Boy Scouts Matters...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls, Allow Them to Earn Eagle Scout Rank

[FONT=&quot]Starting next year, young girls can join Cub Scout units, known as dens. Local scouting organizations can choose to have dens for girls and dens for boys. "Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls," the organization said in a statement.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A separate program for older girls will be available in 2019, the Boy Scouts said, enabling them to earn the rank of Eagle Scout.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Boy Scouts said the moves reflect the changing nature of American life, adding to the appeal of a scouting program that can serve the entire family.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BSA said it commissioned two nationwide surveys that showed parents not involved in scouting had high interest in getting their daughters signed up for both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Before anyone gets their undies in a bunch, it really just sounds like they are becoming "The Scouts" - it seems to be about allowing girls the ability to learn some of the same skills and enjoy some of the same activities as the boys - which I'm totally fine with.

If my daughter wanted to know how to build a fire instead of make a quilt, I'd be all for it.

The Cub troops will still be separated by boys and girls but the girls will be learning from the same curriculum as the boys.

I admit, when I first clicked on the thread I thought it might be a story geared toward the trans or LGB community, but it's really just about making a way for girls who aren't interested in selling cookies to learn about the great outdoors and the wilderness- which I think is great.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
[FONT=&quot]Starting next year, young girls can join Cub Scout units, known as dens. Local scouting organizations can choose to have dens for girls and dens for boys. "Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls," the organization said in a statement.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Girls are now part of four scouting programs — [/FONT]Venturing [FONT=&quot]and [/FONT]Sea Scouting[FONT=&quot], geared toward outdoor activities; [/FONT]Exploring[FONT=&quot], a career-oriented mentoring program; and STEM, focusing on science and math. But those programs have not offered a path to Eagle Scout for girls.[/FONT]
I just think they should change the name to "The Scouts" or something. The program has always been about more than just "Boys" - it's not a frat club or anything. The skills taught to these young people are interesting to both genders, so I don't see the problem with it.

Speaking of which, did anyone here go to or have a child participate in anything like "Royal Rangers" or "Missionettes"? It was like a church based version of the Boys Scouts and Girl Scouts. There were always girls who wanted to learn some of the stuff we were doing. Most of the guys thought it was cool and didn't mind inviting them over to learn how to tie a bowline or start a fire using only available lighter, or the proper way to sharpen a knife. We didn't think they were weird or anything - we thought it was cool stuff to learn about so we just thought the girls were being normal humans.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I swam at the Y this morning while being neither Young or Christian. I think they'll be ok.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yea sorry, I should have posted an explanation for what this was. Something came up as I was posting it so I was in a hurry and just didn't bother. Thanks Intl.Aperture for clarifying it all.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yea sorry, I should have posted an explanation for what this was. Something came up as I was posting it so I was in a hurry and just didn't bother. Thanks Intl.Aperture for clarifying it all.
No problem. You can always take the quotes I pulled and use them to edit your original post if need be. The title may pre-trigger some people, even though it's literally doing what it says.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I worked very hard to attain the Eagle Scout rank. If you haven't made it all the way through you have no idea the amount of work, toughness, and perseverance it takes. No one does it on their own and you learn to work within the framework provided with the other young men that continually fall to the wayside while they make any excuse for their shortcomings and oftentimes try to pull you down with them. No substitution for the full amount of work is abided. This action cheapens the effort that myself and the few like me put into it for a true honor of distinction.

I am deeply disappointed in the Scouting Organization for caving to the pressure of outside forces that no longer allow men to have anything of their very own. Certainly not anything of any value. The bonds of fraternity have been broken by allowing the weak to lead and the strong to be cast aside by the wailing multitude of the common.

Shameful that this is the example of leadership that this generation is now fooled into believing is just.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I worked very hard to attain the Eagle Scout rank. If you haven't made it all the way through you have no idea the amount of work, toughness, and perseverance it takes. No one does it on their own and you learn to work within the framework provided with the other young men that continually fall to the wayside while they make any excuse for their shortcomings and oftentimes try to pull you down with them. No substitution for the full amount of work is abided. This action cheapens the effort that myself and the few like me put into it for a true honor of distinction.

I am deeply disappointed in the Scouting Organization for caving to the pressure of outside forces that no longer allow men to have anything of their very own. Certainly not anything of any value. The bonds of fraternity have been broken by allowing the weak to lead and the strong to be cast aside by the wailing multitude of the common.

