pain of those involved.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If they required all leaders at the local level, i.e., in regular contact with the boys, to be parents of participating boys, then this problem would most likely never had happened.

Most churches today do screening of all children and youth volunteers --- as well as extensive training. The last thing any pastor wants is to have to deal with this issue. I had one that happened 10 years before my watch and I still had to deal with the fall out...not to mention the pain of those involved.
Back when most of this was happening, scout leaders were not even thinking about it. Scout leaders were either current parents, or parents of kids who had already moved through the program. They were trusted within their communities.

Only in the last few decades have we come to understand pedophiles, and how they hide among us.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Back when most of this was happening, scout leaders were not even thinking about it. Scout leaders were either current parents, or parents of kids who had already moved through the program. They were trusted within their communities.

Only in the last few decades have we come to understand pedophiles, and how they hide among us.
I was thinking of the scout leaders who were not parents of participants, but seemed to be there to volunteer for every thing. And yes, they hid well...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was thinking of the scout leaders who were not parents of participants, but seemed to be there to volunteer for every thing. And yes, they hid well...
My boys' troop had a scout master who had no children in the program, past or present, which is why my wife or I went to everything with my boys. We did not drop them off and leave once in all those years. I did not trust him with my boys and questioned (only to my wife) why a man in his 50s would be so involved. My wife was less concerned since she knew his wife well, but she went along with my requirement because she did not want to have to blame herself if she was wrong.

Now, this guy is awesome, and we have not heard of any issues with him, but my boys are my responsibility and I was just not taking the chance.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How has the Girl Scouts avoided an abuse scandal? As we are all aware, pedophiles go after boys and girls so, what has the Girl Scouts done differently to keep this out of their organization? Or has it just not come to light yet?
Pedophiles are almost all men. Sex offenders are almost all men. Parents do not leave their little girls alone with strange men. 🤷‍♂️

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
doesn't have to be a strange man, I have an ex relative serving 10 years for what he did to girls in our family and others

be wary of all men with access to your children
Agreed - The point - boy scouts are managed by men, girl scouts by women.

Reactions: Padreruf

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was in Boy Scouts for about three years as a kid. I didn’t really like it, but that’s another story. This was in the early 1980s

The Scoutmaster was married with no kids. He had been an Eagle Scout so I guess this was his way of staying involved. I didn’t particularly like him, but I never suspected he was a pervert. The assistant was a man with three boys in the program. I liked him and don’t suspect him of anything.

There was another troop in town led by a guy who had been with the troop forever and was something of a legend. He was also a schoolteacher. (I think sixth grade) My mom told me once she had heard a rumor about him. But that was the only time I heard anything like that. We had some crossover events but he never made a move on me.

He also had two kids. One was a boy a year older than me and a girl my age. The boy was always a little weird and the girl I suspect did drugs.

I am friends on Facebook with both. He is very active but she never posts. He is now 53 or 54 and never been married. (He has stated he isn’t gay). He is also a major drama queen about everything in his life. He was the sole caregiver for his father until the father’s death about a year ago from dementia. He was always complaining about his father’s behavior. There seemed to be some underlying issues with his father that he has never directly addressed on Facebook. He also said his sister (who appears to be a lesbian) had no relationship with him or their father. The mother (who was a very nice lady) died several years ago.

When the father died, the son seemed very devastated. But he had no funeral or memorial service and I never found an obituary on line.

So a guy who was very involved with young boys raised a couple of screwed up kids. I suspect the rumors my mother heard may have been accurate.

Does someone have a link to the BSA creepy list mentioned earlier? I have a couple names I want to check.

Edit...I found the list. https://myfox8.com/2019/04/25/searc...y-scouts-leaders-accused-of-sexual-abuse/amp/

My former Scoutmasters and the person I mentioned in my story are not on the list.

Last edited:
  • Thank You

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pedophiles are almost all men. Sex offenders are almost all men. Parents do not leave their little girls alone with strange men. 🤷‍♂️
I have to quibble a bit about that. In this news coverage area, I'd say that there's an incident involving a female school teacher with underage boys every couple of months. I think it's safe to say that it's probably a tip of an iceberg. IOW, it wouldn't make sense to presume that every single perp gets caught. Certainly I would grant that there are many more male predators...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Sorry to see things deteriorate like this - to what was once such a fine institution.

Both my two brothers and I were in scouts. Started as Cub scouts and just kept going. This was in Norfolk back in the 60's. Those camping trips were pretty epic! Virginia has a some great places to camp.

I only went as far as First Class. My oldest brother went as far as Life. Can't remember how far the other brother went. We never heard or saw any incidents like some of those discussed here (pedophilia).

I still have my boy scout manual too. Some great info in there.

BazAndStingray.jpg

Reactions: Go Bama

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
That's literally part of it.
I know 3 or 4 friends who pulled their kids out when they started allowing in girls...just on principal....they didn't even have any girls in their troop.

I am blessed with only girls, and I grew up in the country, so camping and hiking was just part of life, not a scheduled event. I was never involved with scouts.

I am not educated to the ins and outs of what went into the decision to allow girls in, but I did think at the time it was a bad idea. I imagine there were a lot more like my buddies who decided to drop scouting all together.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It never made much sense to me because, well, there is also a Girl Scouts. Why do the girls need to be in Boy Scouts when they can join Girl Scouts.

I don't know enough about either organization (never been involved) so, maybe Boy Scouts was more fun and some girls don't want to sell cookies. IDK

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.