Boy Scouts Matters...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We had a few also. Openly. It really didn't matter, unless they were unable to do something that the other boys were able to do. They got some ribbing then that included their orientation as part of the joke. Oh, but let one of them outdo all the rest of us at something! Then it was because of their orientation. We all had fun and no one got too bent out of shape.

The problem Scouting had was when homosexual men wanted to be troop leaders. Different ballgame then. Folks got up in arms about that, not really the kids.
the question is, could they effectively hunt snipe

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
the question is, could they effectively hunt snipe
I don't recall anyone's level of snipe hunting acumen. :biggrin: save one...

I remember one kid got lost snipe hunting at Camp Westmorland at night. This was back when it had fallen into terrible disrepair, so the "trails" weren't really trails anymore. It took maybe 3 hours to locate him. When we found him he was fine, but he was so mad. There were several fights that broke out on the way back to camp.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I stumbled onto Trail Life USA. It's billed as the Conservative Christian answer to Boy Scouts. I'm not sure that I want my kid going to it since they are pretty adamant about who they will not take, if you get my drift. Anyone ever hear much about them?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd still like to do a trip like that one day. I tried to scratch the itch once, sailing around Charleston Harbor one afternoon. Was pretty cool, but hardly the same.

Alternatively I've tried to convince someone to do a multi-day river trip with me down to the ocean. Kind of a "Lewis and Clark" thing. No takers so far. Wusses.
Need to get dayhiker involved here. He takes annual bareboat charters in the islands with his family...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I think I can talk about this more clearly now that the anger has settled and I talked last night with some of the fellas from my old troop that also earned their Eagle.

Some of those guys just don't care anymore. Those that don't care have seen Scouting become more aligned with Girl Scouts in being a tax-free popcorn corporation with child labor, just like the Girl Scouts are with the cookies. Those that feel this way wrote them off a long time ago.

A couple of the guys were super angry like me. We were the ones that were looking forward to our boys going through it also, but had not been as involved and didn't understand that it went from constant activity and support from the corporate office to supporting the corporate office through fundraising constantly. I heard that there are some good troops out there still, but that they are kinda difficult to find and you are going to be pressured to constantly fundraise.

We all agreed that earning that rank used to mean something and that one day people will ask each other whether their Eagle was earned back when it meant something or not. My anger quickly turned to sadness that something which means so much to me, much more than my degrees, was no longer something of significant value because of the corrupt corporate office and failing standards. It's left me grieving and I now understand why those old guys when I was a kid told me about the good old days. They got to see things degrade over time that meant the world to them, just like I have with this.
My boys are in a pretty good troop. Oldest is Life. Youngest is Star.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
i may have to buy some of that scouts bsa popcorn
A friend of mine posted the story on Facebook. The reactions were as you might expect, but this one just took the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My 2 brothers and I were in Scouts back in the 60's.

We all started off as Cub Scouts and graduated to Boy Scouts.

My oldest brother made it to Life and my other brother and I to 1st Class.

Those camping trips were a blast!

We had a great troop up in Virginia and then when we moved to Florida, the local troop down here wasn't that great and we just kinda lost interest.

I still have some of my "Boy's Life" magazines. And my handbook. I was just looking at it the other day in fact when I was re-organizing some books of mine. I have my Dad's Sea Scout manual as well.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
my troop was expelled from the boy scouts for a very fun weekend in a place we've all been banned from for life. After that we just kinda went indy version and CoEd. Those of y'all that want the old school rules have no idea how fun Coed scouting can be

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Boy Scouts having to change their name and admit females, while the Girl Scouts remain all female is just the perfect example of modern life

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm an Eagle Scout who left and never looked back and don't really give a damn. I took a phone call back in 2009 because they were putting something together for the 100th anniversary of Boy Scouts. I told them to take my name off of whatever and never contact me again. Unlike the "you can get a warranty on your car" folks, they actually listened.

One thing I'd point out - without even getting into the boy/girl stuff - is that like so many things the world that created Scouting doesn't exist most places anymore. We are far less rural than we used to be. The skills were more practical and used more on a daily basis 100, 50, even 30 years ago.

Now you can't get anyone to look up from their phones to do anything anyway........as I type this on my phone......

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm an Eagle Scout who left and never looked back and don't really give a damn. I took a phone call back in 2009 because they were putting something together for the 100th anniversary of Boy Scouts. I told them to take my name off of whatever and never contact me again. Unlike the "you can get a warranty on your car" folks, they actually listened.

One thing I'd point out - without even getting into the boy/girl stuff - is that like so many things the world that created Scouting doesn't exist most places anymore. We are far less rural than we used to be. The skills were more practical and used more on a daily basis 100, 50, even 30 years ago.

Now you can't get anyone to look up from their phones to do anything anyway........as I type this on my phone......
If you don't mind me asking, why did you sever your ties with them?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Our Cub Scout pack is going the “family scouting” path in the fall. Idk if we will get a response to it or not in our small community. When I first read the article about this on Scouting Wire a while back, it was clear to me this was about one thing- boosting declining numbers & not so much a PC move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.