Shameful that this is the example of leadership that this generation is now fooled into believing is just.
Wait, how does it cheapen it?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

What are you talking about? You speak as though the requirements to achieve the rank of "Eagle Scout" have been lowered or made easier so that girls can "feel a part" of the program. As far as I'm reading they will have to complete the exact same tasks alongside other girls in order to receive that coveted rank.
[FONT=&quot] girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor.[/FONT]
The operative word here being, "earned."

You said:
No substitution for the full amount of work is abided. This action cheapens the effort that myself and the few like me put into it for a true honor of distinction.
But nowhere have I seen that girls won't have to go through the exact same tasks as boys to earn that title. Now, if they DID make it easier for girls to become Eagle Scouts, then I would have a problem with it.

You sound triggered because girls are getting an opportunity to do the same tasks as you alongside other girls.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Feminism at its finest. [emoji208]
That's actually true - if feminism has an upside (it rarely does) then this would be it. I know you meant it sarcastically but I really don't understand why this is a big deal to Conservatives. No rights or liberties are being infringed on - the government isn't restricting anyone's freedom, it's just that a lot of girls would rather go camping instead of learning how to sew.

Inclusiveness isn't ALWAYS a Leftist conspiracy to turn your kids gay, (but sometimes it is) sometimes it's just courteous to let girls learn how to pitch a tent.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Wait, how does it cheapen it?

Because offering a path to Eagle outside of the framework of the Boy Scouts will necessarily change how the requirements are met because they are separate programs. Those programs will not adopt the framework of the Boy Scouts and that will change the requirements, particularly their rigor. The Explorers program is an all playtime joke and now an Explorer will have a path to Eagle so we can include all genders? Blasphemy.

If you haven't done it, then you don't know. It's a slap in the face.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I just think they should change the name to "The Scouts" or something. The program has always been about more than just "Boys" - it's not a frat club or anything. The skills taught to these young people are interesting to both genders, so I don't see the problem with it.

Speaking of which, did anyone here go to or have a child participate in anything like "Royal Rangers" or "Missionettes"? It was like a church based version of the Boys Scouts and Girl Scouts. There were always girls who wanted to learn some of the stuff we were doing. Most of the guys thought it was cool and didn't mind inviting them over to learn how to tie a bowline or start a fire using only available lighter, or the proper way to sharpen a knife. We didn't think they were weird or anything - we thought it was cool stuff to learn about so we just thought the girls were being normal humans.
we had the ra's (royal ambassadors, i think). that was actually my first tent camping experience and also the first summer camp i went to. a few of the dads liked outdoors stuff and we lived near the bankhead forest, so that helped. we did a 10-mile hike every year to raise money for the lottie moon offering.

i was in scouts age 11-18 (worked summer camp 'til 20), and i remember there being one explorer troop in tuscaloosa that was co-ed. i don't remember any more in the black warrior council

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Because offering a path to Eagle outside of the framework of the Boy Scouts will necessarily change how the requirements are met because they are separate programs. Those programs will not adopt the framework of the Boy Scouts and that will change the requirements, particularly their rigor. The Explorers program is an all playtime joke and now an Explorer will have a path to Eagle so we can include all genders? Blasphemy.

If you haven't done it, then you don't know. It's a slap in the face.
That's a mental leap you are making. There is no guarantee that the program requirements will change. That's not been stated anywhere. In the spirit of mutual agreement I will concede that it WOULD cheapen IF they were to make it easier for girls to become Eagle Scouts than their male counterparts.

Let me ask you this hypothetical. If the girls had to do the EXACT same tasks as the boys in order to earn that status, would it bother you? They aren't making boys and girls learn together - they have to be in separate dens, so boys are losing nothing, they can still have camaraderie with other boys and strive together, it's now girls don't have to strive ONLY for selling the most cookies.

I would urge you NOT to use the "If you haven't done it, then you don't know." argument. It's currently being employed by many minorities who feel marginalized against white people as a way to shut them up. Other people can have legitimate opinions on the issue - though of course yours certainly carries weight since you HAVE been through the process. But I would also say that perhaps your proximity to the issue may not allow you to be completely unbiased or objective about all this. Not saying that's a fact, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I'm shutting it down for the day. I know if I try to talk about this any more then the profanity filter is going to get worked overtime. Y'all have fun.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.